Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Tournaments Forum

Tournaments Forum

  1. 19 Sep '06 17:56
    The tournament is almost to the final round.

    Great bunch of games all, who's gonna get the t-shirt!

    Tournament 793
  2. 19 Sep '06 23:45
    Originally posted by tmetzler
    who's gonna get the t-shirt!

    Tournament 793
    The person who wins?

    😛
  3. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    20 Sep '06 01:12
    Quirine, schakuhr and I managed to fail to eliminate anyone in the last round.
  4. 21 Sep '06 21:30 / 1 edit
    For those that have played in the tournament, what do you think of the setup?

    Timeout 1 days
    Timebank 14 days
    Group Size 2

    I decided I wanted Duel tournament so that we could get higher quality games (instead of people trying to manage too many games).

    1 day timeout with 14 days, i thought would keep it moving along quickly, but since it was a duel, it wouldn't take too much effort to keep up. Also, I wanted to still have minimal grey hair when it completed! 6 completed rounds in a year (Started 20 Sep '05 20:00)

    I ask, because I may sponsor another tournament for the hell of it when this one finishes.
  5. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    22 Sep '06 00:40
    Originally posted by tmetzler
    For those that have played in the tournament, what do you think of the setup?

    Timeout 1 days
    Timebank 14 days
    Group Size 2

    I decided I wanted Duel tournament so that we could get higher quality games (instead of people trying to manage too many games).

    1 day timeout with 14 days, i thought would keep it moving along quickly, but since it was ...[text shortened]...

    I ask, because I may sponsor another tournament for the hell of it when this one finishes.
    I liked it. I don't play on weekends so I had to save my timebank for those and play quite often during the week. But I don't think I got below 4 days timebank remaining in any of my games. I also think that duels work much better for themed tournaments. I've enjoyed it much more than the Dragon tournament (which was group size 4).
  6. 22 Sep '06 19:24
    Originally posted by tmetzler
    For those that have played in the tournament, what do you think of the setup?

    Timeout 1 days
    Timebank 14 days
    Group Size 2

    I decided I wanted Duel tournament so that we could get higher quality games (instead of people trying to manage too many games).

    1 day timeout with 14 days, i thought would keep it moving along quickly, but since it was ...[text shortened]...

    I ask, because I may sponsor another tournament for the hell of it when this one finishes.
    I liked that it was a duel. I would have preferred a 3 day timeout, as I normally don't play faster games. But I can see the advantage of making it faster, too, and since it's just two games at a time (unless you happen to end up in a group of three), it's manageable. I would definitely not have entered if it had been 1/14 and not a duel.
  7. 07 Nov '06 15:16
    Last round is underway!
  8. 13 Nov '06 13:51
    Its a good level of timebank. I do hope you sponser another tourney as its one i'd love to play in having just started playing 1. f4 in the last few months.
  9. 13 Nov '06 14:56
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    Last round is underway!
    Congrats on getting to the final!
  10. 13 Nov '06 14:59 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Tengu
    Its a good level of timebank. I do hope you sponser another tourney as its one i'd love to play in having just started playing 1. f4 in the last few months.
    Any suggestions on which line would be good for a followup tourney?

    How about the Bird vs. "The Recipe"

    1. f4 d5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. e3 Bg4

    Also, I'd probably change it to 2/14 instead of 1/14 to accomodate those players that don't play on the weekends.
  11. 13 Nov '06 18:58
    Originally posted by tmetzler
    Also, I'd probably change it to 2/14 instead of 1/14 to accomodate those players that don't play on the weekends.
    Is that possible? I have never seen 2 day timeouts.
  12. 13 Nov '06 19:44
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Is that possible? I have never seen 2 day timeouts.
    I'd be fairly surprised if Russ couldn't set it up that way. But excellent point.
  13. 05 Jan '07 19:37
    I noticed that schakuhr was a true competitor and opted not to claim the timeout victory in the final round of this tournament. Cheers to you sir!

    So a new final round has begun.
  14. Standard member HomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    05 Jan '07 21:07
    Please tmetzler, atleast a 3 day timeout, this is correspondence chess!