1. Blighty
    Moves
    02 Apr '09 23:09
    Is it against the rules to name and shame sandbaggers?
  2. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    03 Apr '09 12:57
    Don't think so but to make sure you are safe, you could just link the tournament 🙂
  3. Blighty
    Moves
    03 Apr '09 21:39
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Don't think so but to make sure you are safe, you could just link the tournament 🙂
    Tourni 3284

Previous ratings well over 150 above the rating band and even now coming down still massively over.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    05 Apr '09 18:03
    Originally posted by surtism
    Tourni 3284

Previous ratings well over 150 above the rating band and even now coming down still massively over.
    Tournament 3284
  5. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    23 Apr '09 12:30
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Getting beat is likely to harm your rating more so just make sure you win.
    Thanks for the advice. My opponent just melted down and I got timeout victories in both games.

On a side note, earlier this week I got two victories back to back against an opponent 150 points higher than me. For five minutes, I'm thinking "I'm invincible with my mad chess skills!" But then five minutes later, I lost two games back to back to a player 150 points lower than me. For five minutes, I'm thinking "I suck at this; I should never play this game again."

But then I realized that neither one of those things is true and I signed up for another tournie. You just have to learn to roll with the punches. Enjoy the victories, hopefully learn from the losses and enjoy the process.

Thanks again for the support and advice and to all the people I have the good fortune to play on here, all the best and hope you enjoy the ride!

Steve
  6. Joined
    05 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 Apr '09 12:21
    Good for you Steve

He's just timed out on me too.

Like you I think we just have to take a healthy approach to what is, after all, a game and something we should be doing for fun and relaxation.

Al
  7. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    30 Apr '09 13:40
    Originally posted by mciala
    Good for you Steve

He's just timed out on me too.

Like you I think we just have to take a healthy approach to what is, after all, a game and something we should be doing for fun and relaxation.

Al
    You're right, Al. I'm on a particularly nasty ratings slide at the moment and after a string of losses, it's easy to lose confidence in my game. Have to keep reminding myself of the 'fun and relaxation' part. I guess nobody burns out when they're on a winning streak. 😉

Congrats on your victories!

All the best and thanks very much for the commiseration. It is very much appreciated.

Take care,
    Steve
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 May '09 16:53
    I am playing against a player in a tournament started in December 2008 (long haul, I am not complaining about the slowness in moves) and now I am trying to time the inevitable draw (as we both have a pawn and a king, while pawns are about to be taken) according to the 'wave' this player is happily demonstrating between a 1700 and 1000 rating.

Which might have something to do with the over 1500 games he has in progress.
  9. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    06 May '09 17:44
    Originally posted by tansje
    I am playing against a player in a tournament started in December 2008 (long haul, I am not complaining about the slowness in moves) and now I am trying to time the inevitable draw (as we both have a pawn and a king, while pawns are about to be taken) according to the 'wave' this player is happily demonstrating between a 1700 and 1000 rating.

Which might have something to do with the over 1500 games he has in progress.
    hmm, i think that player might be under discussion in the 'vacation flag' thread as well.
  10. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    06 May '09 23:00
    Originally posted by Blackamp
    hmm, i think that player might be under discussion in the 'vacation flag' thread as well.
    Yes, I think many of us are playing him. And he keeps signing up for more tournaments. It's frustrating but he's within the rules.

As I've learned from going to buffets, all you can eat can be a very bad thing. 😛
  11. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    07 May '09 01:16
    Originally posted by sbacat
    Yes, I think many of us are playing him. And he keeps signing up for more tournaments. It's frustrating but he's within the rules.

As I've learned from going to buffets, all you can eat can be a very bad thing. 😛
    funny that you mention all-you-can-eat. when i think of the player in question, i have a mental image of a man who is so afraid of starving to death that he keeps on eating everything in sight until his stomach explodes.

it looks like he might pass 1600 games in progress sometime very soon. i wonder if that would be a site record?
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 May '09 08:11
    That moment has just passed, going for 1700.

'Cleverly give up your pawn. Your opponent has to take it as you can move it towards your king if he does not after which you can capture your opponents. This way you will be the last player to take a pawn, forcing the draw. You can time your moment when the tide of your opponents sandbagger meltdown rating wave is high.'

Extract from: 'The chess handbook on ratings, chapter 3 sandbagger meltdown opponents and how to deal with them, paragraph, king pawn endgames, forcing the draw in your own time'

Game 4398774
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 May '09 10:17
    Ow dear, I just realise a flaw in my 'clever' move...
  14. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    07 May '09 17:30
    being a little too focussed on rating points? 😉😛
  15. Standard membersbacat
    Eddie's Dad
    Raving Mad
    Moves
    07 May '09 18:23
    The game you're discussing is still in progress. Kindly wait until it's over to continue that discussion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree