1. Donationrichjohnson
    TANSTAAFL
    Walking on sunshine
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 22:48
    I was robbed!!

http://www.redhotpawn.com/tournament/view.php?tid=1013&rndid=1&issummaryview=
    (see Group 6)
  2. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    06 Apr '07 03:30
    Originally posted by richjohnson
    I was robbed!!

(see Group 6)
    Tournament 1013
  3. Standard memberusmc7257
    semper fi
    Moves
    06 Apr '07 14:54
    I was robbed!!

(see Group 6)
    thats rough man.
  4. Joined
    21 Sep '06
    Moves
    06 Apr '07 17:091 edit
    I wish they'd allow some way of allowing stronger players to bow out of Banded tournaments gracefully. I joined a number of Banded tourneys when I first joined and didn't know much about how tourneys worked. Now I really don't belong, and I'm far from the only one. I could resign games, of course, but that makes me uncomfortable and that's not really a permanent solution.

Perhaps if one's rating ever gets 150 (100? 200?) points above the upper band, you won't move on to the next round and the second place player moves on instead.

Maybe this has already been suggested, I dunno.

** EDIT ** In the OP's case, the high rating was due to computer assistance; but the above idea would work regardless.
  5. Standard memberHindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    Chess Club HQ
    Moves
    07 Apr '07 11:541 edit
    I was robbed!!

(see Group 6)
    Except you weren't - looks like you go through by default. Congrats!

Tournament 1013
  6. Joined
    26 Sep '05
    Moves
    07 Apr '07 12:35
    Originally posted by Hindstein
    Except you weren't - looks like you go through by default. Congrats!

Tournament 1013
    He would have gone through, but it looks like the cheat was caught after the second round had already started, so richjohnson is right to be annoyed!
  7. Joined
    20 Jun '03
    Moves
    07 Apr '07 23:30
    Originally posted by DawgHaus
    I wish they'd allow some way of allowing stronger players to bow out of Banded tournaments gracefully. I joined a number of Banded tourneys when I first joined and didn't know much about how tourneys worked. Now I really don't belong, and I'm far from the only one. I could resign games, of course, but that makes me uncomfortable and that's not really a p ...[text shortened]... he high rating was due to computer assistance; but the above idea would work regardless.
    Problem is that in a tournament with large group sizes it is likelt the player who tops the table will go well above the band limits. Should he/she be penalised for winning? What players would do of course is make sure they stay within the band by losing open invite games.
  8. Joined
    21 Sep '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '07 19:07
    Originally posted by jayaitch
    Problem is that in a tournament with large group sizes it is likelt the player who tops the table will go well above the band limits. Should he/she be penalised for winning? What players would do of course is make sure they stay within the band by losing open invite games.
    That's why the cutoff would be well above the upper limit. It wouldn't penalize anyone whose average performance is within the original band. Most steady players do not have ratings that fluctuate by hundreds of points - only those that are a) rapidly improving or b) quite underrated to begin with. These are the groups that don't really belong in a Banded tourney.

Sandbagging in general is a separate problem. My proposal neither solves it nor makes it worse.
  9. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 19:38
    That's why the cutoff would be well above the upper limit. It wouldn't penalize anyone whose average performance is within the original band. Most steady players do not have ratings that fluctuate by hundreds of points - only those that are a) rapidly improving or b) quite underrated to begin with. These are the groups that don't really belong in a Bande ...[text shortened]... dbagging in general is a separate problem. My proposal neither solves it nor makes it worse.
    or
    C. Play many many games on this site (50+) at a speed which is probably not appropriate for correspondence chess (i.e. me).
  10. Joined
    21 Sep '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 21:191 edit
    Heh. Fair enough, zeb. What's your opinion of this idea?

BTW I subsequently posted this over in the Site Ideas forum.
  11. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    11 Apr '07 12:50
    Heh. Fair enough, zeb. What's your opinion of this idea?

BTW I subsequently posted this over in the Site Ideas forum.
    The idea is interesting, my main problem with it is that anyone who is at a lower skill level could easily improve in the time that it takes for a second round to start. For this reason, I think the idea of allowing them to bow out gracefully would be nice, but forcing them out because they studied tactics for 15 minutes per night seems unreasonable (a 1300 player who did this would easily move out of their band in any tournament with a timeout longer than 1 day).
  12. Standard memberHindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    Chess Club HQ
    Moves
    11 Apr '07 13:001 edit
    Originally posted by davidmacc
    He would have gone through, but it looks like the cheat was caught after the second round had already started, so richjohnson is right to be annoyed!
    Oops, you're right. I didn't see the little "2" link for the sencond round.

For what it's worth, I agree with you Zeb. With the length of time it takes for tournaments to get to the end, it is perfectly acceptable for even the laziest of students ("Hi" ) to rise significantly above the original rating boudaries.

I'm in a 7/0 tournament rated 1400-1599 that I joined in 2005 that it now in it's 4th round. It has been really hard work to stay in, so if I break 1800 (not likely) before the next round, should I be forced out? I don't think so.

The only issue is that of those new subscribers who know they are very much stronger than the top band and end up 500 points above before even the end of the 1st round - now that is more of a problem. Perhaps the implementation of something that would allow said people to stand down would be useful.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree