1. Standard memberneight
    Cheese log/Beef log
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 14:561 edit
    Let me preface this by saying that I don't want to begin any arguments about whether or not players should withdraw from banded tournaments when their ratings are much higher than the original band.

That said, it would be nice if there was a mechanism for withdrawing from a tournament. By this I mean, all games in the current round would be completed as normal, but you would not advance if you are the highest scoring playing in your group, rather, the next-highest scoring player(s) would advance.

Barring that possibility, does Russ have the capability to manually withdraw a (willing) player from a tournament in the above-described manner?

(Perhaps this should be posted or cross-posted in site ideas? I'll let a mod decide...)
  2. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 20:44
    I'm not sure if it's possible to be withdrawn from a tourney. If not, if you don't want to play in a banded if you're going to have a clear advantage over the other players who probably won't have a chance, you can resign in the first 2 moves and you won't lose rating points. I would ask Russ first in a PM if he doesn't see this to see if a player can be withdrawn.

Josh
  3. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 21:55
    Originally posted by neight
    Let me preface this by saying that I don't want to begin any arguments about whether or not players should withdraw from banded tournaments when their ratings are much higher than the original band.

That said, it would be nice if there was a mechanism for withdrawing from a tournament. By this I mean, all games in the current round would be completed as n ...[text shortened]... ner?

(Perhaps this should be posted or cross-posted in site ideas? I'll let a mod decide...)
    This is the Gameknot tournament system and I think it's pure crap.

Let's make an example: on GK there are monthly tournaments with three band for players:0-1299,1300-1799(I guess it's 1799) and 1800 and above.
    You enter the 0-1299 banded tourny,you win the first round and you reach,let's say 1330 rating.

Now,because you passed the rating limit,you will be put in the next band of tournament,the 1300-1799.

Isn't it a crappy system?
  4. Joined
    19 Oct '03
    Moves
    23 Mar '05 05:01
    yes!!! because they are basically penalizing you for doing well in a tourney...which is why i still dont like the 30 day rule...i think it should be closer to 10 or 15 days...o well😴
  5. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    23 Mar '05 08:151 edit
    given that a banded tourney is for players truly of that rating standard ... maybe the winner of the group should be the person with the closest to the middle of the group score ... not the most obviously out of place higher rated player.

if a player is winning some, losing some and drawing some ... then they are the true winner in a banded tourney, and most deserve to face similar players from other groups in the next round.

they are also most wanted as opponents by other players in the next round.
  6. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    23 Mar '05 13:181 edit
    Originally posted by neight

That said, it would be nice if there w ...[text shortened]... e posted or cross-posted in site ideas? I'll let a mod decide...)
    The problem is that tournaments can take a long time to finish. And that players tend to get better over that same time period.

Ex: I am in round #7 of two (2) tournaments that had a rating limit when they started. (1299 limit) IIRC. Well I am above that limit now, have been for some time. Should I be "removed" from a tournament that started over a year ago? Just because I have gotten better since it began?

Incidently my opponents in the final are people that are very near my rating (actually I am the lowest rated in one)... So I think the system works well, The best players made it to the "Final Round", I guess all of use players improved at approximately the same rate.

I definitely don't think players should be "removed" just because they have improved.

--tmetzler
  7. Standard memberneight
    Cheese log/Beef log
    Moves
    23 Mar '05 14:13
    My point was not to forcibly remove players from banded tournaments! I was hoping for a graceful way for a WILLING player to withdraw from a tournament, and allow someone else (the next-highest scorer) to advance in their place.
  8. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    04 Apr '05 21:033 edits
    Its a very tricky subject this because the tournaments take so long, especially the head to head ones, it's a bit unfair to suggest that players should withdraw because they have improved. Yes I know that this was not the suggestion, but I have felt quite guilty at times playing much lower rated players, but 2 points: I have actually lost to a player in a tournament rated about 300 points below me and secondly I have also played players rated much higher than me (and just got on with it).
  9. Standard memberxs
    Incroyant
    tinyurl.com/ksdwu
    Moves
    17 Apr '05 16:11
    One answer might be to decrease the size of the band, ie... instead of 1200-1299, maybe 1200-1249 starting out with only a 50 point spread. Also smaller groups could produce round winners with similar ratings.

Still the top raters in any band will exceed the original upper limit just by winning games.
  10. UK
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 18:11
    I'm relishing the start of Beta Banded 8x8 1000-1199 and my rating has slipped to 951 since entering.
    I'm not at all fazed by the fact that at 1246, the top-rated entrant is 295 above me.
    He has much more to lose than I do.
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 20:07
    Originally posted by xs
    One answer might be to decrease the size of the band, ie... instead of 1200-1299, maybe 1200-1249 starting out with only a 50 point spread. Also smaller groups could produce round winners with similar ratings.

Still the top raters in any band will exceed the original upper limit just by winning games.
    A complete coincidence - I had not read this post when I just created a mass of small tournaments with 50 points bands earlier this evening.

But the groups are small, so be quick if you want a place.

-Russ

12. Joined
    05 Dec '04
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 20:11
    Originally posted by Russ
    A complete coincidence - I had not read this post when I just created a mass of small tournaments with 50 points bands earlier this evening.

But the groups are small, so be quick if you want a place.

-Russ

Yes, but you need to add one more in 1950-1999 Range 😉
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 20:16
    I will add more, but I don't want to push the others off the bottom of the page.

Hopefully the lower rated tournaments will fill quickly so this should not take too long.

-Russ
  14. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 20:28
    Hey, that's great!
    I really, really would like to see tournaments like this one periodically in the future, Russ.
  15. Joined
    05 Dec '04
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 22:01
    Originally posted by Russ
    I will add more, but I don't want to push the others off the bottom of the page.

Hopefully the lower rated tournaments will fill quickly so this should not take too long.

-Russ
    Thanks, Russ. It's a good idea too because I never look at the 2nd page anyway and don't know how much people do 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree