1. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jan '05 05:21
    Originally posted by mateulose
    Guys, what can we honestly do about it? If Dustin and Track want to join 1300 rated tournies by plunging their ratings, who's to stop them? It's not illegal, and there's technicly nothing that can be done. Yes, most OTB chess players have a sense of honor and will not purposely lose games so they can win a few 100 easy bucks in an under 1500 rated tourn ...[text shortened]... it's worse right here, ppl doing anything to "win", even if there is no prize money involved.
    Please don't join conversations that you know nothing about. No one has been plunging theeir rating to enter low tournaments. Dustn's rating is usually up and down plus he was gone for a bit and got timed out and I was gone for about 2 months and got timed out. So please go talk about something that you know about instead of making a fool of yourself here.
  2. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jan '05 05:25
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Russ is not stalling,is you who are wrong.
    Russ said that the introduction of the cheat police would be sometime at the start of 2005 and we are only in the first day of 2005,give him the time to make things well and fair.
    I know I kno Ravello. just me wishing it was done already and started. Getting pissed with that jack ass and lashed out at Russ and even metallica(which has some nice people as members but a dumb ass for a leader). I know he's made progress and that things will get going soon hopefully.
  3. Copenhagen
    Moves
    07 Jan '05 21:30
    Originally posted by TRACKHEAD21
    Please don't join conversations that you know nothing about. No one has been plunging theeir rating to enter low tournaments. Dustn's rating is usually up and down plus he was gone for a bit and got timed out and I was gone for about 2 months and got timed out. So please go talk about something that you know about instead of making a fool of yourself here.
    I think the key point is that people think you are violating the honorable in the banded system by joining a tournament reserved for players between 1200-1399, when your actual rating is 2200+. You are not doing anything illegal, but it is not in the intended spirit of the banded tournament idea. Or have I got it all wrong?
  4. Gloucestershire , UK
    Moves
    07 Jan '05 23:23
    The banded tournaments are there for a reason, they give people who don't have a 2000+ rating a chance to win a tournament which will be (win or lose) both competitive and rewarding. Surely if you know your rating to be higher than it is at a certain time (due to timeouts, absence, whatever) then you should participate in a random tournament or wait for a higher banded tournament to open.

You can't possibly gain anything from entering or participating in this way, maybe the last 30 days rating as a prerequisite should be changed to an average rating prerequisite
  5. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    08 Jan '05 01:49
    An average rating (over a long term) seems like a very good (or at least a better) idea to qualify for entering a tournaments.
  6. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    08 Jan '05 01:54
    Originally posted by Aiko
    An average rating (over a long term) seems like a very good (or at least a better) idea to qualify for entering a tournaments.
    this will not work.
    dusnrogers has a low longterm rating ... he has lost more games than he has won!
    sometimes he gets it together to win a whole heap in a row.

i think our present method is pretty good , but not perfect.

a minor improvement would be to only allow players with a stable rating can play in banded tournaments.
  7. Gloucestershire , UK
    Moves
    08 Jan '05 08:374 edits
    Originally posted by flexmore
    this will not work.
    dusnrogers has a low longterm rating ... he has lost more games than he has won!
    sometimes he gets it together to win a whole heap in a row.

i think our present method is pretty good , but not perfect.

a minor i ...[text shortened]... low players with a stable rating can play in banded tournaments.
    i agree this would not work in every case, however the average does not have to necessarily be a mean, they are other statistical methods for finding an average

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree