Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Tournaments Forum

Tournaments Forum

  1. Donation Jacko
    Knock, Knock...?
    04 Feb '03 19:44
    ....unless by exstream luck it ended up the exact same system as before. This is the exact same as every other 2 player tournaments.

    i will still play but this is not what it said it would be

    David
  2. 04 Feb '03 21:23
    Originally posted by Jacko007
    ....unless by exstream luck it ended up the exact same system as before. This is the exact same as every other 2 player tournaments.

    i will still play but this is not what it said it would be

    David
    THIS IS BAD MANAGEMENT!!!!!!

    WHY NOT TELL THE TRUTH!!!!!
  3. Donation vaknso
    The Ambassador
    05 Feb '03 03:51
    Originally posted by Silver24
    THIS IS BAD MANAGEMENT!!!!!!

    WHY NOT TELL THE TRUTH!!!!!
    Give Russ and Chris a break. This is a lot of work for them. Have you seen the numbers of tournament they have put together for us? I did not check wheather you were a pawn star or not. I say again, Give Russ and Chris a break, I dont expect perfection from them any more than I expect from myself. They have done a wonderful job. They are not here to deceive or mislead you. They are here so you can enjoy a game of chess for fractions of pennies a day or for free if you are not a pawn star.
    John
  4. Standard member RmX
    Coucou !
    05 Feb '03 08:59
    Yes John you're right. It's easier to critic than congratulate, as Chris and Russ deserve it.
    Rémi
  5. Donation belgianfreak
    stitching you up
    05 Feb '03 14:23
    Originally posted by Silver24
    THIS IS BAD MANAGEMENT!!!!!!

    WHY NOT TELL THE TRUTH!!!!!
    If (which I think you are) you are correct that the pairings were done b the old "non random" system I can assure you thet C&R DIDN'T LIE! I'm sure that when they coded the tourney they thought it would turn out randomly. They just got it wrong is all.

    & I'm sure they'll be working on how to get it right next time

  6. Donation bbarr
    Chief Justice
    05 Feb '03 18:13
    Originally posted by Silver24
    THIS IS BAD MANAGEMENT!!!!!!

    WHY NOT TELL THE TRUTH!!!!!
    Relax, it's not the end of the world. And one mistake doesn't constitute bad management. If you knew the extent to which this site has grown in complexity and playability over the past two years you'd realize how ridiculous you sound.
  7. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    05 Feb '03 22:57 / 1 edit
    Sorry for all the disappointment. Nothing has changed as far as the groups are concerned.

    But I must say, to my recollection, I have never posted through feedback or the forums saying that they would be random at any point. I may have said that I would look at it - but never that they actually *are* random. (I will get to it, but there are other priorities at the moment.)

    Please search for any post where I said the contrary, and I will humbly eat my words....

    -Russ
  8. 05 Feb '03 23:09
    Originally posted by Russ
    Sorry for all the disappointment. Nothing has changed as far as the groups are concerned.

    But I must say, to my recollection, I have never posted through feedback or the forums saying that they would be random at any point. I may have said that I would look at it - but never that they actually *are* random. (I will get to it, but there are other prioritie ...[text shortened]... search for any post where I said the contrary, and I will humbly eat my words....

    -Russ
    As a non-participator to this tournament, I think I can be rather objective. Here is what the tournament itself says, pretty clear I'd think:

    Name It's a Knockout II
    Description Head to head, winner goes through, random pairings...
    Timeout 7 days


  9. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    06 Feb '03 08:41
    Ah! That is pretty clear! I was curious where all this expectation of random pairings had come from.

    Ok, explanation time. Chris has been creating the recent tournaments - and they should never have been listed as random (I coded the tournaments, and they are not random in the way everyone appears to want them to be).

    Double apologies to all and eating words humbly right this second....(for breakfast)

    -Russ
  10. Donation Rhymester
    and RedHotTed
    06 Feb '03 09:14
    Originally posted by Russ

    Please search for any post where I said the contrary, and I will humbly eat my words....

    -Russ
    If only we could... hint... hint....
  11. 06 Feb '03 22:47
    Come on guys, give Chris & Russ a break will ya. They're doing a bloody excellent job here.
    Does it really matter who you've got in the tournament, just pit your wit against the person the other side of the board. No two games are every the same.

    Laters

    Nigel
  12. Donation ChessNut
    Lightly Salted...
    07 Feb '03 00:00
    I agree Nigel! They are doing a great job with the site and besides, in a real tourney you wouldn't necessarily get matched up with someone with an 'equal' rating. I have more words to say about it but I don't want to get censored. I think random pairings would be cool but it won't bring me anymore enjoyment than playing in the current ones. Besides, will the players crying about it now like it when a 1100 rated player gets matched up with Tebb? (Which, in most cases wouldn't happen the way they do it now.) Or will we hear more fussing about the fact that it wasn't fair.
  13. 07 Feb '03 21:04
    Originally posted by Noseyparker
    Come on guys, give Chris & Russ a break will ya. They're doing a bloody excellent job here.
    Does it really matter who you've got in the tournament, just pit your wit against the person the other side of the board. No two games are every the same.

    Laters

    Nigel
    I agree with Noseyparker.,but I think I might miss the one I wanted,because I entered first two,but I am waiting now.
    Someone tell me to enter.
    I Do have convidence.
    Mari
  14. 08 Feb '03 10:21

    Someone tell me to enter.
    I Do have convidence.
    Mari[/b]
    Enter, Mari.
    Gil.