Religious quandary

Religious quandary

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Feb 16
5 edits

The Apostle Paul, towards the end of his life, knew that God had transformed him to be subjectively righteous. He was not just in a righteous position. He was now [edited] finally dispositionally made righteous.

So, in addition to his expectation of eternal life, he looked forward to "the crown of righteousness".

" I have fought the fight; I have finished the course; I have kept the faith.

Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, with which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will recompense me in that day, and not only me but also all those who have loved His appearing." (2 Tim. 4:7,8)

1.) He is not expecting a "crown of mercy" or a "crown of pardon" or "a crown of forgiveness" or even "a crown of grace".

He is expecting "the crown of RIGHTEOUSNESS" for his subjective and dispositional righteous living.

2.) The giver of this crown is not "the Merciful Savior" though the Savior is indeed merciful. The giver of this reward is "the righteous Judge". It is a matter now of the Judge Jesus evaluating Paul's living as to have attained to behavioral righteousness.

3.) The crown of righteousness is a RECOMPENSE. Paul do not say here the Merciful Savior will present him with a GIFT. But he says the righteous Judge will RECOMPENSE him with this reward.

4.) The reward is not for an elite super spiritual few. It is available to "all those who have loved His appearing". That is any Christian who lives as if the Lord Jesus may come on him or her at any moment. That is a moment not met with dread and shock by expectation and longing - "all those who have LOVED His appearing" .

The Bible is balanced.

Moves
10 Feb 16

Originally posted by divegeester
I'm asking if, according to your interpretation of applied righteousness, that ALL Christian believers are entitled through Christ's sacrifice to have access to it. Irrespective of whether they are a Jehovah's Witness member or not?
Nudge for robbie carrobie.

Or roigam.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Feb 16
1 edit

typo correction:

That is a moment not met with dread and shock BUT [edited] with expectation and longing - "all those who have LOVED His appearing" .

Moves
10 Feb 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
No Christian has righteousness, if you cannot understand the difference between having righteousness and being declared righteous then you have failed to understand anything that was said. Your question betrays the fact that you have understood little for if you had you would not have asked it.
How are you defining "righteous", Robbie?

Today being Ash Wednesday, when from earliest times Christians have traditionally embarked upon a period of forty days of repentance, self-denial and abstinence, reminiscent of Jesus' forty days in the wilderness, this question of "righteousness" seems incongruous.

Human beings are surely not "righteous". In our own right we are fallen. It is as Paul said, the evil that I would not, I do, and the good that I would, I do not. It's concupiscence. However hard a person tries to live according to Christ's teachings, the tendency is to slip. Declaring oneself righteous because of the simple act of believing seems arrogant and presumptuous, falling into one sin while avoiding another. That's what we do. Because we're human.

Fortunately for us, Jesus showed us the way. In the parable of the two men praying in the temple, it was not the one loudly proclaiming himself as righteous and worthy that Jesus praised, but the poor man humbly kneeling at the back, saying "God have mercy on me, a sinner". The penitent thief on the cross received Jesus' mercy even at that time of his great torture.

It's God's mercy which is key. Not anybody's righteousness. Repentance, recognising our own absolute lack of righteousness, doing our best to act in love and when we fail relying on Jesus' mercy, these are what show us the way.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
10 Feb 16

Originally posted by Startreader

Today being Ash Wednesday, when from earliest times Christians have traditionally embarked upon a period of forty days of repentance, self-denial and abstinence, reminiscent of Jesus' forty days in the wilderness, this question of "righteousness" seems incongruous.

Human beings are surely not "righteous". I ...[text shortened]... ur best to act in love and when we fail relying on Jesus' mercy, these are what show us the way.
Nice post.

From an atheistic point of view, mercy is much more appealing than righteousness.

rc

Moves
10 Feb 16
1 edit

Human beings are surely not "righteous". I ...[text shortened]... ur best to act in love and when we fail relying on Jesus' mercy, these are what show us the way.
Oh my goodness, i have missed pancake Tuesday! How could that be. I usually alert the forum to pancake Tuesday every year, its from my childhood when my father used to make us pancakes on this day.

Righteous and righteousness do need a definition.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
10 Feb 16

In Matt 25, Jesus called the sheep, the righteous people. Was he mistaken?

Moves
10 Feb 16

Oh my goodness, i have missed pancake Tuesday! How could that be. I usually alert the forum to pancake Tuesday every year, its from my childhood when my father used to make us pancakes on this day.

Righteous and righteousness do need a definition.
Yes, it seems you have indeed missed Shrove Tuesday. My children used to line up, plate in hand, for as many pancakes as I could produce that would fill them up. It was a veritable production line and I was, and am, expert at tossing the pancake, though there was always the excitement of whether or not one would miss the pan, or even, they hoped, in an exuberant moment, one might hit the ceiling. Nothing nicer than pancakes with loads of fresh lemons to squeeze and lots of sugar!

It's Shrove Tuesday because the expectation was that all would have been to confession and would thus have been shriven at the point of Shrove Tuesday. These days, in this country, not so much, but this happens regularly at least once during the course of the spiritual exercise of Lent.

Moves
10 Feb 16

Originally posted by Rajk999
In Matt 25, Jesus called the sheep, the righteous people. Was he mistaken?
Again, as I asked Robbie, how are you defining righteous? And which Biblical translation are you using?

Of course Jesus is never mistaken. That would not be possible. But we must be very careful to be sure we understand exactly what he is saying.

Are you referring to verse 37? If so, even though the word righteous is not there in every translation, but if we accept that you are indeed referring to verse 37, it's very clear that not only are they described as righteous or upright or whatever your individual translation says, but that they are so described because they are the ones whom the Father has blessed and who fed him when he was hungry, gave him to drink when he was thirsty, clothed him when he was naked, and made him welcome when he was a stranger, for whatever people do for the least person they have done for him.

Thus, they are described as righteous, upright, or whatever word used in whatever translation, not in their own right and definitely not from a one-time act of belief, but because they have been blessed by the Father and that on account of their own actions, in other words their works.

If you are not referring to verse 37, please would you help me out by explains which passage you're referring to?

rc

Moves
10 Feb 16

Yes, it seems you have indeed missed Shrove Tuesday. My children used to line up, plate in hand, for as many pancakes as I could produce that would fill them up. It was a veritable production line and I was, and am, expert at tossing the pancake, though there was always the excitement of whether or not one would miss the pan, or even, they hoped, in an e ...[text shortened]... h, but this happens regularly at least once during the course of the spiritual exercise of Lent.
what are you planning on abstaining from Startreader?

Moves
10 Feb 16

what are you planning on abstaining from Startreader?
Chocolate, Robbie. Chocolate.

T

Moves
10 Feb 16
1 edit

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Nice post.

From an atheistic point of view, mercy is much more appealing than righteousness.
Fortunately you don't speak for all atheists. Evidently just the self-centered ones.

But then, from what I can tell, the vast majority of Christians find mercy more appealing than righteousness: The "free gift" is so much more appealing than actually being righteous that they've made it the core of their belief system.

Moves
10 Feb 16

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Fortunately you don't speak for all atheists. Evidently just the self-centered ones.

But then, from what I can tell, the vast majority of Christians find mercy more appealing than righteousness: The "free gift" is so much more appealing than actually being righteous that they've made it the core of their belief system.
How are you defining righteous? See above.

T

Moves
10 Feb 16

How are you defining righteous? See above.
As it's commonly understood:

right·eous /ˈrīCHəs/
adjective
1. (of a person or conduct) morally right or justifiable; virtuous.
"he is a good, righteous man, I am sure"

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
10 Feb 16

Again, as I asked Robbie, how are you defining righteous? And which Biblical translation are you using?

Of course Jesus is never mistaken. That would not be possible. But we must be very careful to be sure we understand exactly what he is saying.

Are you referring to verse 37? If so, even though the word righteous is not there in every translation ...[text shortened]... ferring to verse 37, please would you help me out by explains which passage you're referring to?
You are answering your own question and yet asking me to define righteous. Did not Christ provide a practical definition?

According to Christ in that passage, that group of people, the sheep, are righteous in His eyes, and they are rewarded with eternal life. No ifs or buts about it. End of story.

Moving on, there are many other practical definitions given by the Apostles that makes the meaning clearer. Here are three passages from John:

1Jn_2:29 If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.
1Jn_3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
1Jn_3:10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

There is no variation in meaning so I cannot see how translation is relevant