Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Tournaments Forum

Tournaments Forum

  1. Subscriber 64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    26 Mar '15 23:25
    I'm sick of this, it has happened on more than one occasion now.

    Basically, one person in a group loses a certain number of points that they feel they cannot win/advance to the next round, and so they just resign all of their other games, regardless of whether they was in a winning/drawing/losing position or not.

    It not only keeps their rating nice and low (sandbagging) but also it affects the overall standings of the group...
    their actions can change who goes through to the next round, it is unfair and selfish.

    I'm not going to name names or point fingers, but I hope at least people know where I am coming from, and can share their opinions on the matter.

    Perhaps it is possible these people can be restricted to enter certain tournaments? I think this blatant act of sandbagging and unsporting conduct should be weeded out.

    Surely every game matters? Why the hell resign from clearly drawing/winning positions? It's just not fair
  2. Subscriber venda
    Dave
    28 Mar '15 15:16
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    I'm sick of this, it has happened on more than one occasion now.

    Basically, one person in a group loses a certain number of points that they feel they cannot win/advance to the next round, and so they just resign all of their other games, regardless of whether they was in a winning/drawing/losing position or not.

    It not only keeps their rating ...[text shortened]... game matters? Why the hell resign from clearly drawing/winning positions? It's just not fair
    I can understand why people do this Zak, particularly if they have hundreds of games on the go.They wish to prioritise the games/tournaments where they have the most chance of success.It is inconsiderate to the players who may have already beaten the ones they resign against in the tournament but everyone has differennt priorities and ways of playing.
    For example,the policy of the clan Metallica, is players are obliged to resign all their remaining games once the result of the clan challenge has been decided one way or the other.
    I don't think there's a way to stop it or police it.We just have to live with it.
    I suppose you could keep a list of the culprits and not enter any tournaments they are also entered in but this isn't follproof as they may enter at the last minute.
  3. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    01 Apr '15 15:00
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    I'm sick of this, it has happened on more than one occasion now.

    Basically, one person in a group loses a certain number of points that they feel they cannot win/advance to the next round, and so they just resign all of their other games, regardless of whether they was in a winning/drawing/losing position or not.

    It not only keeps their rating ...[text shortened]... game matters? Why the hell resign from clearly drawing/winning positions? It's just not fair
    So what exactly is your proposal?

    You vented your anger about the at people who you don't perceive as sportsmen. And I can share your anger a bit.

    But what would be the lever? You would have to form a committee with the power to ban people from tournamnets. How can you form such a committee without being accused of unfair behaviour from that people?
    Look at the forum moderation if you need an example.
  4. Subscriber 64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    01 Apr '15 17:24
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    So what exactly is your proposal?

    You vented your anger about the at people who you don't perceive as sportsmen. And I can share your anger a bit.

    But what would be the lever? You would have to form a committee with the power to ban people from tournamnets. How can you form such a committee without being accused of unfair behaviour from that people?
    Look at the forum moderation if you need an example.
    I had nothing specific to propose, not saying there is a real good solution to be honest, if anything I was just putting this out there in the hope that certain people notice and maybe think twice about just resigning all their games... so perhaps to simply encourage fair play.

    It's basically the same argument as any that oppose sandbagging, and that's probably been debated to death on here.

    I could send a PM instead, but that probably wouldn't work either shrugs
  5. Subscriber henjutsu
    InsectRightsAdvocate
    13 Apr '15 20:13
    If a player resigns from all games in a tournament in one day, then they should become ineligible to enter another tournament for 3 months. In the rare instance where they legitimately resigned all their games in one day, they should be eligible to petition for a prompt review.

    Would something like that help?
  6. 15 Apr '15 10:50
    Originally posted by henjutsu
    If a player resigns from all games in a tournament in one day, then they should become ineligible to enter another tournament for 3 months. In the rare instance where they legitimately resigned all their games in one day, they should be eligible to petition for a prompt review.

    Would something like that help?
    Rules like this might encourage people to simply not move at all. I would rather people resign immediately instead of ignoring the game and letting time run out.