Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Tournaments Forum

Tournaments Forum

  1. Standard member Saint Nick
    Pimp of the elves
    16 Oct '05 22:40 / 1 edit
    This tourny would not fill because a player rated 200 points above the band was in it. I politely asked that player to withdraw and he did.
    Now the tourny will not fill because another player is way above the rating band and has entered in it.
    Players are leaving the tourny and the number of entrants is decreasing due to players that don't belong there entering it.
    We're never going to get to play this tourny becuase of people that are trying to beat up on a bunch of lower rated players!

    So, I've said it before and I'm going to say it again: Enter banded tournies that are appropriate to your skill level. If your rating doesn't accurately reflect you rating than don't enter banded tournies!

    I'm sure this will fall on deaf ears as it has in the past, but atleast I feel better.

    P.S. This isn't an attack directed at Loki74 but I'm just fed up with this kind of thing in general
  2. Subscriber dinc168
    no where man
    17 Oct '05 00:45
    Originally posted by Saint Nick
    This tourny would not fill because a player rated 200 points above the band was in it. I politely asked that player to withdraw and he did.
    Now the tourny will not fill because another player is way above the rating band and has entered in it.
    Players are leaving the tourny and the number of entrants is decreasing due to players that don't belong ther ...[text shortened]... This isn't an attack directed at Loki74 but I'm just fed up with this kind of thing in general
    1 rec
  3. 17 Oct '05 02:00
    hey Dis s Harsha(harshu kutty) guyz... Think I withdrew frm d 1525-1550 tourney longbac.. I dint chkout d tournament status coz i jus mind playin games... I was not aware of it. Saint Nick sent a msg 2 me n I withdrew... somtimes d player with d higher ratins 4get 2 chk d tournament status n stay n d tourney. Lok might not hav chkd out d tourney status.. if so, he will
    withdraw frm d tourney i bliev.. If not .... K. Guyz v play chess 4 havin fun and developin our skills in which Winnin doesnt matter.. Am i rite?
  4. Standard member Natural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    17 Oct '05 02:45
    Originally posted by harshukutty
    hey Dis s Harsha(harshu kutty) guyz... Think I withdrew frm d 1525-1550 tourney longbac.. I dint chkout d tournament status coz i jus mind playin games... I was not aware of it. Saint Nick sent a msg 2 me n I withdrew... somtimes d player with d higher ratins 4get 2 chk d tournament status n stay n d tourney. Lok might not hav chkd out d tourney status.. ...[text shortened]... uyz v play chess 4 havin fun and developin our skills in which Winnin doesnt matter.. Am i rite?
    If winning doesn't matter, why don't you just simply resign games that are clearly lost rather than stall them out for as long as possible?
  5. Standard member Saint Nick
    Pimp of the elves
    17 Oct '05 02:47 / 1 edit
    I think you're going to draw some fire for your short hand typing..

    Anyhow, I would like to think you for withdrawing from the tourny. It showed good sportmanship on your part.
    You're right in that most of us just want to play chess and (hopefully) get better. The idea behind the banded tournies is so players of similar strength can play each other and it gives lower rated players an opportunity to win a tourny. When someone of signifigantly better skill enter the tourny because they just happen to have a lower rating at the moment, it really defeats the entire spirit of the tourny and ruins the expirience for the players.

    If people want to play against all skill levels there are plenty of open tournies that they can play in and do that.
  6. Standard member Freddie2008
    9 Edits
    17 Oct '05 06:07 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by harshukutty
    Am i rite?
    Depends what that babble of letters means...it is almost impossible to read!

    Edit: You are worse than Blobby
  7. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    17 Oct '05 07:08
    Originally posted by harshukutty
    hey Dis s Harsha(harshu kutty) guyz... Think I withdrew frm d 1525-1550 tourney longbac.. I dint chkout d tournament status coz i jus mind playin games... I was not aware of it. Saint Nick sent a msg 2 me n I withdrew... somtimes d player with d higher ratins 4get 2 chk d tournament status n stay n d tourney. Lok might not hav chkd out d tourney status.. ...[text shortened]... uyz v play chess 4 havin fun and developin our skills in which Winnin doesnt matter.. Am i rite?
    I'm at a loss for words.
  8. Standard member Freddie2008
    9 Edits
    17 Oct '05 07:10
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    I'm at a loss for words.
    Let's just hope he is too.
  9. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    17 Oct '05 07:59
    Originally posted by Freddie2004
    Let's just hope he is too.
    Well I couldn't find many words in his last post.
  10. 17 Oct '05 11:45 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Well I couldn't find many words in his last post.
    Hashrukuty's text is almost as good as opponent in this gameGame 1463522
  11. 17 Oct '05 16:00
    We're never going to get to play this tourny becuase of people that are trying to beat up on a bunch of lower rated players!
    P.S. This isn't an attack directed at Loki74 but I'm just fed up with this kind of thing in general[/b]
    I hope so.
    Check out the graph. Loki74 averages about 1530. There is no reason not to participate because of this guy.
    In general I understand how you feel, even though I don't play in these tourneys.
  12. Standard member Freddie2008
    9 Edits
    17 Oct '05 19:03
    Originally posted by cantspell
    Hashrukuty's text is almost as good as opponent in this gameGame 1463522
    Game 1463383Game 1463380Game 1463381Game 1463387Game 1463394Game 1463400Game 1463453Game 1463473

    Suspicious? I am.
  13. 17 Oct '05 19:14
    Originally posted by Freddie2004
    Game 1463383Game 1463380Game 1463381Game 1463387Game 1463394Game 1463400Game 1463453Game 1463473

    Suspicious? I am.
    Indeed- My clan leader posted that game link to me yesterday
  14. Standard member Aiko
    Nearing 200000...!
    17 Oct '05 19:22
    Originally posted by Freddie2004
    Game 1463383Game 1463380Game 1463381Game 1463387Game 1463394Game 1463400Game 1463453Game 1463473

    Suspicious? I am.
    Oh dear oh dear...
  15. 22 Oct '05 05:39
    Originally posted by propawnkiller
    I hope so.
    Check out the graph. Loki74 averages about 1530. There is no reason not to participate because of this guy.
    In general I understand how you feel, even though I don't play in these tourneys.
    Thank you - is nice that someone actually bothered to do a little analysis, before accusing me of beating up on weaker opponents. My usual rating is around low 1500s, although am (hopefully) improving that slowly.

    Check the other players in the tournament - there are at least two players who have rated in the 1700s and one who has rated in the 1900s - all of which is well beyond me. And I bet there would be a few who have managed a brief time in the 1600s, like me at the moment.

    I agree that people should enter tournaments that are around their skill level - which is what I did at the time the tournament opened. And not only that, it is (I believe) pretty close to my current skill level. If people had a problem with my participation, might have been nice if someone messaged me and asked me to withdraw.