BattleTech

BattleTech

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
27 Jan 12
3 edits

Because the enemy is far away it is impossible to get out of the arc of fire. Intead the Clint takes a few steps to the southwest so he can use the building for partial cover and prepares to take aim.

The SRM2 truck drives up to the ridge of the wall and then up on top of the western pillar flanking the north gate. It's 4 hexes from the Wasp facing northeast. Since it lacks a turret and the Wasp is sheltered by the east pillar it may not have a shot.

The helicopter flies right up to forkedknight's Wasp and points the machine gun at it point blank!

It is now the players' turn to fire.

Forkedknight can shoot any of the hostile forces with his Medium Laser. All shots are fairly difficult with the Harasser being the least difficult shot, the SRM2 truck the hardest shot and the other targets in between. His short range weapons can only hit the helicopter (a hard shot) or with tremendous luck maybe the Harasser hovercraft.

The Clint's AC2's have a difficult shot at the LRM Carrier (Laser) or the Toro, a more difficult shot at the SRM2 truck and an even harder shot at the helicopter. The hovercraft is blocked from his view.

The Icarus' Large Laser has a fairly difficult shot at all of the enemies. The SRM2 truck would be the hardest to hit. The hovercraft is blocked from his view as well.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
27 Jan 12
1 edit

Tomtom's Icarus will shoot first since his preferred target is just as hard to hit as any other. He aims his Large Laser rifle at the LRM Carrier (Laser) and ZAPs! None of his other weapons are in range.

The Harasser hovercraft turns it's pair of SRM6's at forkedknight's Wasp and launches 12 rockets!

The Clint also finds that the LRM Carrier (Laser) is the easiest target and fires off a burst from each of his two autocannons.

The Toro battlemech turns and fires it's weapons at the Wasp and the LRM Carrier (Laser) sends a pair of laser beams at the Clint.

Who will the Wasp shoot and with which weapons? The helicopter is the most likely target for small lasers and flamethrower, but who gets the Medium Laser? The easiest target - the hovercraft - or the LRM Carrier (Laser)?

f
Defend the Universe

Moves
27 Jan 12

Well, this those rockets coming at me don't sound fun, but the the SRM6 is second priority for now.

Fire the medium laser at the LRM carrier and the rest of my weapons at the chopper.

I just hope I'm still standing next turn...

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
27 Jan 12

Weapons fire for Icarus ICR-1X (PTIG)
Large Laser at LRM Carrier (Laser) (Bandits); needs 9, rolls 9 : hits FR
LRM Carrier (Laser) (Bandits) takes 8 damage to FR. 10 Armor remaining.
Critical hit on movement system. Roll is 9; (w/ +0 bonus)
Moderate damage, +2 to driving skill rolls, -1 MP.

Weapons fire for Harasser Missile Platform (Bandits)
SRM 6 at Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG); needs 7, rolls 9 : 3 missile(s) hit.
Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG) takes 2 damage to HD. 2 Armor remaining.
Pilot of Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG) "Unnamed" takes 1 damage.
Pilot of Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG) "Unnamed" needs a 3 to stay conscious. Rolls 11 : successful!

Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG) takes 2 damage to LA. 2 Armor remaining.
Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG) takes 2 damage to RL. 3 Armor remaining.
SRM 6 at Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG); needs 7, rolls 7 : 6 missile(s) hit.
Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG) takes 2 damage to HD. 0 Armor remaining.
Pilot of Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG) "Unnamed" takes 1 damage.
Pilot of Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG) "Unnamed" needs a 5 to stay conscious. Rolls 9 : successful!

Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG) takes 2 damage to RA. 2 Armor remaining.
Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG) takes 2 damage to LA. 0 Armor remaining.
Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG) takes 2 damage to CT. 4 Armor remaining.
Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG) takes 2 damage to CT. 2 Armor remaining.
Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG) takes 2 damage to RL. 1 Armor remaining.

Weapons fire for Clint CLNT-2-4T (PTIG)
Autocannon/2 at LRM Carrier (Laser) (Bandits); needs 8, rolls 6 : misses.
Autocannon/2 at LRM Carrier (Laser) (Bandits); needs 8, rolls 4 : misses.

Weapons fire for Toro TR-A-1 (Bandits)
Large Laser at Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG); needs 8, rolls 10 : hits RA
Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG) takes 8 damage to RA. Armor destroyed, <<<SECTION DESTROYED>>>,
3 damage transfers to RT.
Critical hit on RA. Roll is 12;<<<LIMB BLOWN OFF>>> Right Arm blown off.
Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG) takes 3 damage to RT. 3 Armor remaining.
SRM 2 at Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG); needs 10, rolls 10 : 2 missile(s) hit.
Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG) takes 2 damage to CT. 0 Armor remaining.
Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG) takes 2 damage to RL. Armor destroyed, 3 Internal Structure remaining
Critical hit on RL. Roll is 8; 1 location.
<<<CRITICAL HIT>>> on Foot.
SRM 2 at Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG); needs 10, rolls 6 : misses.

Weapons fire for LRM Carrier (Laser) (Bandits)
Large Laser at Clint CLNT-2-4T (PTIG); needs 10, rolls 10 : hits RA
Clint CLNT-2-4T (PTIG) takes 8 damage to RA. Armor destroyed, 4 Internal Structure remaining
Critical hit on RA. Roll is 8; 1 location.
<<<CRITICAL HIT>>> on Upper Arm.
Large Laser at Clint CLNT-2-4T (PTIG); needs 10, rolls 7 : misses.

Weapons fire for Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG)
Medium Laser at LRM Carrier (Laser) (Bandits); needs 9, rolls 6 : misses.
Small Laser at Ferret Light Scout VTOL Armor (Bandits); needs 10, rolls 8 : misses.
Small Laser at Ferret Light Scout VTOL Armor (Bandits); needs 10, rolls 9 : misses.
Flamer at Ferret Light Scout VTOL Armor (Bandits); needs 10, rolls 3 : misses.

Weapons fire for Ferret Light Scout VTOL Armor (Bandits)
Machine Gun at Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG); needs 7, rolls 9 : hits LT
Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG) takes 2 damage to LT. 4 Armor remaining.

Wasp WSP-1D (PTIG) must make 2 piloting skill roll(s) (leg/foot actuator hit; 20+ damage).
The base target is 5 [5 (Base piloting skill)].
Roll #1, (5 (Base piloting skill) + 1 (leg/foot actuator hit) + 1 (20+ damage)); needs 7, rolls 8 : succeeds.
Roll #2, (5 (Base piloting skill) + 1 (20+ damage) + 1 (leg/foot actuator hit)); needs 7, rolls 11 : succeeds.

Art, not a Toil

60.13N / 25.01E

Moves
27 Jan 12
1 edit

Not good.. heaps of incoming, and not enough damage dished out. I hoped the targeting computer of the Clint would be as good as that of the Flea.. fortunately our Wasp has an excellent mech pilot.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
27 Jan 12
6 edits

Tomtom232's laser hits the LRM Carrier (Laser) in the front damaging the steering mechanism.

The Toro fires it's laser at forkedknight and blows his right arm off! Meanwhile he is hit with short range missiles, one of which damages his 'Mech's foot, others hammering the 'Mech's head!

The LRM Carrier (Laser) hits the Clint in the upper arm with one of it's lasers, damaging the arm actuator ("bicep" )!

The Wasp fires and misses with all weapons! The Clint misses too!

The helicopter chips away at the Wasp's left torso armor with it's MG!

The Wasp is about to fall over, but forkedknight keeps it standing! It has a chance to try to kick the helicopter but the odds aren't good and the Wasp would likely fall down if he missed.

Not a good situation!

The Captain radios in:

"What the Hell just happened! You may need to retreat! We can try to take it back later...don't get yourselves killed!"

Will you follow his advice and give up the fort?

f
Defend the Universe

Moves
27 Jan 12
2 edits

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Tomtom232's laser hits the LRM Carrier (Laser) in the front damaging the steering mechanism.

The Toro fires it's laser at forkedknight and blows his right arm off! Meanwhile he is hit with short range missiles, one of which damages his 'Mech's foot, others hammering the 'Mech's head!

The LRM Carrier (Laser) hits the Clint in the upper arm with o don't get yourselves killed!"

Will you follow his advice and give up the fort?
I'm afraid to ask for a full status report on my Wasp.

If I read everything correctly, I lost my Right Arm and my primary weapon (Med Laser) along with it, I have no Head armor, no Torso armor, no Left Arm armor, and my Right Leg is just about to fall off.

I would consider myself lucky to escape with my life intact.

Art, not a Toil

60.13N / 25.01E

Moves
27 Jan 12
1 edit

The gods of war are not with us in this bout, our mechs getting shredded while we miss. The fort is just terrain, as the opposition was able to have troops inside it without us getting a single shot at them before they were upon us. I'm inclined to retreat.

What a round..

Friendly:
* Icarus: HIT
* Clint: MISS
* Clint: MISS
* Wasp: MISS

Hostile:
* Harasser: HIT
* Toro: HIT
* Toro: HIT
* Toro: MISS
* Carrier: HIT
* Carrier: MISS
* Ferret: HIT

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
27 Jan 12

You retreat.

The Captain says, "You are good warriors. You were not properly equipped and I blame myself for that.

I'm going to trade the four 'Mechs you have been using for three new Mediums. The Icarus is a collector's item and the Clint is too specialized for extreme range combat.

Take a rest, have some fun. I'll get back to you with your new Battlemechs."

t

Moves
27 Jan 12
1 edit

Wow... what a slaughter. I can't believe that I had the only hit...maybe I should have moved in closer to be able to use all weapons which might have made me the primary target. If we then destroyed the lrm in exchange for the icarus I think it would have been a good trade.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
27 Jan 12

All right, 'Mechwarriors. I have traded Battlemechs. Here is what we have to work with, one for each of you: A Lineholder, a Blitzkrieg and a Griffin. Their names are pretty good introductions to how they're designed. The Lineholder has more armor than the others, a variety of weapons usable at many ranges and while quick on it's feet it is less mobile than the other two. The Blitzkrieg is a bit gimmicky; for it's size it's lightly armored, quick on it's feet and built around it's only weapon - a massive medium range cannon called an AC20, capable of obliterating almost any Battlemech in one shot with a lucky hit to the head. It is a slash and run sort of 'Mech. The Griffon is equipped with jump jets. For a 'Mech this size with that much armor that is quite impressive. A very flexible tool. So talk amongst yourselves. I recommend giving first pick to poor Forkedknight, but you make the call. Here they are:

Lineholder KW1-LH3
55 tons IS TW non-box set

Movement: 5/8
Engine: 275
Heat Sinks: 14

Internal: 91
Armor: 160/185
HD: 3 9
CT: 18 25 ( 6)
RT: 13 18 ( 5)
LT: 13 18 ( 5)
RA: 9 18
LA: 9 18
RL: 13 19
LL: 13 19

ER Large Laser [LA] 12 Heat
LRM 5 [RA] 2 Heat
LRM 5 [RA] 2 Heat
Medium Pulse Laser [LT] 4 Heat
Medium Pulse Laser [RT] 4 Heat

LRM 5 Ammo (24) [RT]

BV: 1,214 Cost: 4,608,667 Cbills

Blitzkrieg BTZ-3F
50 tons IS TW non-box set

Movement: 7/11
Engine: 350 XL
Heat Sinks: 10 [20]

Internal: 83 (Endo Steel)
Armor: 116/169 (Ferro-Fibrous)
HD: 3 8
CT: 16 17 ( 5)
RT: 12 13 ( 4)
LT: 12 13 ( 4)
RA: 8 10
LA: 8 10
RL: 12 16
LL: 12 16

Ultra AC/20 [CT/LT] 8 Heat

Ultra AC/20 Ammo (5) [RT]

BV: 1,273 Cost: 10,787,500 Cbills

Griffin GRF-1S
55 tons IS Introductory Box Set

Movement: 5/8/5
Engine: 275
Heat Sinks: 16

Internal: 91
Armor: 152/185
HD: 3 9
CT: 18 20 ( 7)
RT: 13 20 ( 6)
LT: 13 20 ( 6)
RA: 9 14
LA: 9 14
RL: 13 18
LL: 13 18

Large Laser [RA] 8 Heat
Medium Laser [RA] 3 Heat
Medium Laser [RA] 3 Heat
LRM 5 [LT] 2 Heat

LRM 5 Ammo (24) [RT]

BV: 1,253 Cost: 4,783,507 Cbills

t

Moves
27 Jan 12

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
All right, 'Mechwarriors. I have traded Battlemechs. Here is what we have to work with, one for each of you: A Lineholder, a Blitzkrieg and a Griffin. Their names are pretty good introductions to how they're designed. The Lineholder has more armor than the others, a variety of weapons usable at many ranges and while quick on it's feet it is less m ...[text shortened]... 3 Heat
LRM 5 [LT] 2 Heat

LRM 5 Ammo (24) [RT]

BV: 1,253 Cost: 4,783,507 Cbills
I'll take whatevers left as I'm afraid I severely misused my last mech.

f
Defend the Universe

Moves
28 Jan 12

All of these new mechs seems very appealing and pretty evenly matched.

The Lineholder has good armor, a nice array of weaponry for various ranges, but suffers from a lack of heat-sinking ability. It can really fire either its large laser or it's other weapons, but not both.

The Blitzkrieg is extremely quick and hard-hitting with its single high-powered cannon, but is less armored than the other mechs.

The Griffin is the most heavily armored and equipped with an average compliment of weaponry, but would handle rough terrain most easily with its jump-jets.

I would lean toward the speed and potentially killing or crippling power of the Blitzkrieg, but would be proud to pilot any of the mechs listed.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
28 Jan 12
3 edits

Talzamir, what are your preferences?

Some details - Ultra AC20 means it can be fired on automatic (multiple 20 damage shells in one turn) I THINK. Not sure.

ER Large Laser means it has Extended Range.

Pulse Medium Laser means it has REDUCED range but increased accuracy.

The Lineholder has more armor than the Griffin on many parts of it's body.

Art, not a Toil

60.13N / 25.01E

Moves
28 Jan 12

So.. we have
* a knight in full plate on a heavy warhorse, meant to survive a head-on match.
* an assassin, not so well armored, but able to reduce the opposition to a smoking ruin.
* a kangaroo that is very adept at boxing.

My preferences:
1st: Griffin
2nd: Blitzkrieg
3rd: Lineholder