Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Tournaments Forum

Tournaments Forum

  1. Standard member fierytorment
    Mr. Flame of Fury
    13 Jun '05 22:52
    I suggest we have another Thematic Tourney..... any suggestions?
  2. Standard member Ravello
    The Rude©
    13 Jun '05 23:15
    Sicilian Dragon.
  3. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    13 Jun '05 23:43
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Sicilian Dragon.
    Now that is a good suggestion.
  4. Standard member Freddie2008
    9 Edits
    13 Jun '05 23:45
    bird's opening...could be the from gambit. but then again maybe not.
  5. Standard member fierytorment
    Mr. Flame of Fury
    13 Jun '05 23:49
    I don't know about the bird opening.... thats just ugh. but its an idea
  6. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    14 Jun '05 02:15 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by fierytorment
    I don't know about the bird opening.... thats just ugh. but its an idea
    I think a Dragon themed tourney would be much more interesting:


    White to move.

    Or maybe I'm just biased because it's my favourite opening.
  7. Standard member fierytorment
    Mr. Flame of Fury
    14 Jun '05 04:43
    How about the Slav Defense?
  8. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    14 Jun '05 05:06
    Past Themed Tournaments:

    Dutch Defense: Stonewall Variation
    Dutch Denfense: Staunton Gambit
    Sokolsky Opening with 1...e5
    Hypermodern Capablanca System
    Hypermodern New York system
    Grunfeld Defence Classical Variation
    Colle System
    Danish Gambit Schlechter Defence
    Chigorin's Defense
    Nimzo Indian Defense (3 of them)
    Alekhine's Defence: Chase Variation
    Benko Gambit
    Queen's Gambit Declined Orthodox Defence
    Dutch Defence
    Blackmar-Diemer Gambit
    Bird's Opening
    Halloween Gambit
    French: Advance, Milner-Barry Gambit
    English Opening

    I don't know why I compiled this list but I do think preference should be to openings that haven't had themed tourneys before.
  9. Donation bbarr
    Chief Justice
    14 Jun '05 05:13
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Past Themed Tournaments:

    Dutch Defense: Stonewall Variation
    Dutch Denfense: Staunton Gambit
    Sokolsky Opening with 1...e5
    Hypermodern Capablanca System
    Hypermodern New York system
    Grunfeld Defence Classical Variation
    Colle System
    Danish Gambit Schlechter Defence
    Chigorin's Defense
    Nimzo Indian Defense (3 of them)
    Alekhine's Defence: Chase Var ...[text shortened]... list but I do think preference should be to openings that haven't had themed tourneys before.
    How about a Cochrane Gambit tournament? That'd be crazy fun.
  10. Standard member skeeter
    515 + 30 days
    14 Jun '05 10:47
    Originally posted by bbarr
    How about a Cochrane Gambit tournament? That'd be crazy fun.
    Yep. Thats me.

    skeeter
  11. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    14 Jun '05 11:06
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Yep. Thats me.

    skeeter
    how about a tournament where in every game ... the higher rated player would have their queenside knight removed
    now that would really mix them up!
  12. Standard member Ravello
    The Rude©
    14 Jun '05 17:24
    We're talking about thematic tournaments, not handicap tournaments..........
  13. 14 Jun '05 18:13
    While we are on the thematic topic.

    Anybody else here like the idea of Thematic Siege Boards?

    I'd make a post in the site ideas, but I got here first...somebody else feel free if you like the idea.

    --tmetzler
  14. 14 Jun '05 18:18
    King's Gambit accepted?
  15. Standard member Ravello
    The Rude©
    14 Jun '05 19:04
    Originally posted by tmetzler
    While we are on the thematic topic.

    Anybody else here like the idea of Thematic Siege Boards?

    I'd make a post in the site ideas, but I got here first...somebody else feel free if you like the idea.

    --tmetzler
    Great idea Tim,thematic boards maybe where you can play openings from set pieces,good idea indeed!