1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    18 Oct '06 15:25
    Originally posted by trevor33
    i agree, its not fair for the 1700-1800 players but now will playing in an unbanded tournament make it any better? you're still going to be coming up against the 1700+ players in the later rounds.

but there should be more unbanded tournament.
    I stand more chance in an open tournament than a 1700+ banded tournament. It doesn't take much imagination to realise why. 😉
  2. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 09:04
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I stand more chance in an open tournament than a 1700+ banded tournament. It doesn't take much imagination to realise why. 😉
    Touche

skeeter
  3. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 20:21
    Face the facts .

1. Russ and Chris have changed RHP to a banded-only tourney site.

2. If admin cared at all what subs think they would have at least replied to the numerous complaints from subs. These complaints have been going on for over a month with zero responses from Russ and Chris.

3. Russ has responded to several other posts during this same time frame.Those which are not complaints about his banded-only philosophy.

Conclusion:
    Russ and Chris do not care at all what the people who pay them think and/or want.
    Red Hot Pawn is clearly not the same site it was just a few months ago when it WAS one of the best on the web.

Suggestion:
    All future complaints should be directed to Helen Waite.
    If you have any complaints go to Helen Waite.

Angela
  4. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 20:57
    I just called a frienf who is an IT guy AND an actual chessplyer and asked what would be the logical reason for the situation here at RHP.

He suggested that perhaps admin is dealing with a bandwidth issue and admin is trying to keep the site from reaching the point where the purchase of more bandwidth would make the site not financially feasible.
    More activity requires more bandwidth.

Activity levels here have decreased lately.
    Less tourney activity and games lately.

But that is not a reason to treat customers shabbily.
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 22:42
    Originally posted by caissad4
    I just called a frienf who is an IT guy AND an actual chessplyer and asked what would be the logical reason for the situation here at RHP.

He suggested that perhaps admin is dealing with a bandwidth issue and admin is trying to keep the site from reaching the point where the purchase of more bandwidth would make the site not financially feasible.
    More a ...[text shortened]... Less tourney activity and games lately.

But that is not a reason to treat customers shabbily.
    If that is the case (and i'm not sure it is...) then it would be a bit short sighted. IMO, there is nothing more appealing about this site than the tournaments! When i first discovered this site i subscribed specifically to enter tournies. I had never played CC and didn't really have any desire to, but this format allows for involvement in organised chess, whether that is tournament or Clan. I believe any increase in bandwidth will be coupled with an increased subscriber base. If you assume that say, 20% of users are subscribers, then an increase in users is matched by an increase in subscribers... 😉
  6. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 23:001 edit
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    If that is the case (and i'm not sure it is...) then it would be a bit short sighted. IMO, there is nothing more appealing about this site than the tournaments! When i first discovered this site i subscribed specifically to enter tournies. I had never played CC and didn't really have any desire to, but this format allows for involvement in organis ...[text shortened]... sers are subscribers, then an increase in users is matched by an increase in subscribers... 😉
    I agree that tournaments are (or were) the best part of subscribing to RHP.
    My friend said that bandwidth increases in price differently as more is needed.
    I don't understand the technology of this.
    I was only trying to find some understandable logic to what is going on here.

Angela
  7. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 23:11
    I agree that tournaments are (or were) the best part of subscribing to RHP.
    My friend said that bandwidth increases in price differently as more is needed.
    I don't understand the technology of this.
    I was only trying to find some understandable logic to what is going on here.

Angela
    I sent Chris a message pointing him to this thread. I'm convinced it is something they are simply unaware of. They must have heaps a things to deal with like cheats, forum spammers, bugs, new user feedback, general junk mail. The forums are moderated by volunteers and i don't see either of them post much in the forums. I figure they simply don't read them any more... 😉
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Oct '06 19:29
    and the four new unbanded tournaments fill up in a few hours, what a shock.
  9. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    21 Oct '06 08:56
    Originally posted by trevor33
    and the four new unbanded tournaments fill up in a few hours, what a shock.
    Yes, Chris replied to me saying heàd set these up. I missed them too, i just sent him a "same again please"...😉
  10. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    21 Oct '06 13:27
    Face the facts .

1. Russ and Chris have changed RHP to a banded-only tourney site.

2. If admin cared at all what subs think they would have at least replied to the numerous complaints from subs. These complaints have been going on for over a month with zero responses from Russ and Chris.

3. Russ has responded to several other posts during this same ...[text shortened]... ints should be directed to Helen Waite.
    If you have any complaints go to Helen Waite.

Angela
    1. Not so, there are still unbandeds, just now many.

2. Just because subs pay doesn't mean they can dictate what type of tourneys are run.

3. So what, this is a hobby site and not one that generates a massive amount of income.

At roughly £20 per year and even with 3,000 subs that is only £60,000 per year. Knock off annual operating costs, tax, etc and I bet they are not making much for their time and effort.

If the site has gone so downhill so much why not start one of your own, only offering unbanded tournaments? You can then see just how much fun it is and just how much work is involved in running one.

Rather than crucify them, just imagine what would happen if they woke up one morning and said Bugger, I have had enough of this, lets pull the plug and shut the site down, lets give all the moaning btards something to moan about but nowhere to do it

It could happen....
  11. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    21 Oct '06 15:30
    Originally posted by adramforall
    1. Not so, there are still unbandeds, just now many.

2. Just because subs pay doesn't mean they can dictate what type of tourneys are run.

3. So what, this is a hobby site and not one that generates a massive amount of income.

At roughly £20 per year and even with 3,000 subs that is only £60,000 per year. Knock off annual operating co ...[text shortened]... ll the moaning btards something to moan about but nowhere to do it

It could happen....[/b]
    1. Unbandeds probably happen to be the single best feature of the site. Apparently a lot of people agree since the ones that opened yesterday were full in just a couple of hours. So shouldn't there be more then 1 every 4 pages of tourneys?

2. We should have a say at least. Or at least a quicker response to our requests, positive or negative.

60,000 a year doesn't seem bad. Even after taxes and operating costs, it's not bad for not being a full time job (to the best of my knowledge this site isn't full time). Don't forget about ad revenue either.

Where did you get the idea that we hate banded tourneys? We hate that that's all that was being created. Banded tournaments are great, especially for lower levels. Many people have offered to help in setting up tournaments, by way of moderators, but so far we haven't gotten much feedback.

I'm pretty sure caissad has run tournaments before. Except those were actually tournaments, you know, physical pieces and what not?

If they do shut it down, it's their own loss. They'd have wasted nearly 6 years of their lives and given up a growing amount of subscribers.
  12. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    21 Oct '06 20:281 edit
    [i]Originally posted by GalaxyShield[/i

I'm pretty sure caissad has run tournaments before. Except those were actually tournaments, you know, physical pieces and what not?

Indeed I have run many tournaments.
    Sixteen years as president of the San Antonio Chess Club.
    Three years as president of the Texas Chess Assoc.
    In 1992 and 1993 I was the chief organizer of the US Blind Chess here in San Antonio.

Angela

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree