1. Joined
    05 Apr '05
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 09:501 edit
    Originally posted by Farnaby
    I am fortunate that my rating is high enough to largely avoid the problem of which Odinson speaks. On the rare occasions when I play up 400+ points, I accept it as an opportunity for a lesson.

Nonetheless I can empathize with Odinson's frustration. It seems like banded tournaments were much more prevalent in the past, and they seem to have been reduce s and have found him to be friendly and gracious in spite of our rating differential.
    -Will
    I want to make sure I am not misinterpreted. I have never played a truly "rude" player on this site, at any rating level. In fact, virtually everyone, especially the higher-ranked players such as Will, is willing to offer up advice and are universally good sports. I appreciate the "lesson", as I have often said upon game conclusion (i.e. my resignation 😉 ), and where else do you get a chance to play truly superior opponents on a regular basis?

My frustration is purely with the inherent "impossibility" (nothing is 100 percent) of winning a tournament on the overwhelmingly frequent occasions when a handful of entrants vastly outrank the remainder. Remember, everyone down to the Class Z 😉 player likes taking home a little hardware.

Having said all this, there have been more banded tournaments lately which resolves the issue.

Dave

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree