Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Tournaments Forum

Tournaments Forum

  1. 01 Jul '04 19:23
    Could someone please explaing the various tournament formats, or
    tell me where on this site I can find this info? It was not under Help->Tournaments. In some cases I can figure it out, in others I need more information.

    In particular, it would be useful to know how many games I am committing to when I sign up for a tournament. I recently signed up for a ig timebank challenge and wound up with 30 new games. I thought this meant big timebank, not a large number of games. I have since figured out that group size means number of players I play against.

    I suspect that there are both meaningful names as well as names that are simply used to identify a tournament. How can I tell these apart?

    What is a gamma(delta,etc)-banded 4x4 tournament,
    Grand Split Three Seven V,
    etc.?

    Thanks
  2. Standard member skeeter
    515 + 30 days
    01 Jul '04 21:09
    Originally posted by zucchini
    Could someone please explaing the various tournament formats, or
    tell me where on this site I can find this info? It was not under Help->Tournaments. In some cases I can figure it out, in others I need more information.

    In particular, it would be useful to know how many games I am committing to when I sign up for a tournament. I recently signed up ...[text shortened]... t is a gamma(delta,etc)-banded 4x4 tournament,
    Grand Split Three Seven V,
    etc.?

    Thanks
    Ok, good question and its not all that clear. The hard and fast rule is to always check the group size before entering. Double the group size number (you will play with both colours) subtract two ( you cannot play yourself twice) and that will be the number of games you can expect tp play in that round.

    Generally speaking duel means one-on-one (4 games), grouped can be from 3-8, grandis all-vs-all. A bandedtourney indicates that it is restricted to a certain rating group.splitmeans that the tourney is in two large groups(usually 15) and the other numbers are usually the time controls.
    So a grand split one fourteen is two groups of 15 with a one day time-out with 14 day time bank, and if you enter you will play 28 similtanious games in your first round. Phew. Hope I got all that right.

    BR's skeeter

  3. 01 Jul '04 22:46 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Ok, good question and its not all that clear. The hard and fast rule is to [b]always check the group size before entering. Double the group size number (you will play with both colours) subtract two ( you cannot play yours ...[text shortened]... round. Phew. Hope I got all that right.

    BR's skeeter

    [/b]
    Almost Skeet, very nice of you to explain it to this new player, but a one-on-one tournament will get you 2 games per round. I think it's correctly explained for the rest.

    O.
  4. 01 Jul '04 23:33
    Thanks for the help.
    I am still unclear on 3x3, and 4x4.

    I just entered a banded 4x4. I notice the group size is 4 and there are 32 players. The 3x3 has 9 players.

    I am guessing that this refers to the play structure until the number of players reaches too small a number. So that a 3x3 with 9 players implies a two round tournament, and a 4x4 with 16 players is two rounds, and 4x4 with 32 players is three rounds.

    Does this seem right?

    Also, it would be helpful to have this info on the help pages. How should I best request this be added?
  5. Standard member skeeter
    515 + 30 days
    02 Jul '04 00:11
    Originally posted by zucchini
    Thanks for the help.
    I am still unclear on 3x3, and 4x4.

    I just entered a banded 4x4. I notice the group size is 4 and there are 32 players. The 3x3 has 9 players.

    I am guessing that this refers to the play structure until the number of players reaches too small a number. So that a 3x3 with 9 players implies a two round tournament, and a 4x4 with ...[text shortened]... would be helpful to have this info on the help pages. How should I best request this be added?
    The group size is the indicator. Group size 4 = six concurrent games in that round. Group size 3 = 4 games. 4x4 means 4 groups of 4 , 3x3 means 3 groups of 3 etc.

    And Olav is correct, in a duel you play 2 games in each round.

    skeeter
  6. Standard member Rootie
    umm...
    28 Jul '04 22:32

    Also, it would be helpful to have this info on the help pages. How should I best request this be added?[/b]
    I'll second this... I just signed up for a tournament coz I thought it'd be fun but now I'm scared!!!