1. Over seas
    Moves
    28 Oct '04 00:091 edit
    The Americlan! would like to hold an independent tournament. The tournament will be a Swiss style. I need 8 players who move multiple times a day. We can decide on how many rounds to make it. It will be set up at our website, and the games will be played at rhp (un-rated). The rules will be set up before the tournament starts.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

PS

It will be my first attempt, so...........

http://makephpbb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=theamericlan
  2. London
    Moves
    28 Oct '04 01:02
    HEY mike....i would like to enter the tourney! would be an honour!
  3. Over seas
    Moves
    28 Oct '04 01:10
    Thanks, I will have to wait and see how many can join, before we decide the rules of engagement.

I have not decided if I want to use rhp ratings, or let everyone start over and just have it based on points.
    I am in favor of points myself.

Mike
  4. London
    Moves
    28 Oct '04 01:24
    yeah it would be good to have it as points. do you mean to have it as a mini league?? so every1 plays each other a certain amount of times and the person with the most about of points would win? it wouldnt matter with/without ratings that way because every1 would play each other anyway! what do you think? Freddie
  5. Over seas
    Moves
    28 Oct '04 01:32
    Swiss style tournaments

Swiss style tournaments seem more inclusive than single- and double-elimination tournaments, in that no player is ever forced to drop from the tournament. After each round, all players are matched up against other players with the same win-loss record. So in the fifth round of play, all the 4-0 players compete against each other, all the 3-1 players compete against each other, etc., down to the players who are all 0-4, playing against each other. Generally the tournament continues until there is only one undefeated player, or sometimes for one or two rounds beyond that, in order to ensure that players who have previously lost a round (or two) could still win the tournament. (For fairness' sake, the number of rounds must be announced after the number of entrants is known but before the tournament begins.)

If the number of players is large, Swiss-style tournaments are easy for tournament organizers to run because there is less need to fill in slots of a bracket with "byes" (see below). A maximum of one bye is needed per round of a Swiss tournament, and that is only needed if there is an odd number of players competing in that round.

In some Swiss tournaments, the tournament continues for a certain number of rounds, at which point the main tournament ends and the top 8 players continue on to play an 8-player single- or double-elimination playoff tournament for the victory.

At a certain point in a Swiss-style tournament, it becomes obvious to players when they have been mathematically eliminated from being able to win or place high, but they can continue playing if they choose -- perhaps to boost their rating, if the tournament organizer reports player ratings to the sport's ratings authority.

Brackets, and Initial Matchups

Often a "bracket" is physically drawn on a sheet of paper or whiteboard for the benefit of spectators and players, especially in single- and double-elimination tournaments, showing who is playing whom, and making it easy to see who will be matched up in future rounds depending on who wins each game.

A 16-player, single-elimination tournament bracket. The quarterfinals have been completed, and the semifinal games will be Lisa vs. Ernie, and Andrew vs. Robert. Then the finals will be a game between the two people who won in the semifinals.
    The easiest way for a tournament organizer to match up participants in the first round of a tournament is to do so randomly. However, a more satisfactory tournament (for spectators) can often be created by initially matching the best (or "top seeded&quot😉 several players against players who are not in the "best" rank, and placing these players in the bracket such that it is probable that the best four players will end up playing each other in the semifinals.

Byes

By looking at a single-elimination bracket it quickly becomes clear that tournaments are easy to run only if they have a number of players which is a power of 2: i.e. 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, etc. Having this exact number of players ensures that all players have somebody to compete against every round. In tournaments open to the general public, it is unlikely that this exact number of players will enroll, and in any case players may decide to voluntarily drop from the tournament at any point, so "byes" are used to fill holes in the bracket.

A player gets a bye when there is simply no opponent for him to play that round. Getting a bye is considered fortunate for a player; he is guaranteed to advance to the next round. Sometimes many byes are granted in a particular round because of holes in the bracket. The aim of the byes is to have the number of players be equal to a power of 2 in the next round, or possibly the round after that.

In some tournaments such as the playoffs of the NFL, byes are prizes to be earned by teams who do well in previous play.

Tiebreakers

Sometimes a "tiebreaker" statistic is needed to separate players who have the same win-loss record, particularly for the purpose of awarding prizes to the top players. For example, after five rounds of play in a Swiss-style tournament, 4th through 7th places are often taken by players who all have a 3-2 record. Often-used tiebreakers are score averages in the individual games played so far in the tournament, opponents' winning percentages, the total number of points scored by the player in the tournament, the total number of points scored by all the player's opponents in the tournament, and so forth. (The inability to boost one's tiebreaker statistics is considered the only disadvantage of receiving a bye in a previous round.)
  6. London
    Moves
    28 Oct '04 01:35
    sounds good to me...need to rally to get more people to join! maybe if you posted in the general section/chess section more people would see?
  7. Over seas
    Moves
    28 Oct '04 01:37
    Originally posted by Freddie20044
    sounds good to me...need to rally to get more people to join! maybe if you posted in the general section/chess section more people would see?
    I thought I would start with the hardcore tourney people.
  8. London
    Moves
    28 Oct '04 01:40
    lol fair enough...look forward to playing in it..will you PM me when you open it up on the tournament page so i dont miss it because i dont usually look in the tournaments forum? thanks
  9. Over seas
    Moves
    28 Oct '04 01:41
    Originally posted by Freddie20044
    lol fair enough...look forward to playing in it..will you PM me when you open it up on the tournament page so i dont miss it because i dont usually look in the tournaments forum? thanks
    I will send you a message, or you can drop into the clan site.

Mike

10. Standard memberBlobby
    You Cheeky
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Oct '04 16:06
    ill do it am on multiple times a day
  11. Over seas
    Moves
    28 Oct '04 20:07
    Originally posted by Blobby
    ill do it am on multiple times a day
    Sounds great. I will let you know when it is going to get together.

Mike
  12. Over seas
    Moves
    28 Oct '04 21:19
    You can check at the site. Register and sign in, in the Tournaments section.

Mike

http://makephpbb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=theamericlan

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree