1. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    31 Jan '03 14:06
    Could we have a different time system for (some?) tourneys rather than X days per move? Could a clock start for each player with Y days TOTAL for the match. That way all games must finish after Yx2 has elapsed, and the next rounds start could be known in advance...

This is just an idea for people to discuss if they think it has potential. I'm not sayting it's a good one...

2 potential problems:
    1) people in the US would (probably) always have the last move over people from Europe, meaning the European's clock would be ticking while he slept.
    2) insomniacs and their squirrel hosts would rule (yes Mark, I'm thinking of you)

But, if the time given was long enough it could work. What's long enough? you ask. I don't know, but if you think that a 40 move game with a 7 day timeout could last 1.5 years, I think it could be shorter than that..

Any thoughts?
  2. Joined
    14 Aug '01
    Moves
    04 Feb '03 13:47
    I really like the idea.sounds like a lot of fun 🙄
  3. Amsterdam
    Moves
    04 Feb '03 19:12
    That would be cool indeed, you should notify the webmaster of this!
  4. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    09 Feb '03 13:30
    OK, that last idea didn't get much responce. Here's another one...

At the moment every tourney round is played over 2 games, 1 as white 1 as black. This makes sense because of the advantage being white is supposed to hold, but for me I have equal chance as either colour. Playing 2 matches also holds disadvantages:

1) draws are more probable (?)
    2) there is a chance, albeit a small one, that a weaker player could beat the best here, once. Two games in a row is not going to happen. only playing 1 game leaves more room for upsets & giant killing

I'm not suggesting this should be done for all tourneys, but maybe for some?
  5. Joined
    15 Aug '02
    Moves
    10 Feb '03 13:30
    Originally posted by belgianfreak

At the moment every tourney round is played over 2 games, 1 as white 1 as black. This makes sense because of the advantage being white is supposed to hold, but for me I have equal chance as either colour. Playing 2 matches also holds disadvantages:

1) draws are more probable (?)
    2) there is a chance, albeit a small one, that a weaker player coul ...[text shortened]... a row is not going to happen. only playing 1 game leaves more room for upsets & giant killing
    I like that and I like it because of the advantages. OK, so you might get drawn as black but that's just like being drawn away in the FA cup. Good suggestion 😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree