1. Joined
    02 Oct '03
    Moves
    13 Apr '04 03:58
    Hi Russ,

2 parts to this post...

Firstly, I'm waiting patiently for a tournie for lower intermediate players with a rating of...let's say between 1201 and 1400...anything on the horizon?

Secondly, an idea for an open tournie, where everyone has a good chance to progress to latter rounds...

Howabout 1st round groups according to rating...

EXAMPLE
    Group 1 <=1000
    Group 2 1001-1200
    Group 3 1201 - 1300
    Group 4 1301 - 1400
    Group 5 1401 - 1500
    Group 6 1501 - 1600
    Group 7 1601 - 1800
    Group 8 >=1801

Perhaps 8 players to each group, then winners go through to make a final group of 8.

This way eveyone - including novices - can compete in a tournament, and everyone has a real fighting chance of making the final group?

Anyone else find this idea appealing?

Warm regards to all,

Mark

2. Standard memberThe Slow Pawn
    HIT THE LIGHTS
    Moves
    15 Apr '04 15:551 edit
    Originally posted by Meesy
    Hi Russ,

2 parts to this post...

Firstly, I'm waiting patiently for a tournie for lower intermediate players with a rating of...let's say between 1201 and 1400...anything on the horizon?

Secondly, an idea for an open tournie, wher ...[text shortened]... else find this idea appealing?

Warm regards to all,

Mark

I think that is a very good idea ...

3. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    18 Apr '04 11:331 edit
    Originally posted by Meesy
    an idea for an open tournie, where everyone has a good chance to progress to latter rounds...

Howabout 1st round groups according to rating...

EXAMPLE
    Group 1 <=1000
    Group 2 1001-1200
    Group 3 1201 - 1300
    Group 4 1301 - 1400
    Group 5 ...[text shortened]... to each group, then winners go through to make a final group of 8.
    i think you mean that the lowest rated 8 go all the same group, then the next 8 etc.

this could most appropriately be implemented as an alternative to the original and random options.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    i believe it convenient for the strongest player also, they get to play the other strongest players at the time they sign up for the tournament, when they are most ready for it.

BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT there will be examples of the top player getting timed out in the second round, then a player probably weaker than the 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th and 8 th seeds will win.
  4. Standard memberThe Slow Pawn
    HIT THE LIGHTS
    Moves
    18 Apr '04 15:58
    Originally posted by flexmore
    i think you mean that the lowest rated 8 go all the same group, then the next 8 etc.

this could most appropriately be implemented as an alternative to the original and random options.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    i believe it convenient for the strongest player also, they get to play the other strongest players at the time they ...[text shortened]... round, then a player probably weaker than the 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th and 8 th seeds will win.
    In case of the time-out in round 2 - Wouldn't that make it even more exiting for 'weaker' players ?

Regards

The Slow Pawn
  5. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    19 Apr '04 12:10
    Originally posted by The Slow Pawn
    In case of the time-out in round 2 - Wouldn't that make it even more exiting for 'weaker' players ?

Regards

The Slow Pawn
    the scenario i envisaged was if all the seeds win their groups in round 1.

so now in round 2 we have seeds 1, 9, 17, 25, 33, 41, 49 and 57

if the top seeds now times out then we have the 9th seed probably winning the tournament - or maybe the 17 th!

how will seeds 2,3,4,5,6,7 feel about this?

this looks like an entering for &quot;weaker&quot; players to me.

perhaps you mean &quot;exciting&quot; ...... then yes.
    but it is a very hollow victory, better are the rating limited tournaments.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree