1. Farnborough
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 01:51
    I'm getting a bit fed up with the way the ranking system is being mismanaged or even abused. Ranking tournaments should be for people who are the same level of play. This often does not happen. We all know why, it is not unusual to see a high level player enter a low level tournament simply because he or she went througha period of losing games due to timeouts and has dropped dramaticaly in level. They start playing again and are allowed to enter tournamants which they can win hands down. It should not be allowed to happen. I have enjoyed playing here but I am getting to the point of quiting because of this silly situation.

For goodness sake do something aboutv this crazy situation.
  2. Standard memberWildfire
    Force of Nature
    The Bathroom
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 02:08
    Originally posted by Goggy
    I'm getting a bit fed up with the way the ranking system is being mismanaged or even abused. Ranking tournaments should be for people who are the same level of play. This often does not happen. We all know why, it is not unusual to see a high level player enter a low level tournament simply because he or she went througha period of losing games due to timeout ...[text shortened]... because of this silly situation.

For goodness sake do something aboutv this crazy situation.
    Quitting because of tournaments? Preposterous.
  3. Farnborough
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 12:52
    I never said that. I was poiinting out that the rating system is flawed if it allows good players to enter tournamants which they will win easily.

I was once in atournament where a 1800+ player was playing 1200 rated players simply because he has dropped in the ratings due to his absence and he had lost a lot of games due to timeouts. Ok, he has to start playing somewhere but it is unfair on the lower rated players. He shold have be moved to a higher ranked tournament.
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 13:32
    there are several threads to the same point here, in only chess and in general.

Please make a good suggestion or support a good one, like and all-time-high-rating parameter for banded tournaments
  5. Standard memberWildfire
    Force of Nature
    The Bathroom
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 14:01
    I never said that. I was poiinting out that the rating system is flawed if it allows good players to enter tournamants which they will win easily.

I was once in atournament where a 1800+ player was playing 1200 rated players simply because he has dropped in the ratings due to his absence and he had lost a lot of games due to timeouts. Ok, he has to start p ...[text shortened]... t it is unfair on the lower rated players. He shold have be moved to a higher ranked tournament.
    I believe most of us have had this happen to us. I myself enter banded tourneys in the hopes of at least advancing to the next round, only to find myself paired up with people who's ratings increase to 1500 and above, and I really don't care because I enjoy the challenge and whatnot.
  6. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 18:19
    The only real solution to such a problem is a minimum rating system. That then causes problems because it may artificially inflate ratings when someone does get worse.
  7. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 17:47
    Don't enter tournaments. Its really that simple.
  8. Earth Prime
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 18:53
    We need to adopt a team of Tournament Mods. They have the power to remove players from tournaments, and progress tournaments. They will check people in banded tourneys, and also respond quickly to any complaints of a strong player in a low banding.

I'm being serious.
  9. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 19:22
    Originally posted by Coconut
    We need to adopt a team of Tournament Mods. They have the power to remove players from tournaments, and progress tournaments. They will check people in banded tourneys, and also respond quickly to any complaints of a strong player in a low banding.

I'm being serious.
    thats not a bad idea.
  10. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    06 Nov '05 09:231 edit
    Originally posted by Coconut

I'm being serious.
    just remember ...

when a 2000+ player wins a 1300-1400 tournament,

the scar will show on their profile FOR EVER AND EVER AND EVER !!!!! HA HA HA HA HA ! ! !!!!
  11. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 00:08
    Originally posted by flexmore
    just remember ...

[b]the scar will show on their profile FOR EVER AND EVER AND EVER !!!!! HA HA HA HA HA ! ! !!!!
    [/b]
    Indeed. It really accentuates their profile doesn't it?
  12. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    12 Nov '05 18:53
    Originally posted by flexmore
    just remember ...

[b]the scar will show on their profile FOR EVER AND EVER AND EVER !!!!! HA HA HA HA HA ! ! !!!!
    [/b]
    I disagree, I certainly do not consider my tournament win as a scar. I won a rookie tournament when I had got to 1800 (because it took about 18 months to get to the final so EVERYONE had the opportunity to improve over the 18 months). I have been runner up 5 times in either lower banded or rookie tournaments to players with ratings of over 2100! Including 3 times to Fckallie who is one of the strongest players on this site. The reason why we ended up higher rated was that these tournaments take so long.
  13. Standard membercludi
    Blogger
    Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Nov '05 08:02
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    Including 3 times to Fckallie who is one of the strongest players on this site.
    You should consider yourself the winner of these 3 as you were only beat by an engine.
  14. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    13 Nov '05 09:042 edits
    Originally posted by cludi
    You should consider yourself the winner of these 3 as you were only beat by an engine.
    Thanks for pointing that out Cludi, I am amazed! I thought he was a great player and he was so gracious during our games and joining in a bit of banter with me afterwards. But I suppose given my position yesterday (prior to you telling me about fckallie) I should be pleased.
    What on earth did he get out of that, apart from completely wasting hours of his time? although I suppose he didn't spend that long getting the moves from an engine.

I also note that he was the leader of the clan which won the 3 day timeout league where we finished 3rd, if we had not lost our second strongest player who dropped out of all his games we could possibly have considered ourselves the winner of this league (although I do appreciate it was the 'holiday season' and many other teams also suffered disruption).

Edit: whoops it was only 2 (not 3) I would be fairly optimistic of winning one of them had fckallie not been involved, in the other I think I would be a slight underdog to eomer who is rated about 50 points more than me and was knocked out by fckallie in an earlier round.
  15. Standard memberSmiffy
    SPS CLAN
    Wales
    Moves
    13 Nov '05 15:52
    alot ov players cheat 2200 upwards r mostly engines apart from tebb

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree