1. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    20 Jan '03 13:45
    I know this one was beaten to death, but what is the rule for timouts in tourneys.. are they complusory or can you give them a few extra days?
  2. Standard memberzach918
    Banned
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jan '03 13:52
    i'm not sure. used to you could give them a few extra day, but i don't know about right now ๐Ÿ˜
  3. DonationLuck
    TEA PARTY MEMBER
    St Maarten, Neth Ant
    Moves
    20 Jan '03 15:26
    I did claim T/O in the tournament Quick Fire II at first, against the best players except for one who I had a loss and a draw against. T/O led to the fact that I will win the tournament, but I feel that was "almost" like unsportmanlike. I feel quilty about it now since I feel that I will not win a "clean" title. Most likely I would not have won the tournament either if I didn't claim the T/O.

Sincerely,

Harri
    a.k.a. Luck
  4. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    21 Jan '03 11:45
    hmm, quickfire is different as half the point it that the time to move is tiny. In the longer tourneys it's different though and I appreciate what you're saying about "clean" victories.
    If there is no rule that says timouts MUST be adheared to in tourneys then I will give extra time.
    If there is a rule that says timeouts MUST be taken immediatly in tourneys I think such timeouts should be done automatically by the system instead of making the other player claim it. This would remove guilt & agreements to not time each other out ect...
    Guidence in this would still be nice.
    My oponent has moved now anyway๐Ÿ™‚
    Jon
  5. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    28 Jan '03 20:32
    bump... I'd still like an answer

my opponent has again gone past his timeout. I'll give him a warning that next time I will get timed out because I am interested in keeping the tourney moving (noone mention the BIT 1300 group - it's not our fault we keep drawing).

Some clear ruling would be appreciated

Jon
  6. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    28 Jan '03 20:45
    Seems like when the tournaments first started here, it was stated that time-outs should be taken right away, but don't know where I saw it.

I'll look around and see if I can find it.

I claim time outs fairly quickly in my regular games, unless my opponent explains why they can't move in the alloted time, so claiming one in a tournament game poses no problem for me.

Others seem to be bothered by claiming a time-out, but I just think of it as one of the rules of the game, which it is.

I'll get back to this thread if I can find anything more specific.

regards, Marc
  7. Standard membergodzillion
    (dandan)
    State College, PA
    Moves
    28 Jan '03 21:15
    I suppose you can always send a move reminder arbitrarily long before timing out your opponent. Anyone know if move reminders will still reach you if you turn off email move notifications?
  8. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    28 Jan '03 21:27
    Originally posted by godzillion
    I suppose you can always send a move reminder arbitrarily long before timing out your opponent. Anyone know if move reminders will still reach you if you turn off email move notifications?
    I don't know, but I guess you could test it out in one of your games.

Marc
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    29 Jan '03 01:13
    I do not know why this topic keeps getting so much discussion. It seems a cut and dried issue to me. If your opponent has timed out in a tournament game, then claim the victory. Tournaments are for blood, there should be no mercy given unless your opponent has specifically asked for a stay of execution. When my opponents get close to timing out, I'm there watching the second hand, just waiting to claim the victory. I would expect that they would do the same with me.
  10. Donationvaknso
    The Ambassador
    Charleston SC. USA
    Moves
    29 Jan '03 01:521 edit
    Originally posted by belgianfreak
    bump... I'd still like an answer

my opponent has again gone past his timeout. I'll give him a warning that next time I will get timed out because I am interested in keeping the tourney moving (noone mention the BIT 1300 group - it ...[text shortened]... we keep drawing).

Some clear ruling would be appreciated

Jon
    Jon,
    I am not speaking about the Red Hot Pawn tournaments here. In the B.I.T tourney, I have no problem with your repeated draws. Addressing the other issue I found your post in: In the B.I.T. (Baker Invitational Tournament) The players are not given the option to give their opponents more time. I or my Assistant can declare a timeout when a player has not made a move in the allotted time.All players in the B.I.T. who have won by timeout did not claim the timeout. I declared them. This removes any bad feeling they might have about winning by default.
    John
    Acting Td Baker Invitational Tournament (B.I.T.)
  11. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    29 Jan '03 10:47
    Originally posted by vaknso
    Jon,
    I am not speaking about the Red Hot Pawn tournaments here. In the B.I.T tourney, I have no problem with your repeated draws. Addressing the other issue I found your post in: In the B.I.T. (Baker Invitational Tournament) The players are not given the option to give their opponents more time. I or my Assistant can declare a timeout when a player has ...[text shortened]... hey might have about winning by default.
    John
    Acting Td Baker Invitational Tournament (B.I.T.)
    thanks John. I know what Rwinglett is saying, but I want to win tourneys (one day...) not just take them. This kind of ruleing for tourneys in general would be good (Criss, Russ.... any views?)
  12. Donationlegionnaire
    Free Thinker
    New York City
    Moves
    29 Jan '03 19:52
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    I don't know, but I guess you could test it out in one of your games.

Marc
    The person will receive the e-mail. I have notification turned off and I've gotten messages before.

-mike
  13. DonationChessNut
    Lightly Salted...
    Moves
    29 Jan '03 20:51
    I feel that the tourneys here should be played as if they are real tournaments. Part of playing in them is having the limited time for making a move. Since in real tourneys you cannot extend the time I feel that you shouldn't extend the time here. It's not a 'cheap' win and you shouldn't feel guilty about it. GM's lose games due to time trouble so why shouldn't we?

Also, it's not fair to other players who may be waiting to move into the next round which 'theoretically' would never start if just one player kept reminding his opponent to move for the next year.๐Ÿ™‚

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree