1. Great Northeast
    Moves
    26 Jan '11 15:57
    Yes i agree , and also I notice these guys get into the tounament with good ratings and their opponet is 300-400 below their rating, and I don't understand how their rating goes up when their not winning that many games with against members with higher rating. If you play an opponet with a lower rating and win your rating shouldn't change. If you beat or draw against a higher rated opponet then your rating should increase. Playing a lot of games and beating up on somebody belowy your rating continues to climb and you really haven't done anything. Iw would be like Major league team playing a minor league team and counting it in the standings. Oh well is is what it is. some get their rocks off by winning, and don't care how. cheaters will alaways be there.
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    26 Jan '11 21:43
    Originally posted by mobkin
    Yes i agree , and also I notice these guys get into the tounament with good ratings and their opponet is 300-400 below their rating, and I don't understand how their rating goes up when their not winning that many games with against members with higher rating. If you play an opponet with a lower rating and win your rating shouldn't change. If you beat or draw ...[text shortened]... is. some get their rocks off by winning, and don't care how. cheaters will alaways be there.
    I consider it a huge stain on a profile when a user is rated near 1800 or 1900 having "smurfed" their way to that rating and having won 1100 and 1200 banded tournaments. It's pretty clear they're probably a strong 1400, and there's no shame in that... they just want more and look stupid doing it IMHO.

P-
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Jan '11 22:29
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I consider it a huge stain on a profile when a user is rated near 1800 or 1900 having "smurfed" their way to that rating and having won 1100 and 1200 banded tournaments. It's pretty clear they're probably a strong 1400, and there's no shame in that... they just want more and look stupid doing it IMHO.

P-
    You know what "looks stupid"? Your avatar.
  4. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    26 Jan '11 22:59
    Hi-jacking of thread, flame war initiation, and irrational hatred of kute pussies noted. 🙁
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Jan '11 23:29
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    Hi-jacking of thread, flame war initiation, and irrational hatred of kute pussies noted. 🙁
    Look in a dictionary for this word: "JOKE".
  6. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    27 Jan '11 02:24
    Well yes, just a long running joke around here with the form, :xxxxxxxx, noted.

Plus how often do you get to use the mis-spelled phrase, "kute pussies"?
  7. Croatia
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 12:50
    Tournament 11098, Tournament 11099 and Tournament 11100 (January 2011 Banded Hardcore Grand). Check out the first few players listed (New Zealand). How is that possible?? I was planing to enter this tournament, but now I having serious doubts.
  8. Santiago
    Moves
    08 Feb '11 02:39
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You know what "looks stupid"? Your avatar.
    LOL
  9. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 05:45
    What has been discussed in this thread is the strong player using an artifically low rating to get into a lower rated tournament.

What I actually dislike worse is a strong player with an artificially low rating using a high tournament entry rating to get into a high rated tournament.

For example, say I am at 1850 and I enter an 1800+ tournament, and then find one of my opponents has a 1250 rating. Sucks. If I beat him, I get no rating points (maybe 1 point), and if I lose, I get killed on rating points.

Of course all scenarios discussed in this thread I guess are technically within the rules. I am not too bothered by it.

If one cares about their numerical rating, it is not fun to play an opponent who has a 1250 rating but in reality is an 1800+ player.
  10. Standard memberCharltonfan
    Charltonfan
    Hextable,Kent
    Moves
    18 Mar '11 00:36
    I am currently in December 2010 mini banded quartets 11 1600-1650 banded tournament. I entered this tournament on the basis that all players would be rated within or close to this band. Unfortunately one of the players is currently rated at 1932 which makes a mockery of the banding.It is simply an unfair contest. I don't accept that the player in question has miraculously improved his game by 300 odd points since the tournament started and checking his stats which reveal 106 wins to only 4 losses and his graph which is steadily climbing, he surely must have been aware that his true rating was far above the tournament entry rating. I notice he has only been a member since december last year so I accept his rating had to start off lower to begin with but to my mind this is a no excuse for entering a tournament so far below his true level. You can call it sandbagging or cheating or whatever but I don't like to see it on this site and I can see many others feel the same. If i draw this unfairly matched opponent in the next round I plan to resign my games against him and urge others to do the same. No points will be lost if done within the 1st 3 moves. Until better controls come in the likelihood is that more and more people will start boycotting or withdrawing from tournaments and that can't be good for this site
  11. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '11 03:51
    Originally posted by Charltonfan
    I am currently in December 2010 mini banded quartets 11 1600-1650 banded tournament. I entered this tournament on the basis that all players would be rated within or close to this band. Unfortunately one of the players is currently rated at 1932 which makes a mockery of the banding.It is simply an unfair contest. I don't accept that the player in questio ...[text shortened]... le will start boycotting or withdrawing from tournaments and that can't be good for this site
    Agreed and rec'd.

...and my response to a Fenchurch St. resident.

Tournament 11358

skeets
  12. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    18 Mar '11 11:33
    Originally posted by Charltonfan
    I am currently in December 2010 mini banded quartets 11 1600-1650 banded tournament. I entered this tournament on the basis that all players would be rated within or close to this band. Unfortunately one of the players is currently rated at 1932 which makes a mockery of the banding.It is simply an unfair contest. I don't accept that the player in questio ...[text shortened]... le will start boycotting or withdrawing from tournaments and that can't be good for this site
    Do you think it would be fair to deny any player the right to play in a banded tournament because his rating is rising?

For instance, if you were to join the site today would it be fair to deny you entry into banded tournaments that were for players rated at 1500 and under?

When you check out the games of that player most are against 1600 and under opponents. So is the players just a strong 1600/1700 player beating up on lower rated players or are they a 1900+ rated player?

If you were to start say 50 games against 1200/1300 rated players the chances are you would win 95% plus and even if each game only gained you 4 or 5 points this would boost your rating by 200+ points - would that then make you an 1800+ rated player?

The tournament entry system works reasonably well, you will never please everyone and now that the person has attained such a high rating they will have a TER in excess of 1832 for the next year, so will be unable to affect tournaments for us mere mortals for a long time.

If I were you and you were drawn with this player, enjoy the challenge, they may not be as good as their rating implies. You could even just play for the draw in each game.

Sandbaggers and cheats are, regrettably, part of life in a chess site.

Just look at the "sandbaggers and cheats" and feel sorry that their lives are so crappy that they have to cheat on a chess site to make them feel better about themselves.
  13. Standard memberCharltonfan
    Charltonfan
    Hextable,Kent
    Moves
    30 Mar '11 14:43
    Yes, it's a fair point. I see from his games that he has played a lot of lower rated opposition which will have helped his rating climb steadily. But there are also 4 games of 1800 to 1900 rated players and he has won all of them. Luck? I doubt it. I know he is not doing anything wrong by amassing points from significantly weaker opposition. It's just about being fair and honest with yourself when entering tournaments. He is clearly an experienced player and must know what level he should be playing at. It's a tough one to control as you say.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree