1. Over seas
    Moves
    04 Sep '04 13:40
    Maybe someone has gone over this before, but I will state what bothers me. I have been in a lower rated tournament that at the beginning provisionals have entered. The problem is that when they start as provisional they are rated low and unrealistically. By the end of the tournament that provisional player is no 1500+. Should provisionals be allowed to enter tournaments?

Mike
  2. Standard membertlai1992
    Retired knight
    Chess Castle
    Moves
    04 Sep '04 13:52
    Originally posted by rapalla7
    Maybe someone has gone over this before, but I will state what bothers me. I have been in a lower rated tournament that at the beginning provisionals have entered. The problem is that when they start as provisional they are rated low and unrealistically. By the end of the tournament that provisional player is no 1500+. Should provisionals be allowed to enter tournaments?

Mike
    no not p1200 but maybe some one with like a p 1134
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Sep '04 16:26
    Originally posted by rapalla7

Mike
    One of the selling points of subscribing is that you get to play in tournaments. If you say to someone who is thinking of joining the site "you can't play in tournaments until you play 20 games" you're somewhat reducing the desirability of subscribing (something I'm sure Russ doesn't want to do). After all, it may take weeks to complete 20 games (it took me 3 and I'm a pretty active user of the site)! Your concern is valid, but I think its just another one of those rating related anomalies that aren't really fixable without creating other (in this case a more serious) problems.
  4. Standard membergumbie
    The man himself
    Totally lost
    Moves
    04 Sep '04 21:40
    In banded tournaments the description says: Please only enter if you have a non-provisional rating.
  5. Standard membertlai1992
    Retired knight
    Chess Castle
    Moves
    04 Sep '04 21:59
    Originally posted by gumbie
    In banded tournaments the description says: Please only enter if you have a non-provisional rating.
    yup but sometimes provisionals do enter
  6. Cincinnati, USA
    Moves
    05 Sep '04 01:411 edit
    If a tournament is restricted by rating, then it makes sense not to allow provisionally rated players, since their ratings are likely to fluctuate a lot. If they manage to get into tournaments where they aren't allowed, that's a flaw in the software that runs the site.

In randomly grouped open tournaments, it makes no difference at all what a player's "true" rating may be. In tournaments structured around the original ratings, it makes some difference; but if you want to win the tournament, you'll have to beat that provisionally rated player sometime.

As to allowing provisionals into tournaments at all, as a very new member here (still p1200), I can say that being allowed to enter tournaments was a major factor in my subscribing.
  7. Over seas
    Moves
    05 Sep '04 02:132 edits
    Everyone is correct. I just think it would be fair. And in a tournament it should be fair, always. I think there should be a provision that you have to have a solid rating before entering a tournament, with a rating level entered.
    Sure eventually it will be sorted out, but it is a bad thing for all of the lower rated players to be wooped by kasperov on the first day he ponies up the dough. Is it wrong to be suspicious of provisionals with wings?

Mike
  8. London
    Moves
    05 Sep '04 11:27
    As a current provisional, and a recent subscriber, I see no problem in being excluded from rating banded tournaments. I fact would see this a positive thing as one day I may have a chance to win one 😏

Plus there doesn't seem to be that many of them anyway - lets have a few more and ban the pro's
  9. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    29 Sep '04 00:14
    Originally posted by The Swine Down Hope
    As a current provisional, and a recent subscriber, I see no problem in being excluded from rating banded tournaments. I fact would see this a positive thing as one day I may have a chance to win one 😏

Plus there doesn't seem to be that many of them anyway - lets have a few more and ban the pro's
    Well put, this is the real point! I entered tournaments on my first week including rookie ones, as they take time to progress you see who your main challengers are. I think I am peeking in the upper 1600s but I have come up against (and been swept aside, well I came 2nd but was never under any illusion of winning during the final) by players with a 2100+ rating! Im agine what the real rookie players felt like, players of ratings less than 1400 were not really in the hunt. As you say if the banded tournaments were resticted then it would be a level playing field.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree