1. Joined
    02 Oct '03
    Moves
    02 May '04 10:08
    Hi there all,

I'm sure there must be other people that feel the same way as I do on this issue.

There has been examples of provisionally rated players entering rating based tournies (Battle of Midway II. Rating between 1200 and 1400) who are quite obviously rediculously better than everyone else!

Just 1 week into the tournie, one particular player has a rating in the 1600's..climbing very fast. What's more, having analysed some of his other games - 38 wins, no draws, no losses - he is quite obviously much stronger even than 1600's...I'm guessing as high as 2000!!!

This begs the question...

2. Russ, do you not think it would be fairer on your mid-rated subscribers that players with a provisional rating should only be able to enter open (any rating) tournies, but NOT closed (rating banded) tournies?

Cheers,

Mark

2. Joined
    28 Jun '01
    Moves
    03 May '04 11:48
    I second the motion.
  3. Joined
    12 Oct '01
    Moves
    05 May '04 16:17
    I totally agree. I have also just experienced a trouncing in a mid-rated tournament by a 'P' player who was vastly superior and has obviously created a new handle just to play in this tournament. Just thought I'd add my tuppence but I find it mildly annoying and a bit sad to be honest. How about a name and shame session ??
    Anyway, I'm off to enter my football team into a junior women's league....
  4. Joined
    02 Oct '03
    Moves
    05 May '04 21:47
    Originally posted by markobo
    I totally agree. I have also just experienced a trouncing in a mid-rated tournament by a 'P' player who was vastly superior and has obviously created a new handle just to play in this tournament. Just thought I'd add my tuppence but I find it mildly annoying and a bit sad to be honest. How about a name and shame session ??
    Anyway, I'm off to enter my football team into a junior women's league....
    Hi Markobo,

Thanks for taking the time to contribute to this thread. I think it's an important issue to ensure everyone has maximum enjoyment on this wonderful site, and can enter closed tournies in an enthusiastic, and optimistic manner...This is - IMHO - certainly not the case presently!!!

To be honest I don't think it's fair to say this person has 'obviously created a nerw handle'...I think that's a huge assumption.

However, it has to be said, it's curious that someone who quite obviously must know how good they are they are, would enter a tournie that - ethically - they should probably not enter.

Lastly, the player that rompted me to start this thread - not the person you are referring to - is now 50 games unbeaten, and is winning games in 11, and 12 moves!!!

In fact I note the only two games they have played against quality opposition, they actually won in under 20 moves!!!!!

Go figure?

Russ. come on me ol'e fruit, let's get this sorted 🙂

Regards,

Mark
  5. Joined
    20 Jun '03
    Moves
    10 May '04 23:37
    Hi All

I agree entirely about provisional rated players entering closed tournies. Look at the most recent opened tournaments and there a quite a few 'p' rated players. Lets go Russ for the suggestion already made that a 'p' rated player can only enter tournaments with no rating limitations
  6. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    11 May '04 13:38
    As someone who joined the first tournament I saw (which happened to be rating restricted) on my first day here, I also am in favor of provisional players only being able to enter open tournaments. And I apologize to all of my opponents in this tournament.
  7. Amsterdam
    Moves
    11 May '04 16:43
    Good thinking! 🙂

Olav
  8. Tennessee
    Moves
    15 May '04 00:56
    Originally posted by Meesy
    Hi there all,

I'm sure there must be other people that feel the same way as I do on this issue.

There has been examples of provisionally rated players entering rating based tournies (Battle of Midway II. Rating between 1200 and 1400) who are quite obviously rediculously better than everyone else!

Just 1 week into the tournie, one particular player h ...[text shortened]... er open (any rating) tournies, but NOT closed (rating banded) tournies?

Cheers,

Mark

Not long ago I was new to this site and entered a rookie tourny. Ratings can be deceiving and I wasn't sure where I stood. Now I am 1550ish and playing in a 1200 max tourny. I did not feel it was fair and asked if I could withdraw and be replaced with the opponent I played and beat. I have not heard back, but I agree with you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree