1. Standard memberelohiym chanan
    under construction
    presently mired...
    Moves
    27 Jan '06 16:18
    I found this interesting... Of the 16 recently ended banded tournaments (on the first page of the tournament overview page), only one was won by a player currently rated within the starting rating of the tournament. There were a couple of others won by players close to the starting rating, but most are now rated considerably higher than the tournament they won.
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    27 Jan '06 16:27
    actually people have realized that a lot of players enter banded tournaments after taking a deep dip in their rating.

And even if players enetered quite correct, the improving ones will probably win, these are the ones whose rating climbs through the process 🙂
  3. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '06 23:31
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    actually people have realized that a lot of players enter banded tournaments after taking a deep dip in their rating.

And even if players enetered quite correct, the improving ones will probably win, these are the ones whose rating climbs through the process 🙂
    What can you do? I entered a up to 1599 or under duel and now am rated over 1700. I entered the tournament in good faith. I then decided to stop playing at work and to use databases. My rating rose.

The tournament in question is still in the first round and in the meantime I must have finished 50-odd games.

Have I done something wrong?
  4. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 01:24
    Originally posted by Ponderable

Exactly. Players that suffer a plummet in their rating due to"whatever" are between a rock and another hard place because they are prevented from nominating into a higher band should they wish to.

Banded tourneys are neccessary to limit the entrants to a "maximum rating" but should be open to the "minimum rating".

So the tourney description should read :

Blah blah banded tourney for entrants not rated higher than ( band's highest rating) in the last 30 days.

Hope that all makes sense.

skeeter
  5. Hawaii
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 01:32
    Originally posted by elohiym chanan
    I found this interesting... Of the 16 recently ended banded tournaments (on the first page of the tournament overview page), only one was won by a player currently rated within the starting rating of the tournament. There were a couple of others won by players close to the starting rating, but most are now rated considerably higher than the tournament they won.
    not to mention if you just won a tournament you have obviously been doing pretty good, and depending on the type of tourney you had to win many consecutive games to get that title, in which case your rating is going to rise.
  6. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 12:13
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Banded tourneys are neccessary to limit the entrants to a "maximum rating" but should be open to the "minimum rating".

So the tourney description should read :

Blah blah banded tourney for entrants not rated higher than ( band's highest rating) in the last 30 days.
    Actually, this is the first post you made that does not cause me to vomit, to cry, or something. Cherish that one time rec you get from me.
  7. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 19:09
    Originally posted by Aiko
    Actually, this is the first post you made that does not cause me to vomit, to cry, or something. Cherish that one time rec you get from me.
    Oops....that one slipped in under the radar. I promise it wont happen again.

More vilification and vile vexations on the way.

skeeter
  8. Joined
    20 Jun '03
    Moves
    29 Jan '06 00:30
    If you win a banded tournament it is likely your rating will have risen above the top of the band simply by winning games in the tournament.
  9. Joined
    14 Sep '04
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 00:06
    Originally posted by elohiym chanan
    Almost by definition whoever wins the banded tournament are better the than most players in that band (at least over that period of time) i.e. their rating is likely to be the highest after the event. Given they are going through a period of good form it is no surprise that they might be 100 points higher than the banding at the end of the tournament. The results from the tournament alone would probably be enough to achieve that rating. In fact, it would be more suprising if they still were within the band.

On the other hand players who land up c.500 points above the band probably entered it knowing that they normally play way above that level. Fair play would suggest they shouldn't enter it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree