1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    15 Jan '05 21:431 edit
    I am happy to announce we have new servers due in the next week or two.

Yes, it is that time of year when I try to get the best deal on new hardware and services, and then reach cautiously for my credit card, convincing myself we can afford to spend 'just a little bit more', before putting 'it' on the line for another year.

The migration to new servers will result in a little downtime sometime in over the next two weeks. I will give as much notice as possible, and we will do all we can to keep the outage to minimum.

I suspect the spec of the new equipment will be capable of sustaining the site growth over the coming year without even straining. Hurrah! 🙂

-Russ
  2. Standard memberDOlivier2004
    A Lost Bobby
    The Bermuda Triangle
    Moves
    16 Jan '05 17:25
    Shall we assume that with the migration to the new servers that it will have the capacity to handle such large tournaments as the 2005 Championship (and the traffic that will be generated with 455 people checking their status 10 times a day on one single page, not to mention the page constantly being updated as moves are made, games are finished and points are calculated?)
  3. Amsterdam
    Moves
    16 Jan '05 18:49
    Hey Russ, can't you just sell all the old servers? That should bring in a little cash, wouldn't it?

O.
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    16 Jan '05 20:151 edit
    Hey Russ, can't you just sell all the old servers? That should bring in a little cash, wouldn't it?

O.
    We lease machines.

-Russ
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    16 Jan '05 20:20
    Originally posted by DOlivier2004
    Shall we assume that with the migration to the new servers that it will have the capacity to handle such large tournaments as the 2005 Championship (and the traffic that will be generated with 455 people checking their status 10 times a day on one single page, not to mention the page constantly being updated as moves are made, games are finished and points are calculated?)
    Possibly, but probably not. 🙂

I will get something up soon - I just have other priorities at the moment. (Such as the migration itself.)

-Russ
  6. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    17 Jan '05 23:45
    LOL, RHP migrates for the winter, hilarious! 😀
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    18 Jan '05 10:10
    Yep. I believe we are heading to Texas this time. This site had travelled more extensively in the US than I ever have.

-Russ

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree