1. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '05 23:21
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    I'm disappointed that Zumdahl has been picked. He has demonstrated a complete lack of understanding of how chess engines choose and calculate moves.
    Of course people may disagree with me but I thought the major thing needed for the game mods was ability to detect cheats. But without a working knowledge of simple chess engine mechanics (how the horizon effect works etc.) how can you do this?

Well I guess we'll see how good a job they do.
    Interesting... See, we had a similar situation where I work (DELPHI). and upper management decided that they were no longer going to promote the tradesman from the floor to a supervisry position. Their idea was that you could train ANYBODY to do the job!

Soooo, when looking at people to choose for the job, it's not so important what their abilities are... it's important that they are trainable.

Don't flame me, I'm just a messenger.
    🙂
  2. Standard memberFat mans revenge
    Pennywise Says Hi
    Up from mainstream
    Moves
    03 Feb '05 23:46
    Way to go Russ! Seems that "to-do-list" just got a couple items shorter...But then again, in the time it took me to write this, I'm sure at least five other things have been added. Good Luck!😛

-Fatty
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Feb '05 01:54
    Originally posted by SirUlrich
    Can you read? Who have I accused?
    I merely put forward one reason why TRACKHEAD wasn't selected by Russ,

Despite the number of votes. I would think Russ knows what he is doing.

You are right I wanted mateuloser banned, he was a worthless individual, with nothing positive to offer:
    funnily enough Russ agreed with me there too
    🙂
    Since you lack mind reading skills as far as I know and haven't the foggiest actual idea why Russ picked who he did, to say that TRACKHEAD wasn't selected because he "might" be a cheat, is a cheating accusation, pure and simple. As such it's inappropriate.

I wasn't referring to mateulose (who was banned for doing things well after you initially wanted him banned); I was referring to your statement about people who post on FW being banned. FW has nothing to do with this site; but your cheating accusation in this very thread is contrary to what Russ requested. As such, you should admit your error and retract it. And to suggest that Russ "agrees" with you that TRACKHEAD is a cheat is a totally unsubstantiated assertion with no facts supporting it whatsoever and is, in addition, libelous towards that fellow player.

4. London
    Moves
    04 Feb '05 02:09
    Originally posted by The Slow Pawn
    Very sensible post really ...

If he really topped himself you should be ****** sorry and all the others that bullied him so badly here ... Yeah he was a right pain in the neck, but so are other people here (and everywhere) ...
    escuse me 😲...if you ask GEOS, no1 , and any of the other ppl on FW you would notice that i was trying to persuade him NOT to do it...my family had a good friend who killed himself..it was not pretty and not enjoyable for everyone involved...trust me i know. i even asked him to email me to talk about it....i wasnt encouraging him to do it.

fred
  5. Standard memberThe Slow Pawn
    HIT THE LIGHTS
    Moves
    04 Feb '05 08:15
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Since you lack mind reading skills as far as I know and haven't the foggiest actual idea why Russ picked who he did, to say that TRACKHEAD wasn't selected because he "might" be a cheat, is a cheating accusation, pure and simple. As such it's inappropriate.

So there is gonna be a reason ... And if it's not cheating then please tell me what the reason could be??? Zumdahl didn't get half as much votes as Trackhead, yet he is (quite rightly) on the committee.

I for sure draw my conclusions out of that decision (without the need to publish anything accusations any further). Any of you fools still blind - So be it !!!

Good day
    Boris
  6. Standard memberSirUlrich
    Love gave me wings
    Turfed Out
    Moves
    04 Feb '05 08:34
    Being an honest and fair minded person I would like to say that:

Maybe TRACKHEAD is not a cheat and there are other reasons that make him unsuitable/undesirable for this trustworthy post
    🙂

In any case Boris is quite correct, the team selected looks superb. Let us support them and Russ 100% and look forward to a cheat free RHP. After all the mindless inhabitants of FW are very welcome to set up their own chess site where they can play with themselves.
  7. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    04 Feb '05 08:48
    Being an honest and fair minded person I would like to say that:

Maybe TRACKHEAD is not a cheat and there are other reasons that make him unsuitable/undesirable for this trustworthy post
    🙂

In any case Boris is quite correct, the team selected looks superb. Let us support them and Russ 100% and look forward to a cheat free RHP. After all the mindles ...[text shortened]... nts of FW are very welcome to set up their own chess site where they can play with themselves.
    How do you know the people that frequent fw are mindless?

Just wondering

Nyxie
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    04 Feb '05 09:33
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    How do you know the people that frequent fw are mindless?

Just wondering

Nyxie
    umm... me, you, darv.... not looking good so far Nyxie 😛
  9. DonationQuirine
    Tovenaar
    Dieren
    Moves
    04 Feb '05 09:43
    So there is gonna be a reason ... And if it's not cheating then please tell me what the reason could be??? Zumdahl didn't get half as much votes as Trackhead, yet he is (quite rightly) on the committee.

I for sure draw my conclusions out of that decision (without the need to publish anything accusations any further). Any of you fools still blind - So be it !!!

Good day
    Boris
    Maybe it's because Trackhead21 is too controversial here.
    Just speculating.. (note: this is not my opinion, I don't know Trackhead21 other than what I read in the forums)

I agree that mentioning it is because of possible cheating is not done and against Russ' wishes.
  10. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    04 Feb '05 10:221 edit
    Originally posted by arrakis
    Soooo, when looking at people to choose for the job, it's not so important what their abilities are... it's important that they are trainable.
    My only question is: Why go through the sham of voting? Apart from David Tebb, there is absolutely no correlation to the vote. Clearly those chosen would have been chosen regardless.
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    04 Feb '05 15:211 edit
    Let it go, guys. At least the choice has been made and we're on our way. On our way to what, I don't know. But on our way to something, nonetheless.

From my point of view, there should be no further need to blab on about who's qualified or who's tainted or who's cheating, etc. Let's get back to playing some chess, like the good old days. Remember those days? Me neither.
  12. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    04 Feb '05 16:23

maybe TRACKHEAD is a cheat and thus doesn't qualify
    much as it loaths me to agree with no1 (😉) I do here. Although saying that a decision was taken because some might be a cheat might not be an accusation it is an insinuation that might damage a persons reputation. Please don't post things of this nature.

Thanks

Jon
  13. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Feb '05 17:32
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    My only question is: Why go through the sham of voting? Apart from David Tebb, there is absolutely no correlation to the vote. Clearly those chosen would have been chosen regardless.
    This one I agree with. The team is fine aside from the one player who has used an engine before. Other than that I have no problems with the team except that neither grayeyes or gatecrasher are on it. Grayeyes despite whatever happened with him recently along with Tebb were the best people for the job. Gatecrasher was a good person too and more wanted by the site. Clearly though Russ lied when he said that the vote would have some type of influence. Mostly because of the exclusion of either gate or grayeyes makes the team not whole and for that reason I can't in good conscious support this site with my money. So by by star. I'm not going anywhere though, I still have more tourneys to finish up winning and some clan matches and leagues to finish up with until I'm down to and stuck with 6 games at a time :-) That and Uchess will keep my satisfied.
  14. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    04 Feb '05 18:541 edit
    Actually, Trackhead got 6 times as many votes as Zumdahl.

But by your logic there are another 7 "cheats" who volunteered for the game mods and received more votes than Zumdahl: Greyeyes, Mephisoto2, myself, Cheshire Cat, Arrakis, Ragnorak and NicolaiS.

So I certainly hope there IS another reason.
  15. London
    Moves
    04 Feb '05 18:56
    Originally posted by TRACKHEAD21
    This one I agree with. The team is fine aside from the one player who has used an engine before. Other than that I have no problems with the team except that neither grayeyes or gatecrasher are on it. Grayeyes despite whatever happened with him recently along with Tebb were the best people for the job. Gatecrasher was a good person too and more wanted by ...[text shortened]... until I'm down to and stuck with 6 games at a time :-) That and Uchess will keep my satisfied.
    just for the record TRACKHEAD a change in your profile wouldn't go amiss 😀

fred

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree