1. Standard memberBriscoe
    Consigliere
    Ontario, Canada
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 17:59
    after reading Irax' thread about this, I was shocked to learn that people just resign against better players?!?!? it was a surpise since I haven't noticed it yet, and wouldnt even consider it...EVER

isn't one of the prime goals in chess, is to get better...how would you expect to get better without playing better opponents

learning through experience...not a new philosophy
  2. London
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 18:22
    Originally posted by Briscoe
    after reading Irax' thread about this, I was shocked to learn that people just resign against better players?!?!? it was a surpise since I haven't noticed it yet, and wouldnt even consider it...EVER

isn't one of the prime goals in chess, is to get better...how would you expect to get better without playing better opponents

learning through experience...not a new philosophy
    That's why low rated players enter open tournaments...

Banded tournaments are there so that people can play against players of their own class; not against really high rated players.
  3. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 12:51
    Originally posted by Freddie2006
    That's why low rated players enter open tournaments...

Banded tournaments are there so that people can play against players of their own class; not against really high rated players.
    Fair play if you enter a Open Tournement, you have to expect to play opponents way above your rating every now and then.
    But i'm in the feb Banded tournement banded at 1-1250 and there is a guy in there whose rating is over 1700.
    luckily he is not in my group but if i qualify for the next round, i will resign in protest 🙁
  4. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 18:21
    Originally posted by millerman
    Fair play if you enter a Open Tournement, you have to expect to play opponents way above your rating every now and then.
    But i'm in the feb Banded tournement banded at 1-1250 and there is a guy in there whose rating is over 1700.
    luckily he is not in my group but if i qualify for the next round, i will resign in protest 🙁
    Maybe hes not that good, he may just have a 1700 rating becasue everyone is resigning againts him, I mean, all he had to do is win 1 game againts a 2000 rated player, which raised his points up, then somone resigned, because he was rated 150 points higher then him and it kept going
  5. Joined
    20 Dec '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 18:33
    Can we not argue that this behaviour is bringing the game into disrepute.

There can be 101 reasons for timeouts....but you have to actively resign a game.

Surely there is something in the site regulations?
  6. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 19:17
    Originally posted by flyUnity
    Maybe hes not that good, he may just have a 1700 rating becasue everyone is resigning againts him, I mean, all he had to do is win 1 game againts a 2000 rated player, which raised his points up, then somone resigned, because he was rated 150 points higher then him and it kept going
    Sorry,
    If he can beat a player rated over 2000 to bump up his points then fine, fiar play too him, but what is he doing beating a player with a rating that high, surely he knows he's so much better than everyone in the particular tournement and is just going for the easy victory.
    And no one would resign to him if he was a couple of hundred points above the rating required in the tournement, but 500 is just having a laugh.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree