1. Joined
    13 Jul '06
    Moves
    12 May '14 22:38
    Hello fellow chess enthusiasts,
    I just entered a tournament that was rated for players with a tournament rating of 1425-1450. I now see that someone entered the tournament with a tournament rating of 1472. Is this legal? Is this allowed? And, if so, how is this fair to all those with lesser tournament ratings?
    Any comments, options or information regarding this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Peace, Bob
    HiChief
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    13 May '14 04:51
    Originally posted by HiChief
    I just entered a tournament that was rated for players with a tournament rating of 1425-1450. I now see that someone entered the tournament with a tournament rating of 1472. Is this legal? Is this allowed? And, if so, how is this fair to all those with lesser tournament ratings?
    Any comments, options or information regarding this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Peace, Bob
    HiChief
    At the moment the person entered their rating was in the brackett. It probably rose after the fact by winning one or more games...this can't beruled out.

Somebody suggested some time ago in the Site Ideas to remove people who fall out of rating bracketts. The problem is with a 25 point brackett it is near to impossible that some people fall out in the one or other direction.

Swiss Gambit is campaigning for years now for a fixed rating floor whihc only mves into direction of higher rating but to no avail...
  3. Joined
    13 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 May '14 22:29
    Hey everybody,
    Thanks for your replies. I, too, have approached RHP about this topic in the past and all I received in return was alot of doubletalk. You are right, though, it really is RHP's responsibility to monitor their own affairs. I mean, what's the sense of having limits if they are not going to be regulated and enforced.
    I am going to attempt to contact RHP regarding this issue again. Perhaps, if you'd like to join in, they might get the message. Who knows, it's worth a try. So, get those keyboards humming and let's see if we can't all help each other bring about some changes.
    Any input on your part will greatly appreciated on my part. THANKS!
    Peace, Bob
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    14 May '14 11:18
    The way forward would be permanent rating floors.

I will post a new thread in "Site Ideas".

Please post there to keep that one afloat.
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    26 May '14 00:03
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    The way forward would be permanent rating floors.

I will post a new thread in "Site Ideas".

Please post there to keep that one afloat.
    There are somewhat rating floors and they last a year. I made the mistake of beating all higher rated players all at once by waiting to checkmate all the games at once to get a hi rating. That was sad becasue I got stuck at a rating leave that I don't raealy play at. But I am so glad my entry rating went down!
  6. Here
    Moves
    26 May '14 14:56
    Originally posted by HiChief
    Peace, Bob
    HiChief
    If all tournaments were banded this would stop all the problems of ratings
    If during a tournament you exceeded the rating for the band you entered in you would be promoted to the next level in the next round .this should stop all the sand bagging
  7. Subscriberflyingcod
    Berg Katze
    The Edge of Sanity
    Moves
    10 Jun '14 16:55
    My TER is 1202 and I have a pending tournament from 1200-1250. If I lost a game or two and went below the 1200 would I be refused entry for the tournament if it hasn't started?

fc
  8. Subscriberflyingcod
    Berg Katze
    The Edge of Sanity
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 10:091 edit
    Guess I'll find out soon enough, now on 1199. :'(

fc
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    13 Jun '14 15:45
    Originally posted by flyingcod
    My TER is 1202 and I have a pending tournament from 1200-1250. If I lost a game or two and went below the 1200 would I be refused entry for the tournament if it hasn't started?

fc
    No you won't. TER is taken into account only while registering...
  10. Subscriberflyingcod
    Berg Katze
    The Edge of Sanity
    Moves
    14 Jun '14 11:41
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    No you won't. TER is taken into account only while registering...
    Thanks Ponderable, I was refusing to move in games where I will prob lose so I could still play. But 1208 now. 😳

fc

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree