1. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    21 Jan '03 21:48
    Read something recently about Fischer Random Chess whereby the rooks, bishops, knights, queen, and king are placed randomly along the 1st rank (8th rank for Black).

Apparantly this is a great leveller as it removes the need to know long openings and the better chess player wins, as opposed to the one who has done the most book learning.

Again, could be an idea for a tournament (unrated).
  2. Standard memberJira
    ..Itching
    Reading, UK
    Moves
    23 Jan '03 10:15
    There are other very interesting modifications or variation of chess:

1. "Denied" chess - it bacially means that if your opponent makes a move you can deny that move and he must play some other which you cannot deny anymore as you can deny only one move at a time.
    Then it's your turn and he can (does not have to) deny the first move you choose etc etc. Simply it means both players need to have some dual plans (2 good plans to progress) - lot of fun 😀

Goial to is check-mate.

2. "Knock in" chess - when you take an opponent's piece you can't remove it form the game but you can choose any legal field to put it on, i.e. pawns can't be on 1st or 8th lines, pawns do NOT promote at all. The goal is the check-mate. Again lot of fun as you need to open up oppenent's king by wild sacrificies without a fear of losing pieces BUT with a fear they will be placed in a corner with little chance to be involved in the game later on !

Anyway, all these aternate chess (including Fisher's) are probably out of reach for chess sites as it means additional programming for the site developers ..😞
  3. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    23 Jan '03 10:35
    We could have a fixed opening tournament, where everyone plays a particular opening, defence, or combination to some set point. This would minimize the breadth of theory needed, though some would still have the obvious advantages of databases/books. I've seen a successful tournament organized around the cochrane gambit, but the players presumably had access to the same resources. Perhaps something ridiculous like the Grob. Who's with me for the Grob tournament?
  4. DonationChris
    Site Admin
    Wimbledon
    Moves
    23 Jan '03 13:58
    Originally posted by Jira
    Anyway, all these aternate chess (including Fisher's) are probably out of reach for chess sites as it means additional programming for the site developers ..😞
    We can do things like this - it takes a little effort, but it's do-able. We've done it before with Rival (it comes with three variant games - Shatranj, Self-Take and Kinglet).

-Chris
  5. Standard memberJira
    ..Itching
    Reading, UK
    Moves
    23 Jan '03 13:59
    What's "Grob" ? I'm not English native speaker so I may know it under different name ..
  6. Standard memberJira
    ..Itching
    Reading, UK
    Moves
    23 Jan '03 14:34
    Originally posted by Chrismo
    We can do things like this - it takes a little effort, but it's do-able. We've done it before with Rival (it comes with three variant games - Shatranj, Self-Take and Kinglet).

-Chris
    Well, what about the the "Knock in" chess then as I proposed?
    Also the Fisher's chess sounds interesting.

If enough players would agree ..

- Jira
  7. Joined
    20 Feb '02
    Moves
    23 Jan '03 14:58
    Originally posted by T1000
    Read something recently about Fischer Random Chess whereby the rooks, bishops, knights, queen, and king are placed randomly along the 1st rank (8th rank for Black).

Apparantly this is a great leveller as it removes the need to know long openings and the better chess player wins, as opposed to the one who has done the most book learning.

Again, could be an idea for a tournament (unrated).
    I'd be up for it, sounds fun

Andrew
  8. Standard memberSchliemann
    The Diplomat
    Slightly Left :D
    Moves
    23 Jan '03 15:28
    Originally posted by Jira
    What's "Grob" ? I'm not English native speaker so I may know it under different name ..
    1.g4

Dave
  9. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    24 Jan '03 01:52
    It's practically crap, except in Basman's hands.....but he's awesome!
  10. UK
    Moves
    24 Jan '03 20:38
    i'd be interested in a fischer random tournament. there is a fischer random generator you will find at http://www.chessgames.com/perl/fischerandom where you will also find-

Quick Rules for Fischerandom Chess

I. Fischerandom Chess is played with a normal chess board and pieces. All rules of Orthodox Chess apply except as otherwise noted.
    II. The initial configuration of the chess pieces is determined randomly for White, and the black pieces are placed equal and opposite the white pieces. The piece placement is subject to the constraints:
    a. the king is placed somewhere between the two rooks, and
    b. the bishops are on opposite colors.
    There are 960 such configurations. Pawns are placed on each player's second rank as in Orthodox Chess.
    III. Castling, as in Orthodox chess, is an exceptional move involving both the King and Rook. Castling is a valid move under these circumstances:
    a. Neither King nor Rook has moved.
    b. The King is not in check before or after castling.
    c. All squares between the King and Rook must be empty, and the final square of the Rook must be clear.
    d. No square through which the King moves is under enemy attack.
    The movement of the King and Rooks should be easily understood by players of Orthodox Chess:
    a. When castling on the h-side (White's right side), the King ends on g1, and the rook on f1, just like the O-O move in Orthodox chess.
    b. When castling on the a-side (White's left side), the King ends on c1, and the rook on d1, just like the O-O-O move in Orthodox chess.
    c. Sometimes the King will not need to move; sometimes the Rook will not need to move. That's OK.
    IV. The object is to checkmate the opponent's King. Have fun!

🙂😉🙄
  11. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    24 Jan '03 23:211 edit
    "IV. The object is to checkmate the opponent's King."

I need to bear this one in mind more whatever type of chess I'm playing!

Thanks for posting those rules. I was a little intimidated by all the rules for castling!! But think I'm with it now. Am glad this has been met with at least some interest, as the more I think about it the more I'd like to play in a tournament like this.

At the moment though there hasn't really been enough interest shown to justify Chris and Russ setting this kind of tournament up. Anyone else interested?

12. Donationlegionnaire
    Free Thinker
    New York City
    Moves
    25 Jan '03 16:46
    I'll play, I think it sounds good. Would the games be rated or unrated?

-mike
  13. Subscribertharg
    Tharg The Mighty
    Betelgeuse
    Moves
    26 Jan '03 21:04
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Who's with me for the Grob tournament?
    That's a great idea bbar! I'm in anyway. The Grob is a nutty opening!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree