1. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    03 May '05 10:332 edits
    Originally posted by neight
    Let me preface this by saying that I don't want to begin any arguments about whether or not players should withdraw from banded tournaments when their ratings are much higher than the original band.

That said, it would be nice if there w ...[text shortened]... e posted or cross-posted in site ideas? I'll let a mod decide...)
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/tournament/view.php?tid=78

well done colleman!
    of course you would have easily won,
    your withdrawl leaves only mid rated players ...
    this is the tournamnent it was meant to be.
    well done ...
    from'a mid rated player' 🙂

ps i am in a tournament called: Nu Banded 4x4 1400-1599
    i do feel this is my band when i play fast and casually .
    but i am rated 130 points too high now, because i have been playing more slowly.
    i am considering resigning games here.
    i am unsure : any thoughts?

pps to win the tournament i must beat DeepThought: Game 872224
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    18 May '05 14:152 edits
    Originally posted by flexmore
    And GalaxyShield provided he wins his remaining games. Tournament 420
    Edit - it'd be nice if that made a link to the tournament page like with game IDs.
  3. Standard memberFat mans revenge
    Pennywise Says Hi
    Up from mainstream
    Moves
    30 May '05 00:41
    I'm thinking that if we put a small limitation on this, it would help substantially in an effort to remove blatantly better players, while still leaving room for the improving players to finish a tournament.

The idea is to have a set amount of rating points above the cap before they are removed from the tournament. I think 100 or so points above after the first round, 200 or so after the second round, and no one removed after that. For example, an 1150 player enters a 1000-1199 banded tournament, and wins enough games to move to the next round. At the start of the next round, he has a 1278 rating. This falls under the 100 point cap, and he can continue. He is now playing the best chess of his life, and he moves to the third round. He has a 1391 rating and is allowed to continue until the tournament is over. This also stops that 1500 player who just got timed out a lot to enter the tournament, win every game, along with a few games outside the tournament, and go into the second round with a 1400 rating.

-Fatty
  4. Standard memberjfkjmh
    nice one
    bed, chair or floor
    Moves
    30 May '05 10:15
    Originally posted by flexmore
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/tournament/view.php?tid=78

well done colleman!
    of course you would have easily won,
    your withdrawl leaves only mid rated players ...
    this is the tournamnent it was meant to be.
    well done ...
    from'a mid rated player' 🙂

ps i am in a tournament called: Nu Banded 4x4 1400-1599
    i do feel this is my band when i play fast ...[text shortened]... m unsure : any thoughts?

Good to see that there are noble people arond
    But if a player resigns all games against opponents with a lower rating after the first 2 moves then the players rating goes down a lot. Then you are underrated again and that punishes your future opponents

So as long as there is no change by the administrastion here's my future advice:
    Tell your opponents that the tournament is not that fair with you participating and offer a draw to every opponent. If they don't agree it's their problem and if they take it it's fair to them and not too unfair to your future opponents.
  5. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 15:23
    Originally posted by neight
    My point was not to forcibly remove players from banded tournaments! I was hoping for a graceful way for a WILLING player to withdraw from a tournament, and allow someone else (the next-highest scorer) to advance in their place.
    I agree completely. I entered a rating tournament shortly after joining this site just to get some games under my belt. I am now well over 400 points higher than the upper limit and am currently playing round 2. I am going to win my group, but I have no interest in going any further and would like to withdraw willingly. The other option of simply resigning all my games in the next round on the first move doesn't appeal to me. It seems unfair to deprive people of games they want to play. Far better to allow the second placed player in my group to go forward.
  6. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 18:27
    Originally posted by Northern Lad
    I agree completely. I entered a rating tournament shortly after joining this site just to get some games under my belt. I am now well over 400 points higher than the upper limit and am currently playing round 2. I am going to win my group, but I have no interest in going any further and would like to withdraw willingly. The other option of simply resign ...[text shortened]... games they want to play. Far better to allow the second placed player in my group to go forward.
    My thoughts are that if the game system doesn't force it, then you're the human agent and you've got the choice of action. Difficult, I know, but the choice is yours ..

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree