1. Standard memberSnowman606
    Playing badly
    Underground
    Moves
    21 Aug '06 21:21
    ...to have a banded tournament where entry is controlled by your highest EVER rating?

Surely that is a way of preventing situations in the lower banded tournaments where players formerly with ratings way above the level of the band entered, thereby ending the tournament as a genuine contest?

Just a thought (and one probably expressed before - if so I apologise for replicating a thread).
  2. London
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 00:37
    Originally posted by Snowman606
    ...to have a banded tournament where entry is controlled by your highest EVER rating?

Surely that is a way of preventing situations in the lower banded tournaments where players formerly with ratings way above the level of the band entered, thereby ending the tournament as a genuine contest?

Just a thought (and one probably expressed before - if so I apologise for replicating a thread).
    That wouldn't be too good, especially for lower rated players, who have at some time or another peaked at a rating and then fallen back. For example, I once peaked at 1405, meaning that I would be eligable for a 1400-1500 tourney which I would collapse in.
  3. Standard memberSnowman606
    Playing badly
    Underground
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 08:041 edit
    I'm suggesting it as an alternative rather than a replacement for the current banded tournaments.

The bands would need to be reasonably wide though as most players at the lower level have peaked 100-200 points above their normal level I suspect. But I think it would be fair as most players have had these peaks at some stage in their RHP lives (I'm currently in the middle of mine).

Most players (to use your example) who are normally at the 1400-1500 range have probably peaked in the 1500-1600 range which would make them ineligible for the tournament you would qualify for.
  4. Standard memberHindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    Chess Club HQ
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 11:21
    Originally posted by Freddie2006
    That wouldn't be too good, especially for lower rated players, who have at some time or another peaked at a rating and then fallen back. For example, I once peaked at 1405, meaning that I would be eligable for a 1400-1500 tourney which I would collapse in.
    You're right, but the same would be for all others too. Those native 1400 players are sure to have breached 1500 or 1600 once....

It might work, and it'll certainly be interesting to see who falls into which band.
  5. Standard memberThe Slow Pawn
    HIT THE LIGHTS
    Moves
    22 Aug '06 21:24
    Why not have something very simple, yet highly effective ...

When a player progresses to the next round of a banded tournament and he/she is 100 (or more) point above the max. rate width for that tournament, the 2nd best player of that group (or the loser of the duel) will advance instead ...

1.) Every round will automatically have only players in them who are, at the start of the tournament (or round) are more or less within the band
    2.) No-one is a loser (I have found many players who opted out of their own behalf when realising they are far stronger then the band they initially entered)

And yes, it is very frustrating to always have players who are far far stronger then the band (and by that I mean 300 or more points in almost every tournament)

How is that for a solution?
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 10:47
    Originally posted by The Slow Pawn
    Why not have something very simple, yet highly effective ...

When a player progresses to the next round of a banded tournament and he/she is 100 (or more) point above the max. rate width for that tournament, the 2nd best player of that group (or the loser of the duel) will advance instead ...

1.) Every round will automatically have only players ...[text shortened]... nd by that I mean 300 or more points in almost every tournament)

How is that for a solution?
    I am with this one. Even if the actual differnce is negiotable. Since in some tournaments, the sheer wins during the tourney would give a boost of 100 points...
  7. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 16:47
    I suppose you could code it but it's problematic. While you have a provisional rating, your rating can actually go up for a loss (and down with a win). Suppose you are a 1000 level player but fortunate enough to lose to a couple of 1800+ during your provisional period. It is entierly possible that you have a peak rating of around 1400 (I don't recall the actual RHP scoring adjustment, it might be 200 instead of 400)...
  8. Standard memberThe Slow Pawn
    HIT THE LIGHTS
    Moves
    01 Sep '06 00:00
    Originally posted by zebano
    I suppose you could code it but it's problematic. While you have a provisional rating, your rating can actually go up for a loss (and down with a win). Suppose you are a 1000 level player but fortunate enough to lose to a couple of 1800+ during your provisional period. It is entierly possible that you have a peak rating of around 1400 (I don't recall the actual RHP scoring adjustment, it might be 200 instead of 400)...
    Okay,

makes it simply, ban all p-plates from banded tournaments - I am sure that any subscriber will get to 20 games in no time and will understand why they can't enter those for the time being (hell they are enough open tournaments available all the time)

TsP

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree