What do they mean??????

What do they mean??????

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hollywood, Fl. 33020

Moves
28 May 10

Will someone explain, or tell me where I can look up the meanings of all the different typpes of tournaments? I only enter the ones in my skill range but would like to know the different set ups and meanings of the names of the tournaments so I can apear smarter than I really am at this point!!!😀🙄😳 Babadad (thanks)

Eddie's Dad

Raving Mad

Moves
28 May 10

Originally posted by babadad
Will someone explain, or tell me where I can look up the meanings of all the different typpes of tournaments? I only enter the ones in my skill range but would like to know the different set ups and meanings of the names of the tournaments so I can apear smarter than I really am at this point!!!😀🙄😳 Babadad (thanks)
There's a section on Tournaments in the Help menu that spells some of it out.

The details of the tournament are pretty self-explanatory. When you click on the link for the tournament, look in the upper left hand corner to see the details. This will tell you time controls and group size. Sprints have short time controls and longhauls have very long time controls.

As far as group size is concerned, smallest is a duel, which means you only have to get by one person to get to round 2 and so on. Sometimes, if there are ties, you'll get 3 people in a later round of a duel. Then there are threesomes, quartets, octets, and then larger groups on up.

Then there are thematic tournaments, which are based on specific openings and these can have different time controls and group sizes, too.

Hope that helps. If you have other questions, post here or in the Help forum.

Have a great day,
Steve