1. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    29 Mar '03 09:49
    Is there any way you could make it so that when someone hasn't make a move in the requisite interval during a tournament game they are automatically timed out (i.e., without it being necessary for their opponent to claim the win)? In the 'It's a Knockout' tournament, for instance, most games are finished and all but a pair of games are nearing completion. The pair of games that are not even close to being finished are those of 'WhoCares' and 'rookie bill'. But when I was checking out how long it has been since the last move in their games, I saw that in one game nobody had moved in over 7 days. I understand that many people don't like timing each other out, but in tournament play these time limits should be enforced. Everybody gets held up by a couple of people without the courtesy to make their moves. If we make time-outs automatic for tournament games, then not only will tournaments go faster, but it will prevent the too nice among us from being deciiding to just wait and wait and wait.... while the rest of us want to get on with tournament we signed up for months ago.
  2. Joined
    15 Aug '02
    Moves
    29 Mar '03 11:49
    I agree, it's very frustrating. I must adit that I hadn't checked to see how long moves were taking but if it is the case that people are not movign within the time limit then they should be timed out automatically rather than leaving it up to their opponent to make the decision.
  3. Standard memberVarg
    Thinking...
    Odersfelt
    Moves
    29 Mar '03 17:47
    Also, it would remove the guilt of timing people out. In Quick Fire it is the name of the game, but it should be the case in other tournaments too.
  4. St Albans
    Moves
    29 Mar '03 21:28
    Alterntively, why not give the person who could claim victory a period of time to claim victory (say 7 or 14 days or even a 21 day cut-off) and then declare the game a draw if victory isn't claimed? Just an idea, might mean you won't feel so bad about claiming the win and will make things move faster for everyone else.
  5. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    30 Mar '03 02:33
    Originally posted by Elphinstone
    Alterntively, why not give the person who could claim victory a period of time to claim victory (say 7 or 14 days or even a 21 day cut-off) and then declare the game a draw if victory isn't claimed? Just an idea, might mean you won't feel so bad about claiming the win and will make things move faster for everyone else.
    That would still allow, at a minimum, a mere pair of moves to be made in a month. This is slow even for the 'Long Haul' tournament, it is ridiculous for tournaments with a 7 day timeout period.
  6. Joined
    15 Aug '02
    Moves
    30 Mar '03 13:14
    By making it automatic there is no guilt involved at all because the opponent can't do anything about it anyway. It should be a condition of playing in a tournament that you agree to make a move within a specified time limit or you lose the match.
  7. Donationlegionnaire
    Free Thinker
    New York City
    Moves
    31 Mar '03 05:34
    I agree. Look at the New Year tournament. Here we are just about in April already and still in the first round, and the vast majority of games have already finished. It's a knockout I and II are in a similar situation. At least in quickfire you're guaranteed a move a day or (usually) a T/O, except in the case of Godzillion, where it seems that people were nice enough to let him go on vacation for a few days without T/Oing him, but he told people ahead of time and said when he would be back.

I think in general, tournament play should be an automatic timeout - seven days is more than enough to make one move.

-mike
  8. Joined
    20 Feb '02
    Moves
    31 Mar '03 06:06
    I agree on the automatic time outs - at least then it would not feel like a dirty win so much

Andrew
  9. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    02 Apr '03 08:11
    11 days and counting since the last move in one of the games between Who Cares and rookie bill in the 'It's a Knockout Tournament'. Will this be remedied in the forseeable future?
  10. DonationChessNut
    Lightly Salted...
    Moves
    02 Apr '03 17:34
    I agree with automatic T/O's ! The 'On the Up' tournament has a few games dragging out. Namely mwest vs. Dustnrogers. Last move was March 17th. I haven't figured out why mwest hasn't taken a T/O yet.

It would be nice to be able to start the next round soon and the players that are left are dragging it out.

Bryan
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    02 Apr '03 21:24
    Ok. I understand your frustration

I will put my other current RHP project (clans) on hold for the time being and focus on this.

It will require quite a bit of testing, because one bug, and the whole site will hate me!😕

Give me a few days.

-Russ
  12. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    02 Apr '03 22:18
    Originally posted by Russ
    Ok. I understand your frustration

I will put my other current RHP project (clans) on hold for the time being and focus on this.

It will require quite a bit of testing, because one bug, and the whole site will hate me!😕

Give me a few days.

-Russ
    Thanks Russ, I appreciate it.
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    03 Apr '03 00:08
    Right, I have written this now, and I'm just testing it.

I have decided to auto-timeout after the timeout period expires plus 2 days. A manual timeout is possible at anytime, as it is now.

-Russ

14. Standard memberschweigi
    Member of Gonzo Clan
    Innsbruck, Austria
    Moves
    03 Apr '03 09:29
    I believe this 2 days are a very good compromise ... Thanx Russ

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree