1. Standard memberNicolaiS
    Cannabist
    's-Gravenhage
    Moves
    19 Apr '04 06:30
    In case anybody is wondering. I have resigned my match in the tournement against Vikthor. I will also resign the other one. I have come to this drastic conclusion after some other matches I played against him. In those matches is was either clear I would win or that a draw was inevitable. After having tried to make conversation about this Vikthor kept on dragging the matches for over 20 and 30 moves.

I have decided to not play him anymore. Unfortunately I have been hooked up in the same group of the tournement. Considering both our ratings I knew my decision would not influence the outcome of the tour as we both are not strong enough to end up one in our group.

Whenever I meet him again in a tour I will make sure that my decision will not effect the outcome of the tour. Whenever that would be an issue I will play ... and beat him.

Thanks for reading
  2. Joined
    28 Jun '01
    Moves
    19 Apr '04 15:08
    No offense, but your resignation could have a hand in deciding the outcome of your group. This tourney does have a ratings restriction to make it more competitive, hence everyone in it for all practical purposes has a chance to win. Looking at the groups, your rating was a little over 100 points less than the highest ranked player in the group. To me, that's a not much of a difference in ratings. I suggest in the future, don't enter any tourneys that a player you don't wish to play has signed up for. Good luck in the rest of your games.

3. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    19 Apr '04 15:53
    Originally posted by NicolaiS
    In case anybody is wondering. I have resigned my match in the tournement against Vikthor. I will also resign the other one. I have come to this drastic conclusion after some other matches I played against him. In those matches is was either clear I would win or that a draw was inevitable. After having tried to make conversation about this Vikthor kept on dr ...[text shortened]... f the tour. Whenever that would be an issue I will play ... and beat him.

Thanks for reading
    I guess he's not dragging only your games,he does it in several tourny matches:I'm waiting impatiently the end of his two games against Orkiboy in the Rookie Cup 2,so the next round can start (there's another game going but is near to end).
    I watched those 2 games almost every day and in the last month they made 2 or 3 moves,slowing the entire tournament...........
  4. Standard memberNicolaiS
    Cannabist
    's-Gravenhage
    Moves
    20 Apr '04 03:181 edit
    Originally posted by vacostner
    No offense, but your resignation could have a hand in deciding the outcome of your group. This tourney does have a ratings restriction to make it more competitive, hence everyone in it for all practical purposes has a chance to win. Looki ...[text shortened]... o play has signed up for. Good luck in the rest of your games.

After thinking about it some time I agree with you that your solution would have been better. But I took the chance of 1/4 that we would'n't been joined in the same group ... never trust statistics 😉

Ravello is right too. My games weren't the only ones he stalled. Some other players I frequently play have mentioned it ... and I don't think its a coincidence that happens in matches he is losing.

As from now on I will avoid tours he plays in, which will not be easy as he joing almost anyone he can.
  5. Joined
    28 Jun '01
    Moves
    20 Apr '04 12:01
    It can be frustrating when you have an advantage and your opponent starts dragging things out. Just have a little patience and be ready to hit the T/O button when his timebank runs out in the tourney. 😉
  6. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    21 Apr '04 09:43
    While it can be frustrating when someone (in this case Vikthor) drags their heels, you have to accept this as part of the game. They cannot drag their heels forever, and there are time-limit restrictions to ensure that regular moves take place.

Whatever happend to patience? Rewarding Vikthor by resigning your games isn't going to solve anything. It just smacks of childishness.

On several occasions I've thrown games away that I thought I had in the bag. :'( So it is quite legitimate to play until the final result is certain.

I tend to resign losing games quite early, finding it far preferable to conserve time and energy for winnable games.

But to each his own.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree