1. Joined
    21 Nov '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 23:47
    I'm new to tournament chess. I'm curious if there are any tournament rules or guidelines for when a draw can be offered?

Take these two games for example:
    Game 3135541
    Game 3135545

Can anyone shed light on why a superior opponent agreed to draws in both games? It appears to me that these two players agreed to screw around in round 1 and just bye their way into round 2. In poker, something like this would be considered collusion and is prohibited. What about in chess?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '07 00:01
    its between the 2 players. the weaker player will just get knocked out in the next round.
  3. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '07 01:57
    Originally posted by SamSausage
    I'm new to tournament chess. I'm curious if there are any tournament rules or guidelines for when a draw can be offered?

Game 3135541
    Game 3135545

Can anyone shed light on why a superior opponent agreed to draws in both games? It appears to me that these two players agreed to screw around in round 1 an ...[text shortened]... ker, something like this would be considered collusion and is prohibited. What about in chess?
    I play poker and study Texas Hold'em. The top players often avoid going head to head while getting rid of the weaker players. Chessplayers do the same in OTB tournaments so why not here?
  4. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    28 Feb '07 04:08
    Originally posted by arrakis
    I play poker and study Texas Hold'em. The top players often avoid going head to head while getting rid of the weaker players. Chessplayers do the same in OTB tournaments so why not here?
    In the example given, there were no top players going head to head. This was the opportunity for the better one to eliminate the weaker one. That's not getting rid of weaker players, that is getting through yourself and causing more weaker players in the next round that it could have been.
  5. Joined
    21 Nov '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '07 06:01
    I found this on wikipedia:

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheating_in_chess)

Collusion

Over the years there have been many accusations of collusion, either of players deliberately losing (often to help a friend or teammate get a title norm), or of players agreeing to draws to help both players in a tournament.

-----

And this:

(http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=C0605)

V. The conduct of the players
    1. Where it is clear games have been pre-arranged, organizers my impose penalties.

---

It would be great to hear from someone in-the-know about these issues.
  6. Joined
    21 Nov '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '07 06:03
    Chessplayers do the same in OTB tournaments so why not here?
    How do they do this in OTB tournaments? Can you explain or link to any online info? Thanks.
  7. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    28 Feb '07 07:36

Game 3135541
    Game 3135545

Can anyone shed light on why a superior opponent agreed to draws in both games?
    The stronger player is simply a pawn down in his game as Black.

He may be losing as white. Qxb Rd1 Qd3 looks very strong threatening QxR RxR Rg1++

If Nf3 Qg6 again with g2/g1 mate threats...

I don't think white can hold; Qc1 Rg4 Nf3 Qd3 Qd1 Qe4 perhaps is best, but Black has all the chances and white can't do anything; maybe somebody can find an improvement.

Of course, if not Qc1...Black threatens Rg4 and Rxd4, and back rank threats... (for example Rd1 Rg4 Qh6 Qh6 Rxd4)
  8. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    28 Feb '07 22:57

Game 3135541
    Game 3135545

Can anyone shed light on why a superior opponent agreed to draws in both games? It appears to me that these two players agreed to screw around in round 1 an ...[text shortened]... ker, something like this would be considered collusion and is prohibited. What about in chess?
    Could be something as simple as too many games in progress, and by offering a draw in both games they know that they will advance to next round.

The lower rated player is happy because

1. They gain rating points
    2. They progress to next round
    3. Their records show two draws against a much higher rated player
  9. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    03 Mar '07 23:48
    skipping through this tourney i can see 23 clear results with a winner and loser, and only 3 drawn pairings.

It seems any problem is not too widespread.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree