1. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Nov '14 03:58
    the first tourney i ever entered -- and i was stupid enough to not realize the consequences of a 21/21 day tourney -- August 2009 Long Haul, after over 5 years now, the tourney has only just begun its 3rd round, largely thanks to a single player that has milked the clock on every single move through 5 years and two rounds ... i know, i know, its a long haul, he has that right, my regrets for joining ... but that is not my question ... now that we started the 3rd round, both he and I have drawn clearly inactive players, both cases, his opponent has not moved in 900 plus days, and the opponent i drew has not moved in about the same period. i immediately moved on my first game with my inactive opponent, thinking this would facilitate basically a 42 day period or whatever, when both games would "auto time out" ... i exchanged messages with the other player whom i have had experience with in the past, suggesting the same thing ... for him to move on his game with his apparent inactive player for the same reason, why waste another 21-42 days and then delay the time outs? so we can all hope for a shorter round here before more participants die, lol ... he all out refused to make his own first move, again his right, but insisted that he will claim the time out on his opponent when he was good and ready to and told me sometimes he waited a year or more to claim a time out ... he still has not made his first move, and neither has the inactive player ... i pointed out to him the game would auto time out eventually and he would not have have any say in it so why not move now and save everyone some time ... in a nutshell, he told me instead of playing chess i should go fly a kite ... two questions, are the auto time outs in tourneys truly automatic, and what happens if neither player makes a single move?
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 Nov '14 11:36
    * automatic timeouts have happened (about two days after timeout and timebank wer at 0, more specific midnighht after two after...)

* If no player moves both are timed out and in this case both would reach the next round, were hopefully one sees an active player 😉
  3. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Nov '14 02:15
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    * automatic timeouts have happened (about two days after timeout and timebank wer at 0, more specific midnighht after two after...)

* If no player moves both are timed out and in this case both would reach the next round, were hopefully one sees an active player 😉
    ok, part one auto timeouts "have happened", question one is: will they? auto time outs are not auto unless they happen automatically ... "have happened" means to me they could, but to be auto, that means "they will" ... as for the second part, that really answers my question, if no one moves, an "auto" time out they both advance ... thank you for your response ...
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 19:11
    Originally posted by doug989
    the first tourney i ever entered -- and i was stupid enough to not realize the consequences of a 21/21 day tourney -- August 2009 Long Haul, after over 5 years now, the tourney has only just begun its 3rd round, largely thanks to a single player that has milked the clock on every single move through 5 years and two rounds ... i know, i know, its a long haul, ...[text shortened]... o time outs in tourneys truly automatic, and what happens if neither player makes a single move?
    I think it depends on the tournament style? I have had opponent not move till a week after their time bank was out!
  5. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '15 03:13
    the first game, white never opened ... 21/21, it was timed out about three days after time expired ... in the second game, white did finally open about 10 days later or whatever, that game has now run out of time as of saturday, going on a week and still no timeout ... this round would move along more quickly as there only one pair of players left (and only one of those two is slowing it down) and i think that would move quicker if he was the only one left holding it up ... the game that should have timed out by now is Game 10889430
  6. Joined
    22 Mar '11
    Moves
    17 Jan '15 21:25
    Yes and the other player has not moved in almost 3 years, so I think it is unlikely they are going to start anytime soon.
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    18 Jan '15 12:30
    This is way past the auto-timeout period, I suggest you send feedback and hopefully speed things up a little.
  8. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '15 21:47
    thanks and how do i do that?
  9. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 03:23
    finally timed out, now down to one game in the round ... thanks again ...
  10. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 01:481 edit
    finally timed out, now down to one game in the round ... thanks again ...
    2 matches left. You will probably have to wait at least a year.
  11. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 14:023 edits
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    2 matches left. You will probably have to wait at least a year.
    yes, two games, one of the players has been moving right away, the other dragging out every the clock on every move, even at a year, that would be half of either of the first two rounds, I think round 1 took 3 years, round 2 2 years, so if get to the round 3 by next year before I or other members die, that would be fine
  12. Joined
    13 Feb '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '15 19:18
    If white doesn't open, how can black be penalized by both being timed out? I'm in a "long haul" B.S. tourney where my opponent hasn't moved in two years. There should be RHP rule that if you don't move in 6 months you automatically forfeit!!! long haul does not mean a lifetime!! That's a good way to discourage participation in RHP.
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    25 Jan '15 21:01
    I don't think you are penalized, there's supposed to be no effect at all on your win/loss/draw list or rating if two moves haven't been made.
  14. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '15 04:26
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I don't think you are penalized, there's supposed to be no effect at all on your win/loss/draw list or rating if two moves haven't been made.

If what gcyrus is saying and the game last forever, the points or ratings don't matter, he entered a tourney for a reason and he and the other players in the tourney are being penalized by it not coming to some sort of a conclusion ...
  15. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    26 Jan '15 04:521 edit
    We have two separate things here in this thread - slow play you can do nothing about, people who've left the site are something else. If the rest of the round have played their games, anyone can do a feedback request and the non-functioning game will be removed. If I encounter a departed player in a tourney round I just resign the game without fuss or penalty.

{and a note: if you type in the Quoted Post box underneath the quote your post appears in the quote box, creating some confusion. It's usual to type in the Post box above the Quoted Post box.}

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree