1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Joined
    21 Feb '01
    Moves
    1795
    14 Jan '08 18:03
    Tonight at 9pm GMT we will be taking the site down for approximately 30 minutes to complete a server upgrade. No new features, sorry, but an essential update for one component of our server software.

    -Russ
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    14 Jan '08 18:17
    Originally posted by Russ
    Tonight at 9pm GMT we will be taking the site down for approximately 30 minutes to complete a server upgrade. No new features, sorry, but an essential update for one component of our server software.

    -Russ
    4pm Eastern? Will it be back up by 5pm Eastern? I have a VERY important deadline to meet.

    P-
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Joined
    21 Feb '01
    Moves
    1795
    14 Jan '08 21:20
    The maintenance screen displayed initially at the start of the outage stated that timeouts are suspended for 24 hours. This is not the case in this instance.

    -Russ
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Joined
    21 Feb '01
    Moves
    1795
    14 Jan '08 21:57
    The update was aborted and will be attempted again in the near future. We will vary the time of the work so hopefully people are not repeatedly affected by downtime.

    -Russ
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    15 Jan '08 00:10
    Originally posted by Russ
    The update was aborted and will be attempted again in the near future. We will vary the time of the work so hopefully people are not repeatedly affected by downtime.

    -Russ
    Please do not make it at 1201 Eastern time Thursday.

    P-
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    414483
    15 Jan '08 04:58
    When you have a planned outage , why is it that you put a hold on the timeouts for a " 24 hour" period? Shouldn't it be for the same time as the outage. That is giving the person whos move it is an unfair time advantage in my opinion, for what it is worth. Especially in the 24hr. move games, gives who evers move it is an extra 24 hrs. that his opponent didn't get !
  7. The sky
    Joined
    05 Apr '05
    Moves
    10385
    15 Jan '08 09:10
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    When you have a planned outage , why is it that you put a hold on the timeouts for a " 24 hour" period? Shouldn't it be for the same time as the outage. That is giving the person whos move it is an unfair time advantage in my opinion, for what it is worth. Especially in the 24hr. move games, gives who evers move it is an extra 24 hrs. that his opponent didn't get !
    Some people have limited internet access or time and can only get online at a certain time of the day. So if the site is down at that time, they miss the opportunity to move for that day.
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    414483
    15 Jan '08 15:31
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Some people have limited internet access or time and can only get online at a certain time of the day. So if the site is down at that time, they miss the opportunity to move for that day.
    Thank You, I hadn't thought about that. Now I see the reasoning for it.
Back to Top