Tournaments Forum

Tournaments Forum

  1. Standard memberHindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    Chess Club HQ
    Joined
    15 Jun '05
    Moves
    18704
    15 May '07 17:52
    ...who gets paired up with sealion in this tourney - Tournament 2056
    I knew there was a reason why I didn't enter this one!
  2. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Joined
    04 Sep '04
    Moves
    245624
    15 May '07 18:27
    Originally posted by Hindstein
    ...who gets paired up with sealion in this tourney - Tournament 2056
    I knew there was a reason why I didn't enter this one!
    Yep , poor bugger.

    Another reason why banded tournament entries should be based on your highest ever rating.
  3. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Joined
    02 Sep '04
    Moves
    174290
    15 May '07 19:38
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Yep , poor bugger.

    Another reason why banded tournament entries should be based on your highest ever rating.
    Still doesn't work because of inflation. I've been in the 1960's, but I can't play consistently at that level. The admins either have to remove the players or have mods to do it for them.
  4. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Joined
    13 Aug '05
    Moves
    5930
    15 May '07 20:14
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    Still doesn't work because of inflation. I've been in the 1960's, but I can't play consistently at that level. The admins either have to remove the players or have mods to do it for them.
    I would think that it would work because everyone will have peaks in their ratings graph which are higher than they are consistently able to play, so it should average out.
  5. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Joined
    02 Sep '04
    Moves
    174290
    15 May '07 22:062 edits
    Originally posted by leisurelysloth
    I would think that it would work because everyone will have peaks in their ratings graph which are higher than they are consistently able to play, so it should average out.
    Maybe, but I think it would make sandbagging easier, since people would never be motivated to raise their level of play so they could win tourneys easier.

    Edit: Also, there are a lot of people who play just a few games at a time and choose to play them in tourneys. Even if everyone peaks and plays others who peaked around the same, they'd still be likely to be paired with someone who is at a real 1900 strength, which basically just gives us the problems we have now, where nobody else has a shot at winning.
  6. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Joined
    13 Aug '05
    Moves
    5930
    16 May '07 05:54
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    Maybe, but I think it would make sandbagging easier, since people would never be motivated to raise their level of play so they could win tourneys easier.

    Edit: Also, there are a lot of people who play just a few games at a time and choose to play them in tourneys. Even if everyone peaks and plays others who peaked around the same, they'd still be li ...[text shortened]... hich basically just gives us the problems we have now, where nobody else has a shot at winning.
    Perhaps, but I suspect that if someone is truly determined to suppress their own rating and sandbag their way into easy tournament wins, then they'll manage to do it regardless of the checks that are put into the system.
  7. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Joined
    04 Sep '04
    Moves
    245624
    16 May '07 10:32
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    Still doesn't work because of inflation. I've been in the 1960's, but I can't play consistently at that level. The admins either have to remove the players or have mods to do it for them.
    It could be done similar to the tournament entry system.

    Your highest ever rating less say 150 points would determine the minimum band for banded tournaments you could enter.

    A highest ever 1901 rating would have a banded entry ceiling of 1751, which woud man they couldn't enter a banded tournament where the lowest entry banding was below 1751.

    So a banded 1750-1950 woud be a no go for them but but a banded 1800-1900 would be OK.

    It would be annoying that some tournments are no go when the higher rating is within range but we need to utilise the lower rating option to keep banded matches more realistic.

    It also stops those with rating falls like sealion (who has been at 2200) from entering and spoiling a banded tournament for 1550/1750 rated players.
Back to Top