1. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 09:531 edit
    Originally posted by Tengu
    1500 vs 1900 has a better chance.

At 1000 the chances of getting a winning position are slim. The chances of throwing it away should you get it are very high.

A 1500 player should have some understanding of chess and positional/strategic/tactical concepts.

That said I still hang pieces far too often for my liking!
    i think the most important thing is determination to play to the end ...

many people resign as soon as they are a piece down ...

but they should not do this against someone 500 points lower ...

this is the crucial point ... if the weaker player somehow flukes a gain ... then will the stronger player patheically resign? ... or will they struggle on ...

the stronger player will probably find many tricks to neutralise the lower rated player's material advantage ... unfortunately they will also almost certainly underestimate their ability to do so.
  2. Joined
    20 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 10:56
    I couldn't agree more.
  3. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 14:141 edit
    I must say that it is not sporting to simply resign because you don't like someone. In fact it is childish. What if everyone from a particular club resigned to their highest rated member when they played in an OTB tourneament? He may beat them if they played, but at least he has to try.

What does giving up because they are higher rated say about your character?
  4. Joined
    20 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 00:50
    I work in an orthopaedic dept.

If anyone would like a spare backbone I'm sure I can source one somewhere!
  5. Joined
    20 Aug '03
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 13:28
    Originally posted by Ravello
    By the way I'll leave you guys here debating this very interesting and fundamental matter of life,I have better things to do.
    Cry on.
    Most of your threads are either stipulating that you have superior intelligence to other members, and quite often insult people when the going gets tough. oh! and leave the thread.

You are in my opinion, one of the most obnoxious on this site.

The rude? is that something to do with your name lav role
  6. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 18:10
    Originally posted by 0rbital
    In response, i would say that it would be bad sportsmanship to instantly resign to only the high rated players in a tournament. If a player resigns in this way, for whatever personal or professional reasons they might have, they should resing to all games and therefore pullout from the tournament. Even if the chance of beating high rated players is slim, i ...[text shortened]... way you are effectively not playing to win and should pullout thus resigning from all games.
    This is exactly my point. Resign all or none. I think Ravello has conceded the point because he is no longer defending himself. Pfft and bollocks to him.
  7. Standard memberRavello
    The RudeĀ©
    who knows?
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 18:28
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    This is exactly my point. Resign all or none. I think Ravello has conceded the point because he is no longer defending himself. Pfft and bollocks to him.
    My god,are you guys still debating this crap?

In case you great minds missed the point, I didn't "conceded the point" nor I have to "defend myself",as you say, because I did nothing against the rules.

I simply wrote this on the 8th February and did what I wrote:By the way I'll leave you guys here debating this very interesting and fundamental matter of life,I have better things to do.
    Cry on.

Then the thread had a quick death until some of you crybabies resurrected it after two weeks because he had nothing better to do and obviously you couldn't miss the opportunity to have another cheap shot at me.

I reiterate what I said two weeks ago: continue debating and crying about the fact that I resigned some games if it pleases you.

If you are still thinking about me after a couple of weeks that this thread was dead then you guys must have some serious problems......
  8. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 18:411 edit

In case you great minds missed the point, I didn't "conceded the point" nor I have to "defend myself",as you say, because I did nothing against the rules.

I simply wrote this on the [b]8th February
    and did what I wrote:[i]By the way I'll leave you guys here debating this very interesting and fundamental le of weeks that this thread was dead then you guys must have some serious problems......[/b]
    The thread's not dead and you've done nothing against the rules. Just chickened out without doing the honourable thing. Goodbye.
    EDIT: this will probably be my last words on this subject. Maybe it will die.
  9. Joined
    14 Jul '04
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 14:113 edits

I simply wrote this on the [b]8th February
    and did what I wrote:[i]By the way I'll leave you guys here debating this very interesting and fundamental le of weeks that this thread was dead then you guys must have some serious problems......[/b]
    [/i]I do not think people are concerned whether it is against the rules or not, nor your personal game practices. I think we are simply discussing game etiquette and sportsmanship when it comes to resigning games before they begin.

As you pointed out, you left this thread a while ago. So why come back arguing a point about rules and dishing out abuse? It seems that you are the one who is still thinking about you, not everyone else.

If you have a point for either side of this discussion then please post it. Insulting everyone and repeatedly stating how you think this thread is not worth contributing to, makes me think that you find resigning games, before they start, under the umbrella of good sportsmanship but have not argument for it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree