1. DonationChris
    Site Admin
    Wimbledon
    Moves
    10 Feb '04 21:34
    Hi,

I've noticed some discussion on here about the ratings players have when they enter tournaments as opposed to the ratings they have when the tournament starts.

I propose a new system that looks at the highest rating you have achieved in the last 30 days when considering your eligibility for a tournament.

You would have a new entry on your user profile called Highest rating in last 30 days and this would be the figure that would have to be within the ratings bounds when entering a tournament.

Thoughts?
  2. Joined
    31 Jul '03
    Moves
    10 Feb '04 22:11
    Good idea! Sounds pretty much like the optimal solution to me. I'm all for it.

-Jarno
  3. Joined
    19 Aug '02
    Moves
    10 Feb '04 22:29
    I agree with the idea
  4. Standard membereyeqpc
    Robbo
    a Brave new world
    Moves
    10 Feb '04 22:35
    The only option, go for it

Robbo
  5. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    10 Feb '04 23:221 edit
    US Chess Federation uses rating floors for similar reasons. It keeps people from artificially dropping her ratings in order to enter tournaments at a lower level (especially when cash prizes are involved). The floors are set by subtracting 200 points from your rating then and changing the last two digits to zero. A player rated 1798 would have a floor of 1500 (1798 - 200 = 1598 -> 1500).

Its also one more reason not to cheat. If you get your rating artificially high by cheating, you will be stuck needing to cheat in the future just to win a few games. That's no fun! πŸ˜•

You could still lose by timeouts but your playing strength would still be accurate. No surprises when you play someone and your would get all the benefits if you beat them. πŸ˜€
  6. Standard memberRavello
    The RudeΒ©
    who knows?
    Moves
    10 Feb '04 23:33
    that's the thing we were waiting for,Chrismo!
  7. Joined
    19 Oct '03
    Moves
    11 Feb '04 02:19
    i dont like it ......if your rating is lower than the limit you should be in that torney......so your saying that to enter a tornament it matters how well you played last month???
  8. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    11 Feb '04 03:05
    Originally posted by TDR1
    i dont like it ......if your rating is lower than the limit you should be in that torney......so your saying that to enter a tornament it matters how well you played last month???
    Yes! You've got it! If you played so well last month that your rating was a lot higher than it is now, that proves you can play at a higher level than your rating implies. If there's a rapid drop in your rating, it's likely that it's due to timeouts, not poor play. But maybe 30 days is not a good measure. 30 games would be better.

I think a rating floor is even better. The floor could have a rule that says your rating cannot drop below the floor rate due to timeout loses. Otherwise, your rating could drop below due to normal loses and your floor could be re-calculated. (see my post above)
  9. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    11 Feb '04 10:33
    I think we are on the right track with this idea.

I would also like to appeal to players to be honorable when considering entering a tourney and ask themselves if they feel that their level of play is appropriate. A tournament should be meaningful to all the people involved and every player who signs up should be able to honestly evaluate their chances and know what they are up against.
  10. SubscriberCroc
    Happy Snappies Clan!
    Everglades
    Moves
    11 Feb '04 12:35
    I think it is a superb idea and just what the doctor ordered! πŸ™„
  11. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    11 Feb '04 13:134 edits
    i like it πŸ™‚

but i have one small winge about the timeout issue too: imagine dustnrogers entering a 1000 and under tournament?! 30 days is no problem for him. but 30 games also fails. to deal with such cases the last 200 games might need to be considered!

perhaps excluding provisionally rated players from these tourneys is also a good idea.
  12. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    11 Feb '04 15:49
    Perhaps the floor or limit should be based on a percentage of your last finished games. The percentage may need to be adjusted for the total number of games also.

And to throw in another idea to chew on. πŸ˜€ What if rated games had to be played with someone within 400 points of your own rating? All other games would be automatic non-rated. That would help smooth out rating jumps and encourage players of wide ratings to play each other without worrying about hurting their own ratings.

* Have a ratings floor based on a sliding percentage of your most recent finished games.

* Your rating could not drop below the floor due to timeout loses, but could for loses by check-mates and resignations.

* Have a maximum player rating difference for a game to be rated.
  13. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    09 Mar '04 23:27
    I think Chrismo had it right the first time, all these ideas have value but i don't think anyone has offered a simple solution. Last 30 days is accurate enouph!

πŸ™‚¬~

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree