1. DonationAnthem
    The Ferocious Camel
    g1
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 02:09
    In October I entered Tournament 10565 a 1450-1500 banded, thinking that this was around my true rating, as I was upper 1500's when I played here appx. 5 years ago, and I hadn't played much at all in the interim.

Now I'm in the 1700's and I think its a bit unfair to my opponents to have to face someone rated more than 200 pts above the ceiling.

Should I quit the tournament? If so, how do I do that?
  2. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 02:21
    Originally posted by Anthem
    In October I entered Tournament 10565 a 1450-1500 banded, thinking that this was around my true rating, as I was upper 1500's when I played here appx. 5 years ago, and I hadn't played much at all in the interim.

Now I'm in the 1700's and I think its a bit unfair to my opponents to have to face someone rated more than 200 pts above the ceiling.

Should I quit the tournament? If so, how do I do that?
    When you entered you were at the right rating. People improve and if you quit now you will have deprived your prior opponents from the opportunity to progress. m

To quit, you will have to wait until the next round starts and then resign the games allocated.

I'd be more concerned about the rapid rise in your rating and what it says! 4 years on the site and a mid 1500 player. 4 years away and within 4 months of coming back you are already hitting the 1700's.

😉
  3. DonationAnthem
    The Ferocious Camel
    g1
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 22:04
    hmm, good points. I guess I'll message my opponents when the next round starts and see what they think.

as for my ratings increase, I wonder if there's been rating inflation here over the last few years.
  4. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    13 Jan '11 02:25
    I wonder if there's been rating inflation here over the last few years.
    If there was myself and many others missed the boat 😛
  5. Joined
    18 Mar '08
    Moves
    15 Jan '11 12:34
    Quitting = resigning = artificially keeping the rating low = nothing solved 😉
  6. Standard membernonnymoose
    Average Guy
    Chicago, IL
    Moves
    13 Feb '11 14:24
    Originally posted by BartVH
    Quitting = resigning = artificially keeping the rating low = nothing solved 😉
    He didn't improve over the course of the tournament. He's a player that is some 300pts higher than the banded tourney he joined. Winning the tournament is no victory, it's like taking candy from children.

The reason we have banded tournaments is to allow players of like skill to be able to have tournaments against their peers. By joining such a tournament and being so clearly and obviously a superior player, you rob the truly rated players of their opportunity to play against each other for a title.

It's a dual tournament so you are only resigning 2 games which will neither overly inflate your 1 opponent nor unduly trash your own rating.

Play on and you'll surely win, but the victory is hollow. There's no doubt that a 1700 player should handily win a tournament against 1350 rated players.

Yes, I happen to be this persons' current opponent. And this is the SECOND such tournament I find myself up against this clearly superior opponent. If I wanted to play people that far above me, I can join open tournaments. When I play banded tourney's it's my desire to play my peers. I already KNOW that folks rated 300 and more above me can trounce me -- that's what RATINGS tell you.

I'll never understand what motivates folks to join banded tournaments far below their skill. Winning such a tournament is no victory. It'd be like me (6'2"😉 going back to grade school and winning a basketball tournament against 4th graders. What possible joy could I get from that?

Nonny
  7. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    13 Feb '11 15:40
    Originally posted by nonnymoose
    He didn't improve over the course of the tournament. He's a player that is some 300pts higher than the banded tourney he joined. Winning the tournament is no victory, it's like taking candy from children.

The reason we have banded tournaments is to allow players of like skill to be able to have tournaments against their peers. By joining such a tou ...[text shortened]... tournament against 4th graders. What possible joy could I get from that?

Nonny
    The player in question had a maximum rating of 1595 prior to joining the 1450-1500 banded tournament. For the period from when they joined the site in 2002 till they left in February 2006 their average rating was probably around 1400 or so. It is only since December 2010 that their rating has started rising to be significantly above the threshold, which suggests to me a game improvement (natural or otherwise).

I do not believe the player entered a tournament significantly below their ability based on their prior games history.
  8. DonationAnthem
    The Ferocious Camel
    g1
    Moves
    13 Feb '11 15:52
    Originally posted by nonnymoose

The reason we have banded tournaments is to allow players of like skill to be able to have tournaments against their peers. By joining such a tou ...[text shortened]... tournament against 4th graders. What possible joy could I get from that?

Nonny
    I think that you have me confused with someone else. I'm the player in question, but i've never played you, nor is the tournament a dual.

Also, for others, I believe that if i resign before I move, then I lose no rating points. Even if I did, I wouldn't join another tourney with bands set lower than 1600. I want to play challenging opponents, not beat up on people who don't have much of a chance.
  9. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    13 Feb '11 17:43
    I think that you have me confused with someone else. I'm the player in question, but i've never played you, nor is the tournament a dual.

Also, for others, I believe that if i resign before I move, then I lose no rating points. Even if I did, I wouldn't join another tourney with bands set lower than 1600. I want to play challenging opponents, not beat up on people who don't have much of a chance.
    Rechecked and I think nonny is talking about Tournament 8517
  10. SubscriberHelder Octavio Borges
    Luso-brasileiro
    Cajamar, SP
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 01:01
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Rechecked and I think nonny is talking about Tournament 8517
    Exactly.
  11. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 23:26
    Originally posted by Helder Octavio
    Exactly.
    I guess you're the one trying to be "king of the kiddies" here. Pity.
  12. SubscriberHelder Octavio Borges
    Luso-brasileiro
    Cajamar, SP
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 01:17
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I guess you're the one trying to be "king of the kiddies" here. Pity.
    adramforall summed up all the situations in your first answer. I don't need to respond again. If the rating of the opponents goes up, the others should study more to overcome him.

Examples:
    Game 4738680;
    Game 4738681.

Anthem will resign his games. He has his reasons. I will not resign mine, and I have my reasons. And I don't care if someone disagree with my position.
  13. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 21:44
    Originally posted by Helder Octavio
    adramforall summed up all the situations in your first answer. I don't need to respond again. If the rating of the opponents goes up, the others should study more to overcome him.

Examples:
    Game 4738680;
    Game 4738681.

Anthem will resign his games. He has his reasons. [b]I will not resign mine, and I have my reasons.
    And I don't care if someone disagree with my position.[/b]
    What reasons can you possible have to win tournaments way below your actual skill?
  14. Standard membernonnymoose
    Average Guy
    Chicago, IL
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 00:21
    I think that you have me confused with someone else.
    You are correct, my apologies. I'm playing another high rated player trolling for victories in low rated banded tournaments. He sent me a message referring to this thread. I thought it was because HE was wondering what he should do.

Here is Helder Octavio's history:

Achieve 1700 rating Jan 2005
    Was 1700 July 2008
    Then his rating dives, looks like he stopped playing.
    His rating falls to 980 May 2009
    He joins tournament Oct 2009 that is BANDED for 1400-1450 players

I'm sure his victory in this low rated tournament is going to be a very proud moment for his Clan, the Portugeese Speaker's.

Nonny
  15. Standard membernonnymoose
    Average Guy
    Chicago, IL
    Moves
    21 Feb '11 00:27
    If the rating of the opponents goes up, the others should study more to overcome him.
    Dude -- you joined a BANDED tournament. You had achieved a 300 pt superiority 4 years before the tournament began. You did not improve over the course of the tournament. You simply dropped all your games such that your rating plummeted to 980. Then you decided to play again and joined a BANDED tournament against players that aren't in your league.

The purpose of having BANDED tournaments is so players of LIKE SKILL can play against each other. We already know that an 1800 rated player has no problem beating 1400 rated players.

If I wanted to play 400 points above my level, I join open tournaments, or Clan leagues. And I do those things as well. But when I join a BANDED tournament, I'm choosing to play against folks at my level.

You are making your fellow Portugeese Speaker's clan members so proud with your victory in a tournament wherein you are the ONLY player in your class and all the others are more than 300pts below.

And here I thought your culture was macho, guess I was wrong about that.

Nonny

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree