1. Joined
    21 Mar '14
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 07:29
    Are there any tournaments for non subscribers? If yes how do I identify them. I see a few available tournaments on my home page but when I want to join them, it denies stating that the tournament is only for subscribers. If it is only for subscribers why does that pop up on my home page?
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 10:34
    Originally posted by bindaschess
    Are there any tournaments for non subscribers? If yes how do I identify them. I see a few available tournaments on my home page but when I want to join them, it denies stating that the tournament is only for subscribers. If it is only for subscribers why does that pop up on my home page?
    A few explanatory remarks:

* The site wants people to become subscribers.
    * People will subscribe if they do have enough value for their dollars.

* Tournaments are subscriber only. MIght be that some people consider a subscription if they can play in tournaments and be recognised for winning those.

* Non-subs get advertisments. You can think of the open tournament list on your home as an advertisment of RHP/TFC/CAW

* Non-subs are restricted to six parallel games. It would be near to impossible to put on that constraint if non-subs would be allowed into tournaments.

* There are sometimes (nit every year) torunaments for non-subscribers.
    *There are privately organised tournaments for non-subs , eg. in Clubs, try Club 289 if you want to.
  3. Joined
    21 Mar '14
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 14:03
    Thanks for the clarification. I knew all this but was curious when I saw 28 games in progress for a particular ID (who is also a standard member) and they are all tournament games, so was wondering how was that possible.
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 15:00
    They have some about once every 6 months. For the first 64 who enter it. It comes out to a little less then .77 cents a week to be a paying subscriber.
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 15:46
    Thanks for the clarification. I knew all this but was curious when I saw 28 games in progress for a particular ID (who is also a standard member) and they are all tournament games, so was wondering how was that possible.
    If your subscription ends you keep all games in progress, you just can't start new ones until you renew your subscription. So you can have tournaments at a discount by subscribing for one month (is that option still up?) enlist in all tournaments you can and then play them off while being a non-sub again...
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 19:48
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    If your subscription ends you keep all games in progress, you just can't start new ones until you renew your subscription. So you can have tournaments at a discount by subscribing for one month (is that option still up?) enlist in all tournaments you can and then play them off while being a non-sub again...
    I believe that it keeps charging your credit card annually until your credit card expires?
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    09 Apr '14 04:33
    If you cancel your subscription your credit card won't be hit on its next anniversary. So if you were determined to exploit the loophole you'd load up with tourney and clan games just before you cancelled the subscription, play them off at your leisure, and when sometime in the future you found yourself with only a few games you'd pay a new subscription. Probably save yourself the massive amount of $10 or even $20 this way. 😕

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree