more thematic tournaments

more thematic tournaments

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t
a unique loser

LIAAA

Moves
01 Sep 04

Why not create more thematic tournaments. In my opinion people can learn much from playing different openings, because they can't make the same moves over and over again. Besides that I think that learning new openings is always good for every player.
Just my thought,
Sander

L

Amsterdam

Moves
01 Sep 04

Originally posted by tejo
Why not create more thematic tournaments. In my opinion people can learn much from playing different openings, because they can't make the same moves over and over again. Besides that I think that learning new openings is always good for every player.
Just my thought,
Sander
Often you'll find players joining some tournament because they're all excited about their brand new star and are then totally surprised that the pieces aren't in the correct places, 'is this a bug of the site?' πŸ˜‰

Anyway, more thematic tourneys would be great, but we, euh, well, Russ, might have to think about showing the moves made to get to that position for the players. What to learn from an opening when you know how it looks, but don't know the moves to get there?

Let's say a Najdorf tourney is created, you'll need 5 moves to get to that position! Newcomers to Chess will not understand anything about it!

Olav

t
a unique loser

LIAAA

Moves
01 Sep 04

Originally posted by LivingLegend
Anyway, more thematic tourneys would be great, but we, euh, well, Russ, might have to think about showing the moves made to get to that position for the players. What to learn from an opening when you know how it looks, but don't know the moves to get there?

Let's say a Najdorf tourney is created, you'll need 5 moves to get to that position! Newcomers to Chess will not understand anything about it!

Olav

Very true Olav, but we can start with some simple starts like the scandinavian (e4-d5) or the Alek Hine (e4-Nf6). What about the first moves of the bird's opening (f4-d5 e4) or the boedapest (d4-Nf6 c4-e5). I think if you start with those you don't have to explain anything.
Sander

SN
Pimp of the elves

San Diego, CA

Moves
02 Sep 04

Throwing in my support for thematic tourneys.
Would very much like to see the English or the Pirc πŸ™‚

T
Dead Like Georgia

Moves
03 Sep 04

A great big ditto here as well - I played the Halloween Tourney and they were among the most enjoyable games I've played here. Given that, you won't be surprised to learn that I'm in favour of unusual thematic tournaments - having to play both sides takes away the pressure of knowing you are playing a theoretically unsound opening while also giving you a chance to practice it's refutation (if possible!) on the other side.

L

Amsterdam

Moves
03 Sep 04

Very true Olav, but we can start with some simple starts like the scandinavian (e4-d5) or the Alek Hine (e4-Nf6). What about the first moves of the bird's opening (f4-d5 e4) or the boedapest (d4-Nf6 c4-e5). I think if you start with those you don't have to explain anything.
Sander
That indeed sounds better but euh...

First moves of the Bird: 1.f4 d5 2.e4? ??? Hm... must be some big typo! πŸ˜›

Anyway, if we're all gonna start suggestion certain openings, I think it's, with the exception of variation such as the Budapest (Tend to know alot about openings, trained alot on it last 2 years as I often left alot in the opening OTB, but never seen it, can you believe that? Looks nice though!) better that tournaments with unsound and unusual openings are created, the more mainstream openings will be played anyway I guess!

Olav

T
Total Domination

Wilmington, NC

Moves
04 Sep 04

I agree we need more and would also like to see some unusual ones too like the halloween gambit, im loving that tournament.

s
515 + 30 days

Syver Yurt TC

Moves
04 Sep 04

Originally posted by TRACKHEAD21
I agree we need more and would also like to see some unusual ones too like the halloween gambit, im loving that tournament.
You procrastinate T.Head21. You were actually entered in the Nimzo 3 and then withdrew.

skeeter

t
a unique loser

LIAAA

Moves
05 Sep 04

That indeed sounds better but euh...

First moves of the Bird: 1.f4 d5 2.e4? ??? Hm... must be some big typo! πŸ˜›

Olav
I was thinking and typing at the same time😳. The moves I wanted to put down were only f4-d5.
Besides that I think f4-d5 e4 is a variation of the Bird's. Isn't it called williams gambit or something like that? Not sure though. You are the master of the bird's Olav.

L

Amsterdam

Moves
05 Sep 04
2 edits

I was thinking and typing at the same time😳. The moves I wanted to put down were only f4-d5.
Besides that I think f4-d5 e4 is a variation of the Bird's. Isn't it called williams gambit or something like that? Not sure though. You are the master of the bird's Olav.
OK. πŸ™‚

Well, I think I do know alot about the Bird, but never heard of the Williams Gambit, I'll look it up!

Looks interesting though, 1.f4 d5 2.e4, 2..dxe4 and 2..Nf6 appear to be good responses, but transposable to the Falkbeer as well with 2..e5.

Olav

Later Added:

I looked it up in my Bird Opening Book, I can't find references to the name of the gambit, but it indeed exists. Haven't found much theory about it, but this appears to be the main line: 1.f4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Qe2, with alot of options for Black to play now, 4..Nc6 (appears to be most solid), 4..Bf5, 4..Bg5 and 4..Qd5 are a few of them.

t
a unique loser

LIAAA

Moves
05 Sep 04

OK. πŸ™‚

Well, I think I do know alot about the Bird, but never heard of the Williams Gambit, I'll look it up!

Looks interesting though, 1.f4 d5 2.e4, 2..dxe4 and 2..Nf6 appear to be good responses, but transposable to the Falkbeer as well with 2..e5.

Olav

Later Added:

I looked it up in my Bird Opening Book, I can't find references to the ...[text shortened]... to play now, 4..Nc6 (appears to be most solid), 4..Bf5, 4..Bg5 and 4..Qd5 are a few of them.

I looked it up and f4-d5 e4 is called the Williams Gambit. I am not sure it is the official name for the opening, but a guy named Williams wrote a book about it.

L

Amsterdam

Moves
05 Sep 04

I looked it up and f4-d5 e4 is called the Williams Gambit. I am not sure it is the official name for the opening, but a guy named Williams wrote a book about it.
OK, thanks! I'll give it a try once! πŸ™‚

O.

T
Total Domination

Wilmington, NC

Moves
06 Sep 04

Originally posted by skeeter
You procrastinate T.Head21. You were actually entered in the Nimzo 3 and then withdrew.

skeeter
ture true, I entered as soon as I saw it because it was thematic but then I saw the timeout and timebank. While I love those type of tournaments I hate anything more than 3/7 timeout/timebank. Alot of these tournaments go way too long as it is when people start to stall and just be dumb and i really wanted to play in that one, but being that it wount end for probably like a year, I decided to stay out. Im alredy getting mad with the gambit where my opponent is stalling knowing there is no way he will make it to the next round, so my group along with one other group I believe is holding up the tournament, now the guy purposely plays right before he starts using timebank every 3 days, completely ridiculous.