1. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 08:59
    flatten your rating curve so that you are not forced up into higher rating bands.

do not enjoy a rating rise when you know you have many losing games that you are ignoring.

the big mistake people make is to have a peak rating and feel good about it, then suffer a reality check back 200 points and then have to enter the wrong bands.

flatten your rating curve so that you are not forced up into higher rating bands.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 10:58
    Originally posted by flexmore

do not enjoy a rating rise when you know you have many losing games that you are ignoring.

the big mistake people make is to have a peak rating and feel good about it, then suffer a reality check back 200 points and then have to enter the wrong bands.

I have a rating which keeps peaking just above 1600 for example at the time of this writting I am 1605. This means that I have to enter the 1600-1800 band and I have no hope of beating the 1800 players!

I guess I could start manageing my rating by carefully resigning loosing games before finishing off winning games, but I cant always predict when other players will resign. Also I dont usually resign a game till I know I have lost for sure and then I resign anyway so I cant really resign faster, so I am stuck with delaying my wins.

A much better solution for me would be if every second banded tornament had a 1500-1700 band instead of always having the 1600-1800

I dont know if this could work but could the torney ratings be based on some sort of smoothed rating or average rating over the last month?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 11:48

some people enjoy playing better players then themselves.
  4. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 13:13

The only problem is that I have had too many people give back "lost games" to consider resigning until they prove they have a clear plan for victory. I don't spend extra time analyzing those games trying to save a draw (unless I think it feasible). The big problem for me is that at some point, I get discouraged and end up resigning 5-6 games all at once.
  5. Glasgow, Scotland
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 15:49
    I have the same dilemma. My rating fluctuates so much that I am currently playing in tourneys within 1500-1599 , 1600-1699 and 1700-1899 bands. I don't feel my rating has ever been truly reflective of my playing strength, just a reflection of how I'm playing/feeling at a particular time. However, I do like playing in tournaments and I don't want to wait ages until my rating comes down to a more average number, so I just enter whatever is available at the time.
    So, the players in the 1700-1899 will probably use me as cannon-fodder, those in the 1600-1699 - who knows, and those in the 1500-1599 might have trouble getting points from me. However, I just lost to two sub-1500's......
    A final point, all the players currently in the top 30 were all once in these lower bands. It follows that some top players of the future may already be there waiting for us, and we are but stepping stones on their way tyo greatness........
  6. Swansea
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 21:24
    Originally posted by trevor33
    some people enjoy playing better players then themselves.
    thats the only reason I enter tourneys cos im crap and dont have a hope to win any, I just want the experience of playing better players and also to try and learn a few things too 😀 well said trevor!
  7. Joined
    21 Aug '03
    Moves
    12 Apr '06 21:34

Earn a place in higher bands than you deserve, and get games with people 200 points better than you, winning doesn't make you better!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree