1. Standard memberslappy115
    Slappy slap slap
    Under your bed...
    Moves
    04 Apr '08 16:13
    Oh so long ago we tried to get a tournament called "The Drunken King, thematical" going. Something happened and there was no thematic tournament but a tournament was still held and no one (except me and one other person) used the opening.

Why don't we try and get another one started that is thematical? It is a goofy opening that's fun to play (we still have Grob tournaments and that opening sucks harder than a vacuum).

Who's all with me?
  2. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '08 16:23
    Originally posted by slappy115
    Oh so long ago we tried to get a tournament called "The Drunken King, thematical" going. Something happened and there was no thematic tournament but a tournament was still held and no one (except me and one other person) used the opening.

Why don't we try and get another one started that is thematical? It is a goofy opening that's fun to play (we still have Grob tournaments and that opening sucks harder than a vacuum).

Who's all with me?
    A brilliant idea, for those who don't already know the Hammerschlag goes 1.f3! e5 2.Kf2!!
  3. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    04 Apr '08 16:30
    Good idea I agree........
  4. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '08 16:34
    I'm down. Lets get it on.
  5. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    04 Apr '08 16:49
    Go on then. I could do with a laugh.
  6. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    04 Apr '08 23:31
    Sounds interesting to me. What would be the initial position? White's first two moves are obvious, but what would be black's one response? I suppose 1. ... e5 makes the most sense, but I can see other good moves, too.
  7. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '08 01:10
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Sounds interesting to me. What would be the initial position? White's first two moves are obvious, but what would be black's one response? I suppose 1. ... e5 makes the most sense, but I can see other good moves, too.
    1..e5 is by far the most common response and it can transpose into nearly all of the Hammerschlags variations.
  8. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    05 Apr '08 12:461 edit
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47
    1. ... e5 is by far the most common response and it can transpose into nearly all of the Hammerschlags variations.
    Then let there be the tournament!

1. f3 e5 2. Kf2
  9. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    06 Apr '08 00:10
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Then let there be the tournament!

[fen]rnbqkbnr/pppp1ppp/8/4p3/8/5P2/PPPPPKPP/RNBQ1BNR[/fen]

1. f3 e5 2. Kf2
    the majority would like this.. but whats wrong with black going 1..c5 and 2..d5 ? i personally like that setup better somehow..
    but e5 is nice..
  10. Standard memberscaredkitty
    Fearful Wanderer
    Where fear takes me
    Moves
    07 Apr '08 06:24
    Is there a way that the player using Black could choose the move, then Kf2 would be a mandatory response? I too would like to use 1...d5, but if it is not possible, 1...e5 is fine by me.
  11. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    07 Apr '08 16:22
    Originally posted by scaredkitty
    Is there a way that the player using Black could choose the move, then Kf2 would be a mandatory response? I too would like to use 1...d5, but if it is not possible, 1...e5 is fine by me.
    I don't think thats possible. I wish it were though, because lines that don't involve e5 are much easier for white.
  12. Nixa, MO USA
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 22:29
    Just dumb on my part but is this really a valid opening??? What I mean is are there any advantage down the road for this position, or is it just a theoretical opening to show off strategies that discourage castling?? I would think it would be almost a sure loss against an evenly rated opponent, would it not???
    Thx, Gary Thomas
  13. Nixa, MO USA
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 22:35
    What's Grob?? Get Rooks off Board???
  14. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 02:08
    Originally posted by Gary Thomas
    What's Grob?? Get Rooks off Board???
    The grob is the opening 1.g4
  15. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 02:17
    Originally posted by Gary Thomas
    Just dumb on my part but is this really a valid opening??? What I mean is are there any advantage down the road for this position, or is it just a theoretical opening to show off strategies that discourage castling?? I would think it would be almost a sure loss against an evenly rated opponent, would it not???
    Thx, Gary Thomas
    The idea behind it is to give you a more developed king for the endgame. It is surprisingly solid, many people underestimate it and that causes their downfall. I use this opening all the time in RHP blitz and uchess.com. I occationally beat people that are even higher rated then me with this. I have scored a draw against a 2050 rated player(that rating is a CC rating, but I would expect their blitz rating to be at least 1800). I have about a 4:1 win loss ratio with it too 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree