1. Standard memberSmiffy
    SPS CLAN
    Wales
    Moves
    05 Dec '14 22:10
    Same I thought why do I need to subscribe. I know it's bait but I'll keep an eye on the tournament now and see if any subscribe.
  2. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 12:46
    I started here as a non-sub and played for several years. Then I entered one of the very rare non-sub tournaments ... and I was hooked. When that finished I couldn't imagine returning to playing only 6 games so I subscribed.

It worked to bring me in as a subscriber!
  3. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 08:21
    Originally posted by FlyingWolf
    Hardly a Yuletide spirit I know, but I for one am a bit disappointed to read this. I became a subscriber to enjoy all the main RHP benefits that come with unrestricted number of concurrent games, the option to enter tournaments if I wanted to and so on. On the basis that these benefits are now being made available to non-subscribers and therefore at nil-c ...[text shortened]... my username is worth the current subscription alone and I probably therefore won't be renewing.
    Wow. I subscribe here and pay. Two other sites offered to let me play for free and still I only play here. Sorry you feel that way.
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 02:22
    I suggested that one of my long-term opponents join a trial tourney, I think she may subscribe as a result of the experience. I also discovered that she could only sign up for one of the two trial tourneys on offer, and someone else pointed out that they couldn't sign up for either, as they'd participated in a previous nonsub tourney.

So a once-off experience, with even a few new subscribers as a result, is hardly something for other paying customers to get upset about.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '11
    Moves
    12 Dec '14 07:24
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I suggested that one of my long-term opponents join a trial tourney, I think she may subscribe as a result of the experience. I also discovered that she could only sign up for one of the two trial tourneys on offer, and someone else pointed out that they couldn't sign up for either, as they'd participated in a previous nonsub tourney.

So a once-off expe ...[text shortened]... new subscribers as a result, is hardly something for other paying customers to get upset about.
    That's your opinion, everyone is different, I feel that it would be a bad experience if say the number of already loyal subscribers not renewing outnumbered the number of new subscribers.
  6. Northamptonshire, UK
    Moves
    12 Dec '14 11:04
    Quite agree!
  7. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    12 Dec '14 13:56
    Originally posted by Sirdubalot
    That's your opinion, everyone is different, I feel that it would be a bad experience if say the number of already loyal subscribers not renewing outnumbered the number of new subscribers.
    I wouldn't call subscribers 'loyal' if they don't renew their subscription because of this marketing bonus for non-subs.

The list of advantages for subs has been mentioned before and is long enough. Don't forget it is only a temporary action from 6 to 12 games and 1 trial tournament, aimed at attracting more subscriptions. There isn't a single reason why anyone would stop subscribing. In a few months, the trial tournaments have ended and all non-subs are back to 6 games.
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '11
    Moves
    12 Dec '14 17:10
    Originally posted by tvochess
    I wouldn't call subscribers 'loyal' if they don't renew their subscription because of this marketing bonus for non-subs.

The list of advantages for subs has been mentioned before and is long enough. Don't forget it is only a temporary action from 6 to 12 games and 1 trial tournament, aimed at attracting more subscriptions. There isn't a single reason wh ...[text shortened]... cribing. In a few months, the trial tournaments have ended and all non-subs are back to 6 games.
    Why don't you subscribe then?
  9. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    15 Dec '14 08:46
    Originally posted by Sirdubalot
    Why don't you subscribe then?
    Let's first find out whether I can cope with the extra games and enjoy tournament play.
  10. Standard memberyavash
    lovin the sea breeze
    Up North!
    Moves
    15 Dec '14 17:48
    at the risk of offending subscribers.... was it only the one tournament being offered to non-subs? thanks
  11. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    16 Dec '14 16:251 edit
    There were two, probably just to increase the size of the potential new-subscriber pool. It seems that you can only subscribe to ONE trial tournament in the whole lifetime of your username, so nobody could sign up for both.

I would hate to see this site go downhill because of the loss rate for renewing subscribers. The big player pool is one of its best features.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 14:18
    Originally posted by FlyingWolf
    Hardly a Yuletide spirit I know, but I for one am a bit disappointed to read this. I became a subscriber to enjoy all the main RHP benefits that come with unrestricted number of concurrent games, the option to enter tournaments if I wanted to and so on. On the basis that these benefits are now being made available to non-subscribers and therefore at nil-c ...[text shortened]... my username is worth the current subscription alone and I probably therefore won't be renewing.
    I agree,there seems little point in paying the not insubstantial subscription of £20+. I think,reducing the number of games for non-subscribers,then reducing the subs.to about £10,might encourage more people to subscribe to what is a really great chess site!🙄
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 22:501 edit
    It's interesting to me that someone who may have an average level of income and expenses can object to a $40 annual cost for using a functioning chess-playing website, but will happily fork out $400 for a play-station gadget which will be replaced with another a year later.
  14. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    22 Dec '14 11:05
    Why can't you accept that everyone decides on their own and for their own personal reasons whether they subscribe or not?
  15. Joined
    15 Jan '15
    Moves
    15 Jan '15 04:581 edit
    On the basis that these benefits are nowskinny leather trousers[/url] being made available to non-subscribers and therefore at nil-cost, could someone please convince me why I should bother renewing my subscription in January? Personally I'm not so sure that a vacation flag (most people can access RHP now wherever they are in the world)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree