Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    23 Aug '04 01:301 edit
    Originally posted by Russ
    Min entrants has been reduced to 45.

-Russ
    i can understand this - it guarantees that the tournament will get started,

but i do not see the need to cap it at a maximum of just 60 players - this format can take 180 players with no slowdown in tournament time.

why not just leave the max players at a very high number and see how many come for the ride.
  3. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Aug '04 23:10
    Originally posted by flexmore
    i can understand this - it guarantees that the tournament will get started,

but i do not see the need to cap it at a maximum of just 60 players - this format can take 180 players with no slowdown in tournament time.

why not just leave the max players at a very high number and see how many come for the ride.
    I disagree the more players the slower it will drag along. I'm in several tournaments right now and find that once a player realizes he or she has lost the game they begin to slow down their play and use all the timebank they have. Not all players as many will do the right thing and either finish it right away or resign but in a group o lets say 15 there will be about 3 or 4 people who will play like that and slow down the tournment, its the reason so many tournaments are still going that should be finished or should be into later rounds. Look at the mini duels, 1 day timeout 7 day timebank and yet they still drag on longer than they really should. If that tournament reaches over 100 players it will drag on for who knows how long as there are going to be players who use all 40 timebank days just to be idiots. Ever seen it take 3 weeks to get from mate in 3 to mate? Well I have in a 1/14 tournament in which the player purposely used up all the time possible just because he could. Smaller is better.
  4. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    24 Aug '04 00:412 edits
    you seem to argue against yourself: as you say - even the mini duels drag on.

even with only 45 players this tournament will be likely to last very close to 80 days in the opening round.

with 180 players it will also last only 80 days in the opening round!

- unfortunately the problem seems to be getting enough entrants - i dropped out when the max players was reduced.
    david tebb and digitgus were both in there at one stage, i don't know why they left.
  5. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '04 07:09
    Originally posted by flexmore
    you seem to argue against yourself: as you say - even the mini duels drag on.

even with only 45 players this tournament will be likely to last very close to 80 days in the opening round.

with 180 players it will also last only 80 days in the opening round!

- unfortunately the problem seems to be getting enough entrants - i dropped out when the max ...[text shortened]... reduced.
    david tebb and digitgus were both in there at one stage, i don't know why they left.
    was the timebank changed? Thought it was 40 days?? But anyway, the more people, the more rounds which is wh I'm saying it will drag on, luckily there is no timeout so as soon as your opponent moves you should start using timebank so im saying each round will go the full 40 days and with tons of people there will be more rounds to go the full 40 days.
  6. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    24 Aug '04 11:43
    Originally posted by TRACKHEAD21
    was the timebank changed? Thought it was 40 days?? But anyway, the more people, the more rounds which is wh I'm saying it will drag on, luckily there is no timeout so as soon as your opponent moves you should start using timebank so im saying each round will go the full 40 days and with tons of people there will be more rounds to go the full 40 days.
    i think you miscalculate:
    with 180 people there will still only be two rounds!
  7. Subscribertharg
    Tharg The Mighty
    Betelgeuse
    Moves
    27 Aug '04 16:21
    i'm in this tourney. when i go on hols what happens? can oppents claim a win?
  8. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Aug '04 23:33
    Originally posted by tharg
    yes they can, vacation is not respected in tournaments you will automatically get timedout 2 days after you run out of timebank.
  9. Subscribertharg
    Tharg The Mighty
    Betelgeuse
    Moves
    30 Aug '04 11:08
    Can you explain the idea of timebank?
  10. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 16:46
    I agree with TRACKHEAD21.
    I'm in this tournament and already started to see some players drag themselves in each play, after realizing that a match is coming to a end, they simply STOP!! Why? Is there a point in this behavior?
    I prefer none / low timebank matches such as this tournament, but for now on I'll be more selective in this matter.
    [[]]
  11. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    01 Sep '04 12:06
    Originally posted by tharg
    how long is your holiday?

if you have a two week holiday then:
    NOOOOOO!!! they cannot claim a win!
    you will lose 14 days of your timebank but the game is still alive :-)

if you have a " 45 day holiday" then you will be timed out.
    and so you should.
  12. Amsterdam
    Moves
    01 Sep '04 14:31
    Flex, I don't think that Trackhead totally understands the tournament.

Sir, the tournament doesn't work with the time-OUT system, but with the time-BANK! That means that once time of the time-bank is used, it doesn't replenish. That also means that it doesn't matter how many groups you put into the tournament, one round will always take about 80 days! 🙂

Olav

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree