1. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    20 Jan '05 20:191 edit
    Its been done a couple of times in the past: a player contacts Russ and sponsors a tourney (e.g. Exy and the Twin Peaks tourney).

I'm thinking of something a tad different: the basic idea is a big tourney, none too fast, where all the participants pay to play (e.g. second sub amount): the cash, collected by Russ (whom we would have to trust in this regard), is then donated to the Tsunami appeal.

Two main reasons for the idea: reason one is simple; they need the money. Slighly longer term is reason two: people's memories are short. A tourney that is still going some two / three months later may be a reminder to us all that this disaster did not happen then disappear: it will continue to be a disaster of gigantic proportions for a very long time to come. Help wil be needed not just now but for a long time to come.

An idea only: lets see if it has legs.
  2. Joined
    05 Dec '04
    Moves
    21 Jan '05 00:02
    Originally posted by Toe
    Its been done a couple of times in the past: a player contacts Russ and sponsors a tourney (e.g. Exy and the Twin Peaks tourney).

I'm thinking of something a tad different: the basic idea is a big tourney, none too fast, where all the participants [b]pay to play
    (e.g. second sub amount): the cash, collected by Russ (whom we would have to trust in this re ...[text shortened]... il be needed not just now but for a long time to come.

An idea only: lets see if it has legs.[/b]
    First of all...I wouldn't want to pay just to raise my ranking. I've paid my $20. Second of all, there are plenty of trusted charitible organizations which you could donate to.
  3. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jan '05 14:34
    Originally posted by Toe

I'm thinking of something a tad different: the basic idea is a big tourney, none too fast, where all the participants [b]pay to play
    (e.g. second sub amount): the cash, collected by Russ (whom we would have to trust in this re ...[text shortened]... il be needed not just now but for a long time to come.

An idea only: lets see if it has legs.[/b]
    I sorta like the idea, my only problem with donating money for this disaster is where the money is really going. I do believe that for some of the big well known organizations a good amount of money simply goes into some rich guys pocket which is why I never make donations for this type of thing. Also money goes to scamming people who weren't affected and simply lie to get money. Looking at the WTC attacks many people got in trouble with the law after getting money they didn't really deserve, plus, while I understand things can be tough when you lose a husband, wife or child, people die, its a part of life. When my mother dies noone is going to give me money to help me because she's gone, so I really don't want to give my money when it happens to someone else. Furthermore, with as many homeless people we have here in the US I find it pretty stupid to be helping people in another country before we help our own people.
  4. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    21 Jan '05 14:492 edits
    Originally posted by TRACKHEAD21
    When my mother dies noone is going to give me money to help me because she's gone, so I really don't want to give my money when it happens to someone else. Furthermore, with as many homeless people we have here in the US I find it pretty ...[text shortened]... to be helping people in another country before we help our own people.
    First, when your mother dies that will probably not cause a wrecked home, wrecked office building and probably long-term unemployment, or severe injuries that will need treatment and a collapsed local economy. Second; in the Netherlands up here there are social facilities for homeless people to help them out with their biggest problem as feeding, basic hygiene and spending the night. In a country that considers itself as the greatest, best, most powerfull or wealthiest country, there must be some social facilities too for helping them out?? If so - besides addiction - most of them can / should be better off than most of the people that were struck by the tidal wave(s).

It think it is a nice thought organizing this tournament, but I think as others have mentioned it is at least just as wise donating to an trustworthy organisation.
  5. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jan '05 15:44
    Originally posted by Aiko
    First, when your mother dies that will probably not cause a wrecked home, wrecked office building and probably long-term unemployment, or severe injuries that will need treatment and a collapsed local economy. Second; in the Netherlands up here there are social facilities for homeless people to help them out with their biggest problem as feeding, basic hygiene ...[text shortened]... nk as others have mentioned it is at least just as wise donating to an trustworthy organisation.
    Acutally we really don't have anything like that. There are some but they are pretty crappy to the point that alot of homeless people are better off in jail than anywhere else, especially during the winter. As for the wrecked home office building and long term unemployment I believe that is a load of crap for lazy people just looking to get money so they don't have to do anything. My mother used to work in the World trade center, her building was the first one struck by a plane and the first to fall. Luckily she made it out of the building and a fireman helpped her through the dust clouds after the building came down. Her office was wrecked, hell the entire building was gone, but she didnt sit around whining about it and trying to get money. She was home for about 2 weeks, found a different job and now still works in NYC but closer to the empire state building whic is uptown from where the WTC was. This is why it pisses me off so much when people try to get money simply because they are too lazy to get off their ass and go on with their life. They would rather get hand outs. One other thing from the orginal post about remembering this tidal wave, what if we don't want to remember it what if victims don't want to remember it? September 11th 2001 was the worst day of my life, and a day I wish I could forget and I know my mother wishes she could forget it too. All these dummies who werent affected are so intent on remembering these tragedies and they forget about those affected and victims who don't want to hear about this crap for months or years to come. Why in the hell would I want to hear the reading of the names of 2000+ people who were killed, is that supposed to make me feel better, is remembering supposed to do something for someone??
  6. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    22 Jan '05 01:071 edit
    sorry to be brutal track, but while the USA (and your mom inparticular) did indeed suffer heavily on 9/11, you're story highlights exactly why rememberence is so important: you mom could go and get another job. In southern Shi Lanka that option is not there: everyone has lost X members of their family; there is no economy to return to as it has been utterly destroyed; the best they can hope for is not to avoid dysentry / cholera but rather to survive it: the USA was shocked by 9/11 but many parts of asia have been ruined by the tsunami. They are not equivalent events, despite the suffering in both. Without remberence on the part of the rich world, the suffering in the tsunami regions will be that much worse. I'm sure a cheque for $100 would have made little difference to your mom : in asia, it will keep a family from dying.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree