1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Joined
    21 Feb '01
    Moves
    1795
    29 Sep '11 09:00
    As a long term holdout, reluctant to embrace Facebook, we have decided to give it a try to see if turns out to be useful. We most definitely will use is to communicate to users should the site be unavailable for any reason.

    Give us a like right here RedHotPawn.com on Facebook. We have added a link to the page footer too under support.
  2. Joined
    17 Feb '05
    Moves
    45035
    03 Oct '11 18:27
    Well, I'm understanding the business strategy to survive, Facebook will be a strong partner.
    Anyway I don't like Facebook and others social network and hope RHP will don't share my personal data with this site or others similar sites apart 2co.

    Cheers

    -tng
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    04 Oct '11 05:057 edits
    Why didn't you ask first? Please canvass your subscribers more proactively. What does embrace facebook mean? I'm giving it a don't like thumbs down, and will probably let my sub expire. Is there no safe place?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Facebook
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    316973
    04 Oct '11 07:51
    The RHP Twitter page is useful for site outages, but I don't believe that Facebook can add anything to what Twitter could already provide. I would prefer that none of my personal information is accessible to Facebook and support the previous posters in this.
  5. Joined
    29 Apr '09
    Moves
    14207
    04 Oct '11 10:26
    I am also not a facebook subscriber though I am a member of LinkedIn!

    I use LinkedIn because of my professional connections in Strategic Finance all over North America (San Francisco, New York and Iowa, USA), Asia (Manila, Philippines & Chang Mai, Thailand), Europe (London, UK and Copenhagen, Denmark) and Pert, Australia!

    Thanks,
    Cenen Herrera
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Joined
    21 Feb '01
    Moves
    1795
    04 Oct '11 10:331 edit
    No data will be "shared" with Facebook (unless initiated by the user), so just look at it as RHP having a "presence" on Facebook.

    We may do some integration, but this is not going to be a process of adding features that would otherwise not be available on the main site.

    There is absolutely no reason why you should sign up to Facebook to use the RHP page, but if you have an account and you use Facebook already, and the reality is now that most people active on the web do, then please give us a like.
  7. Joined
    17 Sep '07
    Moves
    44379
    04 Oct '11 20:36
    I don't like FB and i don't see any reason at all to mix RHP with it.
    No reason, no added value, no need to have social forum links and interaction.
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    6873
    05 Oct '11 14:061 edit
    Originally posted by Russ
    you use Facebook already, and the reality is now that most people active on the web do
    I doubt this. I know that Facebook, Twitter, WhatWasYesterday'sCoolSiteAgain?I'veAlreadyForgottenThem and the like want you to believe that it is absolutely critical that you sign over all your data to them and conduct all your relationships through anti-social networking sites like those, or else you'll be not cool, sorry, k3wl and will be behind the times and an old technophobe geezer, but really, it's all bumph. It's like, well, it's like what's on the telly as I write this: party conferences. Lots of people pretending to be important and using the in-crowd words of today, very little real content.

    Feel free to post messages to facebook or whatever tomorrow's hip, dudelicious site will be - you won't be finding me there. I'll be here, actually playing chess on a chess site.

    Richard
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10260
    05 Oct '11 22:35
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    I doubt this. I know that Facebook, Twitter, WhatWasYesterday'sCoolSiteAgain?I'veAlreadyForgottenThem and the like want you to believe that it is absolutely critical that you sign over all your data to them and conduct all your relationships through anti-social networking sites like those, or else you'll be not cool, sorry, k3wl and will b ...[text shortened]... be finding me there. I'll be here, actually playing chess on a chess site.

    Richard
    You're a noob.
  10. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    316973
    05 Oct '11 23:43
    Last I heard, parents were joining Facebook in droves to find out what their kids were up to, and kids are leaving in droves because it's just not cool anymore. What's the next big thing?
  11. Joined
    07 May '08
    Moves
    105634
    06 Oct '11 04:11
    I don't support the facebook move either.
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    6873
    07 Oct '11 12:54
    Originally posted by Trev33
    You're a noob.
    That's (a parody of, I presume) exactly the attitude which ensures that you won't find me on the anti-social media any time soon.

    Richard
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    08 Oct '11 05:281 edit
    Originally posted by Russ
    No data will be "shared" with Facebook (unless initiated by the user), so just look at it as RHP having a "presence" on Facebook.

    We may do some integration, but this is not going to be a process of adding features that would otherwise not be available on the main site.

    There is absolutely no reason why you should sign up to Facebook to use the RHP page ...[text shortened]... y, and the reality is now that most people active on the web do, then please give us a like.
    It's 8 to one against. I am betting that the only reason it's not more, is that this announcement is under most people's radar. Please give details about exactly what RHP data on subs will be given to Facebook. And do it as an email to all subs.
  14. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Joined
    21 Feb '01
    Moves
    1795
    10 Oct '11 13:553 edits
    Ok, lets get this clear. No data is going to Facebook. The Facebook page is just a RHP "presence" on Facebook. It is a page on Facebook, about RHP. Nothing more.

    If in future there is an option to link an account from here to Facebook, then that will be discussed at the time, but this will be something initiated by the individual.
  15. Joined
    17 Feb '05
    Moves
    45035
    10 Oct '11 17:33
    Originally posted by Russ
    Ok, lets get this clear. No data is going to Facebook. The Facebook page is just a RHP "presence" on Facebook. It is a page on Facebook, about RHP. Nothing more.

    If in future there is an option to link an account from here to Facebook, then that will be discussed at the time, but this will be something initiated by the individual.
    That's OK for me.
Back to Top