1. Joined
    14 Dec '04
    Moves
    06 Nov '05 09:102 edits
    Hi Everbody,

I have a two-fold problem I should like your feedback on, firstly the ethical and then the practical.

I entered a "rookie" tournament on joining this site, I wanted to play games against other more serious-minded players, rather than casual surfers (who vanish) and the rookie tournament system seemed a sensible vehicle. I guess logically that ratings were always going to diverge rapidly in this style of tournament and why rookies are excluded from most tournaments until there ratings have settled.

I now find myself several hundred points above my peers (bar one), I have spoken to other players in this tournament, but with no conclusive opinions. I know the second highest rated player has similar feelings to me. I have subsequently joined a team and entered another tournament so volume of games is now no longer an issue. I apologise to anybody who feels aggrieved by the situation (I've just been alerted to previous threads on these matters) and can only assure you that my motives were innocent.

So,

Firstly, What is my best course of action, see it through and apologise to my opponents for the situation, or, withdraw. If I withdraw somebody will have to get a bye in the next round and thus not play, if two of us withdraw (a possibility) then to keep the arithmetic correct (ie 16-8-4-2-1) two people will have to have byes.

Secondly, how does one withdraw from a tournamemt?

Your thoughts please

Kind regards
    Guy
  2. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    06 Nov '05 09:151 edit
    Originally posted by mmhare
    Hi Everbody,

I have a two-fold problem I should like your feedback on, firstly the ethical and then the practical.

I entered a "rookie" tournament on joining this site, I wanted to play games against other more serious-minded players, rather than casual surfers (who vanish) and the rookie tournament system seemed a sensible vehicle. I guess logically ...[text shortened]...
    Secondly, how does on withdraw from a tournamemt?

Your thoughts please

Kind regards
    Guy
    if you resignn your game before making any moves then no rating points will be deducted against, you, and tournament points will be given to your opponents.

🙂

find games by ...
    entering tournaments that suit you ( open rating or a very high rating band)
    or join a clan, then you will certainly meet your match imediately. ...
    or decide on your favourite time limit, then try to take a siege at that time limit, and hold it in your name against all comers.
    while you go through this process make and accept open invites occasionally.
  3. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    06 Nov '05 17:57
    Originally posted by flexmore
    if you resignn your game before making any moves then no rating points will be deducted against, you, and tournament points will be given to your opponents.

🙂

find games by ...
    entering tournaments that suit you ( open rating or a very high rating band)
    or join a clan, then you will certainly meet your match imediately. ...
    or decide on your fav ...[text shortened]... gainst all comers.
    while you go through this process make and accept open invites occasionally.
    Re : finding games - this is all sound advice , flex , but it doesn't apply here . I'm the second highest player in this tourny that mmhare is refering to . You missed an important point at the start of his post - that we both joined this tournament in frustration as provisionals . Once you've gotten your 20 games under your belt your advice is quite applicable (if obvious) . But it's damned hard to get into a clan , get into a tournament with players of comparable strength , or even get a match on the open invite board when you're a provisional . So we both joined this tournament thinking it was a way to pick up a couple more games against a player who wouldn't vanish .
    Now that the ratings have separated with time to a place which reflects the player's true strengths , we have in this tournament a rating spread going from hell to breakfast . I don't get a great deal of enjoyment from beating up on weak opponents . I don't want a little cup icon on my home page if it comes by doing this . I guess mmhare and I are talking about that unwritten grey area of that which may be legal but not quite moral . We know that we have have every right to stick it out and beat people 500 points lower to get a cup . But neither feel it's really "clean" , and have doubts as to what is the "right" thing to do . I would like the community of the rhp's imput on this situation as to what is the right thing here , not just the legal thing . That's why I reached out to him in the first place . But we seem to both be in the same situation , and neither know what to do .
  4. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    06 Nov '05 18:56
    This tourney started almost a year ago, and for all you knew the other "rookies at the time could all have achieved similar ratings to yourselves.

The fact you are both rated so much higher than the remaining players is in my opinion irrelevant and is not in a similar vein to what people are complaining about, namely people rated at say 1800+ losing a pile of games via timeout then joining a rated tounament several hundred points below their playing ability.

Play out the games. If you were to resign then the players you have previously beaten could feel aggrieved that they did not have the opportunity to progress in the tournament had you resigned from the tournament at the beginning.
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    06 Nov '05 19:04
    Originally posted by Moldy Crow
    That's why I reached out to him in the first place .
    I slapped you the last time you tried to reach out to me.

Cheek.

D
  6. DonationAnthem
    The Ferocious Camel
    g1
    Moves
    06 Nov '05 23:26
    I'm in a similar situation, though not exactly the same. I joined this site several years ago, but about two years ago I stopped playing chess (at this site and elsewhere). When I started playing again a few months back, I joined two banded tournaments. They were for players whose rating was a little bit lower than my old rating (somewhere in the mid to low 1400s). I expected that after a two year break from chess I would be at about that skill level. To my surprize, my rating has jumped to the lower 1500s and so I'm rated higher than the other people in the tournaments.

My plan is to PM the people who I'm playing against in the next round and if they would rather that I withdraw, I'll resign the games before moving.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree