Miracles

Miracles

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
01 May 17

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
That fact that you question everyone else's beliefs yet don't seem to even attempt to convince anyone of your own, seems to indicate that you have no conviction of your beliefs being true.
Why should I try to "convince" you of anything above and beyond what I already say and talk about and express interest in?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
01 May 17

Originally posted by FMF
I am not asking you what your perspective is about me. I am asking you what is the consequence for me of you believing your "universal truth" applies to me, whereas I do not?
Maybe you would be in a better position to tell me what the consequences of your beliefs are? How should I know? What an odd question.

F

Moves
01 May 17

...you have no conviction of your beliefs being true.
By "conviction" you mean "certainty", right? Give me an example of the kind of thing you want me to express my personal "certainty" about?

F

Moves
01 May 17
1 edit

Maybe you would be in a better position to tell me what the consequences of your beliefs are?
For you? There are none as far as I know.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
01 May 17

Originally posted by FMF
Why should I try to "convince" you of anything above and beyond what I already say and talk about and express interest in?
Obviously we have different takes on truth and its implications. If you feel you don't have to convince me of your beliefs why should I even start to think that you are convinced of them yourself?

F

Moves
01 May 17

Maybe you would be in a better position to tell me what the consequences of your beliefs are? How should I know? What an odd question.
I am asking what you think the consequences of your beliefs are for me. You said they were "universally true" so you must therefore believe they are of some "universal" consequence that applies to me, right?

F

Moves
01 May 17
1 edit

Obviously we have different takes on truth and its implications. If you feel you don't have to convince me of your beliefs why should I even start to think that you are convinced of them yourself?
But what does it matter to either of us whether or not you are convinced by my beliefs ~ or indeed whether or not you think I am convinced about my own?

F

Moves
01 May 17

...why should I even start to think that you are convinced of them yourself?
I do not know; why do you think you should?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
01 May 17

Originally posted by FMF
But what does it matter to either of us whether or not you are convinced by my beliefs ~ or indeed whether or not you think I am convinced about my own?
Well it obviously matters to me. 🙄

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
01 May 17

Originally posted by FMF
I am asking what you think the consequences of your beliefs are for me. You said they were "universally true" so you must therefore believe they are of some "universal" consequence that applies to me, right?
Obviously if I believe my beliefs are true then it means one consequence of you not sharing my beliefs, from my perspective, would be that you would are deceived and do not believe in the truth.

F

Moves
01 May 17

Well it obviously matters to me. 🙄
If it only matters to you, in what credible sense, shape or form, can it be said to be "universal"?

F

Moves
01 May 17

Obviously if I believe my beliefs are true then it means one consequence of you not sharing my beliefs, from my perspective, would be that you would are deceived and do not believe in the truth.
That is still a consequence for you - about what you think - about what you think about what I believe etc. - I am asking what consequence do your beliefs have for me in my life - something experienced, felt or perceived by me.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
01 May 17

Originally posted by FMF
If it only matters to you, in what credible sense, shape or form, can it be said to be "universal"?
Truth does not have to matter to everyone for it to be universal. For example, that fact that I fell off my bicycle and bruised my nutsack when I was 4 is the truth, but it surely does not matter to anyone who is not aware of it.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
01 May 17
1 edit

Truth does not have to matter to everyone for it to be universal. For example, that fact that I fell off my bicycle and bruised my nutsack when I was 4 is the truth, but it surely does not matter to anyone who is not aware of it.
You have personal knowledge of falling off your bike. You have no such personal knowledge about God or the creation of the universe, to justify any truth claims..

F

Moves
01 May 17

Truth does not have to matter to everyone for it to be universal.
So what do you actually think you are achieving with regard to everyone when you declare that your superstitious beliefs about supernatural things constitute "universal truths"?

If it has no consequence to me, for example, that you declare your beliefs to be "universal truths", what is your purpose for doing it when you talk to me?